Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
This is a bit disappointing. I used to have an Africa Twin (RD07A) but a back injury forced me to get rid of it and I thought I get the smaller version in the form of a 700 TA. Seat is better, its lighter and lower and all the reviews said its good for 100K miles and you can cross continents on it.

So I part with the pennies, and get a 2008 TA with two years ago. 18K miles on it and a full Honda service history. Its now done 20K (rehabilitation etc preventing riding it much, always garaged and usually dry miles) and its got a PGMFI fault (posted earlier), the silencer has rotted through, the finish on the wheels is coming off, the fork legs have gone furry after one outing in the rain, the exhaust heat shield rattles like a skeleton having a **** in a biscuit tin, the forks bottom out and are so soft and spongy, the rear suspension is very harsh when you first start riding and then softens up after about 15 mins. Legendary Honda build quality? You could only cross a continent on it if your name was Gulliver and the continent in question was Lilliput, and then you have to push the bloody thing across it.

Compare with my 1980 R65 BMW, its starts, stops and goes round corners. 23K on the clock and it looks better than the TA, you can fix it with duct tape, a teaspoon and cable ties (not that its ever needed it), 250 miles on a tank full instead of 175 and you see them advertised with 80K on the clock.

I would bin the TA for a BMW, except that the dealers are too snooty - "you have a Transalp sir, are you sure a BMW is something you could handle?". Overall, really disappointed with it and wouldn't have another.
If you are not happy with it, move on. Quite simple really.

Perhaps, some of the issues you have are part of the risk/charm of buying used.

You desire another BMW but you let snooty dealers put you off??? I'm sure you aren't the first wishing to trade to the (supposedly) premium brand from a middling Jap bike.

If your R65 is so good, sell the Alp & stick with that ('cos the rattly old things don't have any quirks, foibles or weaknesses do they.....?)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had several BMW airheads and still have a old R80RT stashed away and although I like them they have plenty of faults and since about 1981 the finish is not much better than anything else in fact the frame finish on the 81 model was total crap! If Iv'e learnt one thing over the years its that BMWs sell on good marketing not on good reliability they might rattle on forever with plenty of maintenance but it takes a lot more than that to make a complete motorcycle.

My 04 650 transalp which Iv'e had for fourteen years has only done 31,000 miles but apart from normal servicing and replacing two needle bearings on the suspension link (which I could have left alone) its not needed anything its the best all round bike Iv'e ever owned it weighs around one hundred pounds less than bigger adventure bikes and the way I ride these days I get 55 --- 62 MPG ---- wouldn't swap it for any BMW :grin:

61 - 64 of 64 Posts