Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across a list of highest roads/passes in UK
Highest Roads
whilst browsing I have loaded them into a spreadsheet so they can be sorted easily.
Spreadsheet has been updated Intro +3 sheets-
1 All pases some may be routes not legal for motor vehicles
2 Passes that the OS map indicates they are legal for motor vehicles
The righthand column has hyperlinks to OS mapping.
3 All passes in the format for loading into Memory Map could be used as a basisfor loading into other mapping systems

View attachment High Roads ver02.xls

Maps

high roads englad wales.jpg high roads.scotland.jpg

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Interesting! Could one possibly drive most of them during a week, since they are within resonable distance from each other?

And they all got such cool names!

Lake district is a place I really would like to visit!

/Kjell

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done a check, about 120 of the 160 appear to be on ordinary roads, as shown on the OS links given, that is the are shown in yellow, brown, red or green on the map.
I am preparing an updated spreadsheet as the weather is too wet to do anything outside!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's a nice place if you are interested in following caravans around narrow roads.
Not a truer word written, not worth the increase in blood pressure ;)

I am preparing an updated spreadsheet as the weather is too wet to do anything outside!
The rain has indeed brought some good :D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
most of those on th elist look to be bridleways so not open to traffic. Check before you ride any of them.
+1 I know some of these from MTB and offroading

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Good find and thanks for the spreadsheet

What would help is if local to the area offroad riders could clarify which are not suitable for those that don't like offroad

This is good intel

·
Registered
773 Posts
Done corriearrack on MTB, no motor vehicles. Excellent day out. Remember my mate stuffing his punctured tyre with grass in a vain effort to escape midge swarms.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
cheers, very interesting stuff. I can see a Munro bagging mentality approaching :thumbleft:

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
cheers, very interesting stuff. I can see a Munro bagging mentality approaching :thumbleft:
Yep, who's up for doing it in a day?!

(I did just mean the northern bits BTW)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually got round to doing a bit of high roads riding yesterday, did the Black Mountains-Gospel Pass and the 2 other high roads in the area south of Hay. It was a pleasant day, mild, high cloud not bright sun, cannot read the satnav in bright sun! quite alot of gravel/mud wash across the lanes. Stuck to normal roads, although many of the lanes were green (grass in the middle) so no problem for most bikes. Only saw bikes at the top of Gospel Pass, a Honda CM250 (semi custom twin) and a group of trail bikes XR/DZR etc.
Of the 3 high roads on Gospel was a real pass, the other 2 were just roads that were above 1400' but made a nice trip out, via Llanthony Priory. Pictures below from the high points.
Route
map black mtns.jpg

gospel pass.JPG
parc y mierch.JPG

Mynydd Brith.JPG

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Essex only needs another 1000 ft on your hills to make the list, did not realise that you had any hills in Essex, nearly 400 ft high. Do not worry only Somerset and Devon make the list in England south of the Peaks. That is why I have gone abroad (Wales) to try their roads.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exmoor hills and valleys
A soft road tour of Exmoor’s high roads and valleys, scenic, not challenging unless you are on a Harley (big & heavy) or R1 (poor steering lock) type bike.
Slide4.JPG
From Weddon Cross on the A396 south of Minehead to A39 Blackmoor Gate or Lynton.
All roads are surfaced a few A and B roads some narrow roads with surface in poor condition, generally in the valleys. Lanes through woodland can be very slippery after rain and in autumn.
Takes in all the high roads from the busy Dunkery Beacon (walkers) to the quiet Kinsford Gate and the Oare and Heddons Mouth valleys. A few fords at Dunkery and along the Oare valley, although there are bridges to bypass some fords, some were dry although having depth measures alongside, must have been the dry spell-2 days without rain!
Route starts at Weddon Cross goes over Dunkery Beacon,. Zig zags across the moorlands to cross Lang Combe and Lucoott Cross, down the Oare Valley to Malmsmead (Lorna Doone farm and pub) along narrow lanes to the B3223 head south over the Exe Plain to Simonsbath (pubs). Choose either direct route to Kinsford Gate or indirect route via Barle River bridge (surprisingly large river) and Sportsman’s Inn at Sandyway Cross on to Kinsford Gate. Continue over the high moors until the road drops down to Five Cross Way. Go north to Yelland Cross, narrow lanes with fords (all dry) and lots of gates, or west towards Bratton Fleming. Take A399 north to Blackmoor Gate then A39 east to the turning to Killington. for the road to Heddons Mouth and the Hunters Inn, beer and a walk down the valley? Then take coast lanes to the Valley of the Rocks, Lynton and Lynmouth. Part is a toll road, just to the west of Valley of the Rocks, with an honesty box.

Attachments

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Excellent post Dod

·
Registered
38 Posts
Inspired by dod's excellent posts, the weather was set fair yesterday and as quite a few off the Welsh highest roads are within an hours ride, printed off a couple off maps, fired up the Dommie and set off. A40 to Llandovery then Rhandirmwyn and up to Llyn Brianne. Took the road around the reservoir then out to Esgair Gelli and circled back past Soar y Mynydd. I've never been on the Esgair Gelli road before - absolutely stunning. Then up and over the pass and down to Abergwesin. Llanwrtyd Wells, round the Sugar Loaf, Llandovery and home.Here's some pics from my phone, as close to the highest points as I could estimate:

A very enjoyable run 25% gradients, potholes, water, gravel, branches, debris - great stuff! :D

Many thanks to dod for putting this together.

There are more pics here if anyone is interested.

Esgair Ffrwd1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Trev

1 - 20 of 32 Posts