Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As summer might have arrived I did a few more High Roads last Thursday on the Vara.
This time east south Wales, all paved 'ordinary' roads, the summit roads were fair but some of the approach roads had poor surfaces badly pot-holed and torn up and the bits through woodland were quite slippery with wet leaves and gravel wash The councils appear to look after the scenic part but not getting there!
All quite similar appearance grassy with rock outcrops and of course sheep, well it is Wales. ESWales2.JPG ESWales1.JPG

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Dod - love the way you've posted this

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yesterday I did some high roads in the west of South Wales, started at Bridgend after a 70 mile M5/M4 ride. North through the Valleys to Hirwaun then loop across the Black Mountains back to Hirwaun, then the 70 miles back home.
All surfaced roads the group in the Valleys was mostly on the A4061, the adventure was getting through the traffic in the towns near Bridgend and along the Rhondda..
North of the Heads of the Valleys road the scenery changes from industrial to agricultural and the high roads become quite narrow tarmaced tracks. The only traffic was sheep, had to stop for 'just a few minutes' the farmer said whilst they drove some sheep off the mountain down the road, it was about 20 minutes in the end. Sheep seems scared of their own shadows see sheepish sheep at Senni Hill.
I had planned to do a loop north of Merthyr Tydfil but ran out of time with the sheep delay and my slow riding.
Saw a CB400/4 at the summit of Bwlch Cerrig Duon and a couple on a GS stopped to see if I had problems whilst I was stopped in Raglan phoning home with my ETA, thanks but no problem this time. wswales1.JPG wswales2.JPG wswales3.JPG

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one DOD

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Didn't know either that we had hills that high down here.Might have to have a go and see if they got any lanes on them:thumb:
Thanks for the maps and pics:blob:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Found this link to a downloadable pdf file of the highest road descriptions, from a cycling perspective http://www.hodology.com/resources/Highest-Roads.pdf
Was actually looking up the highest points in each county list having found a book in Works on the subject. Of course I did not buy the book, assumed the data would be on the net anyway-it is

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
another great find, some great winter perusing to be done.
Keep em coming.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As it has been too cold for me to go out in the garage & I am waiting for parts I spent some computer time on the county highest points and roads inputting them into my Memory map. I have zipped some output files if you want to plan some routes. Some of the highest roads are in the high roads list.
Zip file contains-
An Excel file of the highest points in each county in England Wales and Scotland and the pre 1964 counties, OS grid coordinates.
An Excel file of English county highest points and roads Lat/Long coordinates
A GPX file of English county highest points and roads
The highest roads are through roads (passes) not tracks to the radio mast or similar.

View attachment English county high points high roads.zip

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Unfortunately they won't open on the phone, will try later on a proper comp.
I wonder if we can arrange a few xrv meets next year where locals can take us on their highest passes. A bit like a mini round Britain rally but with xrvers & covering the highest passes?

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Some more data out of my Memory Map database, my bits did not arrive in todays post!
Airfield sites split into pre and post 1920ish (WW1 and later) generated from data I found online some years ago, seems to have most but not all airfields.
National Trust, English Heritage and Cadw sites,no Scottish equivalents. Get some partner points after dragging them to bleak hilltops whilst bagging highest points/roads/passes.
MCC Lands End and Exeter hills used over the last few years.
There are 2 files for each
GPX and csv from Memory Map, the bmp files for special icons used in Memory Map are included

View attachment airfield NTEH MCC.zip

21 - 32 of 32 Posts