Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an XRV event, but I thought I'd pop a ride report in anyway . . .

The Highland ABR Simmer Rally at Ullapool started on Thursday 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] September when several intrepid travellers got there ahead of the main gaggle of riders. I rode up early on Friday morning to find that one had already left the site due to damaged tent/wet ground/high winds, and another had already headed out on a run. After a blether, Scott of his XTZ660 Tenere and Dave on his XTZ1200 Tenere decided they’d trust my sense of direction, so we headed north then a west.
First we headed along the Achiltibui road with a plan of getting a view of the Summer Isles, but as it was peeing down and we had very little viability, we turned north and headed for Lochinver. The roads were very wet, making progress careful & steady. Once at Lochinver we exercise a great deal of restraint and denied ourselves the pleasure of sampling the pies sold by the Lochinver Pie shop and rolled on north, with Durness our next scheduled stopping point. As we turned north onto the Durness road, the weather was still doing its bit too make us feel welcome. . . . by continuing to pee on us!
Quick stop to admire the view from above Loch Assynt – notice the wetness that prevailed and the nice, shinny condition of Scotts 660 Tenere.

On we rode, north in the rain but still enjoying the scenery (that we could see) and the twisting nature of the road. As I rolled round a quite tight left-hander, I had was keeping a careful eye on my rear view mirror as I stood the bike up after the bend, only to see Dave and his 1200 Tenere drift across the centre line, onto the verge (missing a verge marker in the process – Nice one Dave), into then out of the ditch and onto the parking space on the opposite side of the road. I was hard on the brakes by now, so when I next looked in my mirror, just before Dave made it onto the hard stuff, I see a person walking behind him!!!! WTF. Quickly realise that it’s Scott on the wrong side of the road, standing over his up-turned bike. I knew it was up-turned because I could see his tail light! The bike had gone down on its left side, rotated through 180 degrees and flipped over before coming to rest at a jaunty angle on the top edge of the ditch. Dave made haste to park up and ran to Scotts aid whilst I did a U turn and hustled back to help. Took all three of us to right the bike and get it back onto the road. Scott was shaken and thankfully un-injured.

His machine was now wearing numerous battle scares and ever so slightly mis-aligned handle bars / front wheel. It took a while, but we straightened up the steering, the gear lever and the left hand mirror and surveyed the rest of the machine or damage that might stop it being ridden. After noting what else had taken a hit, Scott did a couple of test runs before the steering was to his satisfaction. He declared himself happy to continue, so off to Durness we headed with Scott setting the pace from the front.
After caffeine and chocolate at Cocoa Mountain at Balnakiel, we started our journey along the top road, stopping to photo beaches, rivers and hills as we went.

At Tongue we headed south for Lairg and a fuel stop. This leg of the run was thankfully un-eventful.
From Lairg we headed back to base at Ullapool, without stopping to take any photo’s as I think we were all feeling the need to get some more food inside of us.
!90 odd miles in the wet, but still a great ride . . . . . . apart, of course, from Scotts little off.

Saturday 24[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2011

Billy No Mates Run to the Pass of the Cattle (Applecross road)

Just call me Billy

The day started well . . . . . only light showers being blown over the camp site this morning.
After a quick brief by Austin W on who was doing which run, I waited for the hordes to descend on me to do accompany me on the run to Skye via Applecross. Tis only between 250 and 300 miles lads, come on!
So when the allotted start time arrived and my shout of “OK, who’s for Applecross?” was met with a deafening silence, I took the hint and headed of into the hills alone. Maybe they’d heard about yesterdays little “off” and decided that maybe I wasn’t the man to follow!
I did the Gairloch loop, taking a few detours on the way and getting passed by Austins little troop, then took in Glen Torridon before heading up the Pass of the Cattle.

Victoria falls – honest, that’s what it’s called

Loch Maree

More weather

The Pass of the Cattle

Headed to Lochcarron for fuel, then onto Achnasheen and Garve for the ride back to Ullapool. Stopped on route on a bit of dis-used old road for a brew and to enjoy the all too infrequent appearance of the big shinny thing in the sky.
Brew time

More water, this time near Garve

Didn’t pop onto Skye as I’d had enough of getting soaked then drying out, only to get soaked again. I’ll do that run soon, before the real weather arrives

Sundays Run Home

And so it comes to an end.
By early doors on Sunday many had already broke camp and headed south. When the locals – Me, AfricaJim, Fionna & Dave Copeland hit the road at 10am, the bit of the camp that had been ABR central for the weekend looked a bit like a battle ground, with wheel tracks sunk into peaty grass everywhere in between down trodden areas of mud!
After saying our farewells to those that were still packing or staying for another day, we headed off, with our route home being the same one that Jim and Co had taken on their way to Ullapool on Friday. For a change, for me at least, the rain stayed off and I stayed dry or the whole ride.

After a quick refuel for us at the Skiack services,

we headed for Tore and the meeting point for the local MAG protest ride out down the A9. At least a hundred machines took to the road, doing no more than 40mph and fully filling the left hand lane for possibly a mile. Apparently there was a plan for the whole column of bikes to ride as far south as Aviemore. The ABR contingent were led astray by me after we passed Inverness and reached the turn off for Moy. From there we took a delightful single track road all the way to Cawdor, then on to Auldearn where we bade farewell to Dave as he had many more miles to travel to get home. Jim then led Fionna and me on a merry, twisty route home that had me grinning like a loony inside my lid and Fionna punching the air after taking a set of tight bends in a very tidy fashion.
Superb weekend finished with a brilliant ride on local roads.

Great weekend that I think enearly everyone who attended enjoyed = Result

Steve T

:cool:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Excellent Steve

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Good going Steve, nowt better than Loch Maree on a nice day...

in case you've not seen it on a nice day ;)

Ashamed to say I've not made it home once this year. Maybe child rearing gets easier with time?!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
A good weekend was had for sure, although, wakening from a drunken slumber in my tent porch at 9.20 on Saturday morning, a rideout to lead at 10.00, no breakfast, still in biker gear from Friday and no petrol,,,,, I blame Austin,,, ok,,, it was his bottle of Jura that sent me over the edge!
The ride home was sweet, Fiona takes great stead in your praise of her riding, thanks mate.

The Triumph Tiger 800XC is a great bike and proved it's worth at the ABR weekend, over 500 miles and never missed a beat, including a few cracking wheelies! Aftersales lets the Triumph brand down, otherwise a stunning bike.
Thanks to Austin, as usual! SteveT, Largewayround and the members of the ABR forum for making it a great weekend!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I blame Austin,,, ok,,, it was his bottle of Jura that sent me over the edge!

Thanks to Austin, as usual!
who me:rolleyes: Look, I say when in Scotland do as the Scots do - drink the whisky until the world is blurry and the weather doesn't matter any more.

But all in all a brill meet up in stunning country with the best roads in Europe and a Fab end to a week long trip through the Outer Hebrides - did tell you about getting struck by lightning on the isle of Harris??.
I even managed to lead my ride out and discover a "green lane" the locals didn't know about...... leading to a remote and deserted beach

DSCF0970.jpg DSCF0969.jpg DSCF0971.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Shame I missed it but unfortunately work commitments took priority.

Where was this beach Austin?

Hopefully next year.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
That's not a proper report - there was a man down and you didn't take any pics.

TRF rules for when a rider drops their bike:
1. laugh
2. take photos
3. help them pick it up.

It has to be in that order.:D

Hope bike and rider and OK.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Shame I missed it but unfortunately work commitments took priority.

Where was this beach Austin?

Hopefully next year.
The beach is called Slaggan bay. It's on the West coast of the next peninsular north of Gairloch. The track is about 1.5 miles north of Laide on the minor road to Opinan. Its about 5km to the beach and mostly a good rocky if rough surface. Lots of puddles. Watch out for highland coos though. Excellent spot for some very wild and remote camping

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
The beach is called Slaggan bay. It's on the West coast of the next peninsular north of Gairloch. The track is about 1.5 miles north of Laide on the minor road to Opinan. Its about 5km to the beach and mostly a good rocky if rough surface. Lots of puddles. Watch out for highland coos though. Excellent spot for some very wild and remote camping

So here then? 57.883809,-5.644913 - Google Maps

Looks lovely. I must pay it a visit some day.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts

Know it well, my grandparents are buried near there ;)
Thanks for the pics :thumbup:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
There couldn't be a nicer place in Scotland to rest.

Yes,

It's nice there,

My mum ( who is now a very sprightly 90 year old ) is one of the few ( I think there is only one left :( )
who was born on Isle Ewe prior to WW2 breaking out. She was there when Vader's lot bombed fek out of the convoys bound for Africa :hitler::D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts