Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved from the South Coast to Highlands last year and at last I have found some rider roads again.

I used to do the 'Wallops' run from Southampton to Thruxton on a regular basis but some of the runs up here leave that standing.

There is a big loop from Loch Ness up to Kyle of Localsh (Skye) and back round to Inverness - following/crossing rivers and railway lines.

Lots of twists and countours plus decent scenery for passengers !

The A82 up from Glasgow and Loch Lomond, through Glen Coe and on to Fort William is great in places too.

I also did a run (sadly by car) up the east coast road (A9 & A99) from Inverness to Wick - a very dramatic road along the cliff top in many places. There are great views of oil/gas rigs out at sea at night.

If you are ever up this way there is plenty to try out - plus the locals and 'incomers' are real friendly.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Have to agree that Scotland is a bikers dream (a wet one usually!):cyclopsani:

As well as all the roads mentioned I'd add 'The Pass of the Cattle' to/from Applecross if you want to scare yourself/pillion and the route through Oban, Lochgilphead, Inverary, Arrochar - lovely road surface, lovely bends!

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
I finally got my maps out (oh dear, where will this end :bounce:) and can add some detail/road numbers to my suggestions above.

'The Pass of the Cattle' (Bealach na baa?) on the A896 turn west onto an unclassified just north of Kishorn to Applecross. Get pillions to hold on tight!

From Oban. A816 to Lochgilphead (small detour to Crinan recommended - on a sunny day you'd swear you were in Cornwall). A83 via Inverary & Arrochar (great campsite) to Tarbet on the shores of Loch Lomond.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Scotland is a dream for bikers. Sometimes it doesn't make sense going on a trip abroad when you have so many fantastic roads up North.

My favorite routes would be the ones at the North-West. Ullapool to Tongue takes two-three hours and it's got all kinds of roads. The only thing to watch is not to run out of petrol since it can be up to 100 miles between petrol stations.

W

·
0 Posts
I would really like to see some pics of Highland routes and even Highlighted areas on a map if possible (anyone got the time to do this? :cheers: ) I have wanted to spend a week riding around Scotland with just a tent, and am finally going to do so this year!

All the Best

Paul

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
Highlands = the Biz

My regular run to work (the Outer Hebrides) see's me driving / riding from Morayshire to Uig on Skye, along the best roads I know in this area. Wilko, from Inverness, just go north on any route and I promise you you'll not regret one mile. Visit Durness in March and watch the RAF bomb the C"*p out of a lump of rock out in the Atlantic, or just ride onto the beach and tackle some dunes that wouldn't be out of placce on the Paris -Dakar.
Honestly, just come north and enjoy.

Regards,

Steve T

:bigsmurf:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Off road routes

New reader to the forum. Can anybody post any suggestions for offroad rideable routes in Scotland on an Africa Twin?

The General Wades Military Road is one I have seen pictures of - anybody out there give me any information.

Some of the West coast tarmac minor roads are fantastic (by car). Just looking for a little more excitement for a trip in June.
Ray

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was up at Durness earlier this year, nice weather

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
nice road up there too is go on the A838 from Bonar bridge over the mountains too Kinlochbervie, just north of lochinver single track with passing places for miles, used to do it with the truck in the early nineties collecting fish
Merv

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello everyone, another Newbie here, :p I've been peeping at this site for a while now whilst deciding whether to buy an XR400R. I now own a 2001 XR400R, well pleased :thumbright:.

I have to agree with your comments about the Highlands. I love the place so much I moved here from Worcestershire.
One of my favourite roads on my R1100GS is the A87 from Invergarry to Shiel Bridge. If you have time, from a base in Inverness, try heading south west down the A82 along Lochness to Invergarry. Turn right onto the A87, northwest, follow this to the A890 approx 4miles past Dornie (and it's castle). Turn right, heading North, (look out for the viewpoint at the end of the two way road before the single track road starts, just past Stromeferry, no ferry) to Strathcarron T junction. Turn left onto the A896 through Lochcarron, (decent cafe and pubs that take bikers.) Keep going past Kishorn (great seafood shack) until the single track road opens up. Here you have the choice of going over the Beallach na Baa (pronounced Bee-Al-lach) (Pass of the cattle) to Applecross (great pub, award winning food) turning right and taking the coast road to Shieldaig or heading straight on to Shieldaig. Personally, if time allows, I would do the Beallach. It's unique and a place you will not forget. Check out the beach near Lonbain. Anyway, at the Shieldaig village follow the A896 to Torridon. (Another detour here, turn left onto the road to Diabaig. I wouldn't necessarily go to Diabaig but certainly enjoy the road to just past Alligin, head up the steep hill to the view point that looks across Upper Loch Torridon. (Take a sandwich and a smoke, fantastic) Back on the A896, continue through the Glen to Kinlochewe, turn right, east, onto the A832 and you are heading back to Inverness.
This is one run you will not forget. A combination of very fast roads, fast twisties, steeps hills, single track roads, slow single track roads, hairpin bends and some of the best views Europe has to offer. not to mention great food.

"New reader to the forum. Can anybody post any suggestions for offroad rideable routes in Scotland on an Africa Twin?
The General Wades Military Road is one I have seen pictures of - anybody out there give me any information."

I have to echo this question, now I have the XR I want to do some serious greenlaning. However I understand that "greenlanes" don't exist in Scotland? Different rules I think? Is there anyone in the Highlands that know where we can ride without getting shot? Any one need an off road riding buddy?

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Hello Dirty ( that just doesn't seem right, does it ?? ) :D:D

A few of us are in and around the Highlands, myself, Steve T, the Mountie, Africa Jim etc.
Drop me pm and we can meet up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts