Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Me and a mate are looking to do this over a week in May. Does anyone hire theses beasts out for such trips?

Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi All

Me and a mate are looking to do this over a week in May. Does anyone hire theses beasts out for such trips?
Someone else may answer about possible hire, but what I can say is if you are going all the way to the south coast and want to do it on roads more suited to the alp you want longer than a week if you want to enjoy it. France is full of brilliant D roads ---- I will leave it there Im'e starting to drool!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Take three weeks and ride from the UK and you will still not have enough time to see the beauty of the country side.

·
Registered
533 Posts
CJ Ball (Honda main dealer) in Norwich hire them, I took one to the Swiss Alps last year (2000 miles, 10 days) and liked it so much I bought the very same bike just a few weeks ago :D

If you call they will be able to do a deal better than the price on their website for a longer rental.

·
Xi dwejjaq member
921 Posts
Go slowly

CJ Ball ...

New Page 1

" We hire out Honda XL650V Transalps, a great all-rounder which we use for our Spanish fly-ride holidays.
Daily rate £60 for the first day and £40 for subsequent day.
Insurance £20 per day.
Givi topboxes available if required.
Clothing and helmet hire also available.
Please call us for further details - 01603 307500
You must be over 30 years old, and have held a licence for at least 1 year.
An insurance excess of £500 applies.
Free mileage 200 miles per day.

Excess mileage chargeable at 10p per mile. "

Excess mileage chargeable at 10p per mile !!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
With insurance for a 2 week trip , I make hire costs to be £860 not including extra mileage costs/other costs.

For that price you are in semi-decent second hand 600 territory.

Of course, if you are not completely enamoured with the TA after the trip, you can sell it on and recover much of your costs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
But you'd be getting a year old 700 rather than a knackered 600. Anyway, I'm not going to say how much I paid, but you will be able to negotiate the price and knock a sizeable chunk off your calculation.

·
Registered
217 Posts
But you'd be getting a year old 700 rather than a knackered 600.

My dear sir! 600s are a fine bike!...and not that much down on power from a 700; plus if you are only going to use the bike for a couple of weeks then so what?

I still maintain however you could buy a 600 in decent nick rather than a knackered old dog for £800 - you would have to shop around though. If you can sell the bike on afterwards and recover much of the costs, then of course intial outlay could increase and you could purchase a far better bike. Net losses much more than likely to be less than the cost of hire - who knows, you may even make a profit!

Anyway, I'm not going to say how much I paid, but you will be able to negotiate the price and knock a sizeable chunk off your calculation

I can only work from the data given...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm so very sorry, but your question was if anyone knew about hiring Transalps, I do, as I did, so was offering knowledge of my experience.

When I looked into hiring last year I phoned around a bit and most places said they could 'do a deal', I think a lot of the companies do this on the side with existing machines, which are already in use as courtesy bikes or are ex-demos, so there is a good profit margin to play with.

The 700 is great for touring, it was as happy sprinting down the german autobahn as it was climbing the swiss alps. Well recommended, that's why I bought one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts