Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, rode back from salisbury the other week in the rain, and dumped the bike to go on holiday on my return. Got back yesterday and set to cleaning the bike. Reached for the spare key to start her up and it wouldn't fire at all. turn over but no ignition.
I thought it must be damp plugs (after ten days of no rain??) so checked and they were fine. Was just about to start getting angry when i tried the normal key. Started first time. :evil:
Is it possible to get the spare working again or is it a lost cause? And if so, how much to replace or dare I ask????

Ta.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Tape the top half of the good key under the ignition - then use the 'bad' key to start.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spot on! will give it a try and report back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Maybe I am missing something but I don't seem to be having any luck. Tried under the ignition, behind, in front. No joy.
Speaking to the dealer its a honda job. Apparently they have leads they can connect to reprogramme a key - 25 pounds, or fifty to replace the key completely. what a con.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Sorry - heard it works but never tried it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm. speaking to some of the good chaps over at visrdown it appears that the solution is in the service manual, all you need are the wires and process to recode the key. Apparently though, if you get it wrong its a new ECU :shock:

But, ever intrepid I am prepared to give it a go. Any ideas where one might procure the relevant chapter from the service manual, beg beg....

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
quarryman said:
hmmm. speaking to some of the good chaps over at visrdown it appears that the solution is in the service manual, all you need are the wires and process to recode the key. Apparently though, if you get it wrong its a new ECU :shock:

But, ever intrepid I am prepared to give it a go. Any ideas where one might procure the relevant chapter from the service manual, beg beg....
I am sure its in either Haynes manual, or the owners manual. I have definitley read it somewhere. [MrHaynes is in the Garage and I can't be arsed to go and look for you - sorry]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the details on how to programme a key are in the haynes manual. It says though that to do it you need a special Honda tool. Can't find a botch anywhere, so suppose its a trip to see what the price of the parts are - gonna be silly money i bet.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
quarryman said:
So the details on how to programme a key are in the haynes manual. It says though that to do it you need a special Honda tool. Can't find a botch anywhere, so suppose its a trip to see what the price of the parts are - gonna be silly money i bet.
Yep, you are right - still need the tool. I put one of the part numbersinto google and came with this...www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22289 - Supplemental Still says you need the tool. Dealer had my TA for about 2 hours when he registered a 2nd key after I bought it (free to me). I think it is only supposed to take ½ hour though.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Just been in touch with 2 local Honda dealers, they say it is a dealer job to reprogram (they would) at a total cost of £50 to £60. They know of no way to immobilise the immobiliser.......

Tried D Silver Spares new key blank is about 17 quid + vat, the guy had just recieved a memo from Honda about reprogramming and read it out to me, the process sounds quite complicated.

Best stump up the cash and get a dealer to do it I reckon.

I'm looking to either bypass the HISS and use normall key's or buy a 3rd for travels abroad.
I have a feeling bypassing the HISS will be quite difficult!

Phil

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quoted the part numbers from the haynes manual to David Silver Spares. The first three are between 30 and thirty quid (apparently you need two, the loom and the adapter plug) and the last part was 200 pounds!!!
NO idea which part does what though, so dealer it is. Problem here is there is no main dealer for MILES.. Preston Honda is the nearest. not great news.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts