Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Until recently of the HISS light stayed on, I could clear it as described ion the title. Mine is an Australian delivered 2003 XL650V Transalp that I've owned from new in '04 and ridden more than 180,000km.
Recently I had to clear the HISS light by wriggling the HISS receiver wires. Last week it wouldn't start at all, even if I wriggle the wires.
The Haynes manual mentions a Honda special tool:
Fault diagnosis
Note: To enter the fault diagnosis mode of the
system you will need the Honda special tools
(Part Nos. 07XMZ-MBW0100, 07YMZ-
MCB0100 or 07XMZ-MBW0101, and 07YMZ-
0010100) which are a wiring loom adapter
Does anyone know where these can be bought on line? A quick search on fleabay got me "zero matches".

I've checked the continuity of the 4 receiver wires by pushing a pin through each just below the receiver and checking back to the plug under the speedo. All are about 0.3ohms. The 2 wires that supply approx 5V to the receiver read 22,500ohms and the other 2 read 15,500ohms through the receiver, though I've no idea what they should read.
Has anyone else run into this issue and if so how did you fix it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not from Oz it would seem. I've tried a number of variations without any luck. I'll keep at it until I crack the code. I got a texa one by typing texa in the search.
[edit]I logged into fleabay UK and there they are. Nothing if I log into fleabay dot com or fleabay dot com dot ay you I wonder why that happens.[edit]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've narrowed it down to the sensor ring. I thought the wires were in pairs, but a bit more study of the wiring diagram informs me that there are infact 3 pairs because one is "common" to all the others and is earthed to the frame. Vcc is a 5V supply for an induction coil that I guess turns on the key chip, TxCT is a transmit wire that transmits a signal to the key chip and RxDT is a receive wire that receives the key chip response. All 3 and their common feed directly into and/or it of the ECU.
I get zero current flow in all of them with the key off, I get about 2mA of current flow in Vcc & RxDT with the key on but zero in TxCT, and I suspect a broken wire where it joins the sensor ring.
New (cheap Chinese knockoff) sensor ring for CBR600 is AU$28, so I'm taking a chance that it's the same mounting screw cents as my'03 650. If not at least it's cheap.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally it is FIXED! The troubleshooting process involved buying another key antenna (I thought it was phuqed), which tested exactly the same as the original, another key (which I also thought might be phuqed but wasn't l), which didn't get cut, coming to the conclusion that maybe the ECM/CDI/sparker was faulty...... and having the original keys tested by a local locksmith to show that they were responding as they should to an antenna.
The local Honda dealer informed that I would have to pay AU$1073.60 and wait 6 weeks minimum to have the genuine ECM/Sparker delivered.
After posting on bikeme.tv that I was at the point of selling the bike as parts on fleabay, it was suggested that I contact ignitech........ I did exactly that and was informed that for US$237 (AU$334.80) they would supply me with an ignition that would do the same thing.
I payed for it on 20 September and it arrived on 11 October. Yesterday, 15 October, I found the time to fit it.
It came with a rather extensive email of attachments telling me about the package I'd bought. I'm 59, a tradesman electrician in a past life, and now a train driver. This had me worried, was I going to have to load software to make this thing work? Was my 6 or 7 year old laptop (used for reading manuals in the shed) up to this task?
After 2 or 3 attempts to download an app that could(???)read/run the program in question with no success, I gave up in disgust and, having fitted a set of clean carbies (it hasn't run since January) the carby balance kit and a new battery, I hit the starter. It fired right up, I adjusted the carby balance and got it running well.
Today I fitted the fairing panels etc. I spent more time on the positioning the Ignitech unit than the panels.
The brilliant thing works so well, it just isn't the same size as the original Honda thingy. My first go at mounting it had the wires rubbing against the inside of the left side cover.
This afternoon we travelled 43km together, for ther first timer in 9 months.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've traveled about 200km together so far. I've noticed that the steering head bearings had become "notchy". A new set arrived at the local bike shop and I picked them up on Wednesday.
Today I spent the afternoon on it. The rear brake has been dodgy since I got it going again so I bled it at the master cylinder then the caliper banjo bolt, then the bleeder.
That sorted (I hope) I removed the forks and steering head, replaced the bearings and refitted them top the point of having the front wheel. Then it was cook tea, drop eldest daughter home, a one hour round trip, eat tea.
I fitted the fork brace and mudguard and checked everything was tight. At 10pm I had it all tidied up tools away etc. Test ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
2005 XL650V Transalp
1 Posts
It’s timely I’ve come across this as my HISS has started playing up, and I’m in the midst of a trouble shooting frenzy.

@Jackflash what product did you get from ignitech, and was it pretty much a straight swap. Because I’m thinking if I can’t get things reliable I may have to look at other options and not risk being stranded at in the bush

PS. Good looking bike. I’ve got something similar down here in Newcastle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was their programmable unit. The harness they send is a plug and play, but it won't mount straight into the ECM bracket. I modified mine a little and mounted it in the cavity under the seat. I added zip ties to the Velcro supplied to ensure it doesn't come loose.
I'm at work on another bike right now so I'll take pics and post later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts