Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2011 Transalp 700 VA has developed an annoying and increasingly frequent fault. Never had any problems with the bike before, engine runs great. 18,000 miles on the bike.

While driving up the M1 last night, on 3 or 4 occasions, when I opened the throttle to overtake, the HISS warning light and the FI light came on together, lost engine power. When I closed throttle a bit, after 2/3 seconds, lights off, running normally again. I don’t know if throttle roll on is the “cause” but to be safe, I stuck at around 50 mph on inside lane for last 50 miles and no more issues.

i have noticed over last few weeks that when starting the bike, the engine has idled for a minute or so then cut out when I turn bars or bring bike off sidestand to pull away. However, it always immediately restarts.

this all started after I removed the decat pipe and replaced the old heavy cat box and added a new Leo vince slip on. As part of that process, I did remove and put back on the (Lamda?) sensor that screws into the cat box pipe. It took me a while to find the little connector tab that you have to press to release the connector and I did worry that I may have pulled on the 4 little wires to de-couple it.

bike starts fine from cold. Previous owner has hacked into wiring to add some spots near front off tank but the lights work fine.

My my thoughts are:-

some wiring issue?
HISS fault?
fuel pump issue?
Hiss sender fault?

sorry my knowledge is limited so these ideas maybe way off the mark!

I am away from home so no tools, will try spraying some WD 40 into ignition barrel, try turning bars with engine running to see if that triggers the issue? Otherwise guess I will have to go to a Honda Sealer to see what faultcodes they can find.

any ideas?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
sounds like something to do with the lambda sensor, if that is when the problem started?

try unplugging it and seeing what happens, or cleaning the connections

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same problem on my 700 for months until one day I couldn't stat it. Culprit was broken wire inside the antena cable. I soldered it and now it is ok, the new one is £180 new too expensive for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes that's it. There is a quite a lot of stuff to take off before you can change it though which put me off as well as the price although second hand option is well cheap

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the replies, much appreciated. The HISS/FI lights issue only occured once on the ride home, within the first 5 miles, rest of the 120 miles home and for my commute today, no recurrence.
I am thinking now most likely thing is the 02 sensor which is the only electrical part I fiddled with when putting the cat box back on the bike.
I have actually just purchased a 2nd hand O2 sensor off ebay for £25.00 so when it arrives, will swap it out to see if it makes any difference.
I may also bid on the HISS Sensor highlighted as a back up if it turns out not to be O2 sensor related. At least I have a couple of likely suspects now, many thanks, won't have time to have a fiddle with it all next weekend but will update.

I did buy one of those O2 sensor blanking plugs and resistor thing from Ebay to go with the Leo Vince decat pipe but never fitted it. Ill have a try fitting that to see if they changes anything so that's three options.

Many thanks to all for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. Will report back after the weekend

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorted! I worked out how to get the MIL codes via the FI indicator light short/Long flashes and it showed a “O2 sensor heater element” code. I wonder if I damaged the O2 sensor somehow while removing it from Decat pipe and putting it back in the original CAT box when I put it back on the bike. I didn’t realise that they can apparently be a bit fragile according to some posts I have read on various forums.

Anyway, I looked at price of a new one from Honda and my heart sank when I saw price of £248.00! So I picked up a used one from Ebay (£29.00 delivered), fitted it and cleaned connectors thoroughly. No problems since, no more HISS/ FI lights since so looks like it was O2 sensor issue, probably self-inflcted by my ham-fisted attempts to get the connector undone/separated before working out the tab mechanism. It is in quite a tricky location at least for my fingers to reach/ grip.

Many thanks to all for your advice and suggestions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts