Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on Friday night I parked my '07 650 TA in the garage, everything was fine. On the Saturday morning I tried to fire it up and it just spun on the starter with no hint of life. I then noticed the green 'key' light was not going out, so that is the HISS warning light. I've had the bike around a year and once or twice this has happened but I just turned the ignition off and on and it sorted itself. This time it is not.
I have checked the kill switch contacts (the HISS light goes on and off when I switch the kill switch anyway). cleaned the key and ignition barrel with contact cleaner and tried my spare key, no luck, light stays on. I have inspected the wires from the HISS ariel/sensor ring to the loom and the connector, all ok.
What can I do next? Can a Honda dealer test the HISS sensor ring and the ICU unit off the bike?
So annoying the thing was running perfectly before I put it away..:hmph:
Anyway thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
check the red connector? and follow the connector from the CDI to wherever that plugs in

if it turns over but does not fire, it would suggest a lack of spark

Attachments

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Mine had the green light on (after a winter service when I'd lubed all the elec connectors), I split the Hiss reciever to loom connector near the headlight & just squeezed the female pins together and it was fine thereafter.
Another possibility is the ignition pickup to loom connector, this is up by the lh radiator, partially buried as its taped to the main loom (its used by dealers to program new keys) but as it's not a waterproof connector is possibly prone to corrosion on a year round bike?

However it's generally a reliable system, although I have heard an odd report than nearby phone masts can make it play up

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the HISS receiver to loom connector, all clean and sound. I will check the ignition pickup to loom connector tomorrow, but the bike is in good general condition and hasn't been run through winters, no corrosion etc. I'm gonna 'phone up my nearest Honda dealer tomorrow morning and ask if they can test the ECU and receiver. Thanks for your suggestions. :thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine ('03 XL650V) does this from time to time. Most recently over the weekend, but I have learned to hit the starter, turn off the ignition, turn it on again and wait for that light to go out, then hit the starter and she fires up. It has yet to fail on the second go and I've owned it from new with this happening at irregular intervals since after the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
the HISS system is great for stopping thieves being able to start your bike, but it's a pain in the arse when things like this happen, or if you lose any keys

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've checked everything I can think, can do no more with it. It's getting vanned to Edinburgh Honda tomorrow, I'll report back..

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
as far as i know, the key is matched to the ECU

the key is also matched to the lock (obviously)

when you put the key near the "ring" around the lock, the "ring" talks to the ECU which allows the engine to run

hence, if you replace the whole lot (lock, key, ring, loom, ECU) the bike should run

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that's the one, together with ECU off same bike I was looking at, I've messaged them asking if it is from a non-HISS bike (apparently only the last of the 650's were HISS?)
The loom on mine has been hacked into in several places for various things (Satnav, heated grips, bleeping indicators, intercom thing, fog lights etc)
Surely if a non-HISS ECU and loom was put on it, it should run?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I know, I got a new ECU and new keys coded to the ECU, still solid green HISS light on dash, bike will not start.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts