Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got knocked off my @ on wednesday 08:50 hrs by a 10 ton lorry,
Driver did'nt stop, but a young lad noted the registration of the lorry & gave it to the Ambulance man who then passed it on to the police before putting me in the ambulance (the lad did not hang around to give his name & address though
)
The police flagged down the lorry driver, who just happened to have turned around & was passing by the scene of the accident (Very strange that, maybe he was curious to see what damage he had inflicted).
Of course, the lorry driver informed the police that he was not aware of causing any accident (thats a load of Bollocks), I was behind a red car (at Walton Bridge) when he pulled up right beside me, when the red car moved off, I moved forward, so I was now completely in front off him, but he pulled up beside me (about 3 feet behind the same red car), this happened about 3 times,
On the forth time the red car moved off I quickly pulled off so as to get in front of the lorry, next thing is I know is that he's hit me & pushed me off the road.
my bike is now facing 9 o'clock & laying on its right hand side (on some grass), I'm slumped in the gutter trying to breath & my topbox up the road & a lorry driving off into the distance.
What really pissed me off were all the blinkered car drivers that just drove passed me!
At the accident scene I did notice that bikes rear light was smashed to bits & strewn allng the road & the the topbox rack was damaged at the back.
At the hospital My wife handed me the topbox & I noticed that the latch that secures the box to the rack was broken, all the damage so far confirms my bike was hit from behind.
The police phoned me me at home later on & confirmed that fresh damage was found on the front nearside bumper, BUT, they cannot be sure if the damage on the lorry was caused by hitting my bike, as there are no actual wittnesses who saw the impact.
But they did say that if I had died, they would have got forensics involved
The frightening thing about all this is that I have a tyre mark on my crash helmet
& its not mine.
Luckily I fully insured & have legal protection.

If any of you guys has been in a similar sort of situation, I would appreciate any advise that you can give me?

regards
Lazzoon
ps I got off lightly with just 12 rounds in the ring with Mike Tyson, & having the base of my spine & buttocks kicked by a mule.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say:

- Glad you're OK
- Get well soon!
- Hello from sunny Addlestone :D
- The tyre mark on the helmet would have scared the bejesus out of me too

·
Registered
452 Posts
First of all I am very sorry for you, and hope you get this guy nicked somehow. There are so many idiot drivers out there !

A similar, incident as your happened in the small town of Mandal in Norway last year 16.11.2006.

A 35 year old lorry driver (12 tonnes lorry) hit a 68 year old woman on a bicycle when turning right onto a bend. He claim not seeing her (as he did not use the mirrors). The woman died instantly. She was then dragged under the lorry for abt. 200 metres, before someone made the lorry stop by horning at him. The lorry driver was accused of car killing and got 45 days inprisonment and lost his license for 2 years + costs.

Here are some links to the local norwegian newspaper, if anyone is interested in seeing the schene of the accident. Guess you wouldn't understand the language:

http://www.fvn.no/nyheter/mandal/article414486.ece
http://www.fvn.no/nyheter/mandal/article415490.ece
http://www.fvn.no/nyheter/mandal/article514093.ece

·
Registered
452 Posts
By the way, Take contact with the Motorcycle Union in Britain if any, they sure have some advice and maybe legal support too ?? All the best on your recovery.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Glad you're OK mate....All the rest is metal and plastic........(and money)

I've seen too many of these doing my job........

If only there was a way to leave our ego's at home when we drive.....then even the knobs would be sensible(?)........:rolleyes:

Onwards and Upwards..

Cabby

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Get on to your legal protection people and leave them to recover the rest. Might have to write an article about legal protection for bikers....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, it makes me feel a lot better just hearing from other @ owners.
as I type this note, my poor @ (which had never been dropped or scratched) is being damage assessed.
its a 1999 White, red & Blue, Givi crash bars, Givi pannier racks & a Scotoiler.
Its just coming up to 60,000 miles which are mainly motorway miles.
The engine oil is changed every 6,000 miles (instead of the suggested 8,000 miles), its my all year round bike, but I regularly empty a can of silicone spray over it, hence no rust or corrosion anywhere.
When I clean it up, it comes up like new.
Will it ever be the same again

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Glad you're ok

Depending on the damage, if they decide to write the bike off due to the cost of new replacement parts you could make a deal with the Insurance company to use certified parts from a breaker - if you can find any!!

I had an accident whereby a stolen Merc had pulled out in front of me when I was about 20m away. The bike went in through the drivers side door and I went over the top. As I was the only insured party, the hire purchase company who owned the Merc decided to sue me for damages to their vehicle, which was also written off (I was doing 70mph at the time)

Hope everything works out for you

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say:

- Glad you're OK
- Get well soon!
- Hello from sunny Addlestone :D
- The tyre mark on the helmet would have scared the bejesus out of me too

ditto that.. what the hell are the police playing i mean its attempted murder ferchristsake their lack of enthusiasm to investigate this properly really pisses me off :mad::mad::mad::mad: would contacting the police complaints comission do any good i wonder....a sort of kick up the ass and then its to bloody late to get forensics involved:mad:

bounce back mate that wot dont kill ya make ya stronger:D

S

·
0 Posts
Real bad luck matey:(, but like Chad sez, you have to let it go and carry on. Shit happens to us all but the most important thing is your still here:p
Let the insurance Co sort out the bike and guilt f**k the drivers head.

As a side issue, I've been bullied by lorries, cars even other bikes and to date my approach of 'If it means so much to you, have the road' has kept me away from hospital (so far). Moral high ground can wait till I get my tank:D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Real bad luck matey:(, but like Chad sez, you have to let it go and carry on. Shit happens to us all but the most important thing is your still here:p
Let the insurance Co sort out the bike and guilt f**k the drivers head.

As a side issue, I've been bullied by lorries, cars even other bikes and to date my approach of 'If it means so much to you, have the road' has kept me away from hospital (so far). Moral high ground can wait till I get my tank:D
i find that waiting till the next set of lights and dragging the **** out of his cab and smearing him all over the tarmac would cure his need to hog the road:naka::D

·
Registered
153 Posts
LAZOON;But they did say that if I had died said:
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG].
Don't accept that! If there is damage on the bike and damage on the truck, they can probably be matched. You don't have to die to justify the expense of the forensics.

Write in and complain that someone has done a crap job of investigating the accident.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
i find that waiting till the next set of lights and dragging the **** out of his cab and smearing him all over the tarmac would cure his need to hog the road:naka::D
Having met you without your motorbike gear on I'm inclined to agree :D

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
Don't accept that! If there is damage on the bike and damage on the truck, they can probably be matched. You don't have to die to justify the expense of the forensics.

Write in and complain that someone has done a crap job of investigating the accident.
I agree. Kick up as much fuss as possible, papers, MP, local bikers protesting. Unless the police are pushed to investigate something then they won't commit the resources to it. Only problem is the truck has probably been repaired and traces of contact removed.

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
...snip I had an accident whereby a stolen Merc had pulled out in front of me when I was about 20m away. The bike went in through the drivers side door and I went over the top. As I was the only insured party, the hire purchase company who owned the Merc decided to sue me for damages to their vehicle, which was also written off (I was doing 70mph at the time)...snip
Makes me proud to be British. Grrrr...

Glad you're ok Lazoon!

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
And you lot wonder why I say....F**K 'EM !!!!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
get in touch with RSS (rider support Services-legal team deals only with biker claims-know a thing or two about it-are a bit like pit bulls-once they get hold, they won't let go)

I only hear good things about them, even if you have your ins co's own legal dept try RSS as well.

good luck, glad you're not too badly hurt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts