Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up one of those Tour-X type helmets, a HJC CL-XS, at Hein Gericke at the weekend and am wondering if anybody else has any experience of them ?

I've only had a short spin with it so far, and found that 70mph is about the max with the peak on before my cheeks are pushed down my throat. It's no louder than my Caberg Justissimo but I always wear earplugs anyway.

The only major problem I noticed was the lack of an integral sun-visor as on the Justissimo, I guess I've been spoiled by that. The peak certainly does nothing at all in this regard, too high up. Anyone know where to get a dark visor from ?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
interesting Paddy. I've been thinking of getting one of those for ages but just hadn't got round to it. I'd be interested to try it out sometime.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi,
let's know how you get on with it,my brother just bought the airohi (orwateveryacalit)equivalent,be interested in comparison,

Cheers,

Tony K

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Bazza wears one - he should be along any minute to disagree with me..............

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lutin, yes I checked there but no luck, bah. Did I meet you at the Tribes Chrimbo run earlier this year ?

I had been thinking of the Airoh S4 as well but came across this one in the shops first so that was that ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi all,
I got one of the HJC one's about a year ago and have found no real problems with it, iv been going from Catterick to Edinburgh (A1) almost every weekend in all weathers and some strong winds.
I can be 90 - 100mph and it seems the same as 50 - 60mph. Now and again if it is a realy bad side wind it can catch it but i guess thats the same with all that type of helmet.

Only problem is i have a small crack in the visor and cant seem to get a new one, as iv been waiting a while now for Hein Gericke to get back to me with a price and if i can get one. :thumbup:

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Just to follow up on this. I've only managed to know up a few hundred miles on it since but after not being all that impressed at first, I have to say it seems pretty decent.
I haven't been noticing the wind-tug as much as I had on the first spin and it's many, many times more comfortable and miles quieter than my Caberg Justissimo flip-front.

I also tried them with goggles and it was fine, plus I could almost entirely close the visor with them on which is handy in rain. However I did notice that peripheral vision dropped a lot with the goggles on so I won't be using these on the road anymore.

The only niggle I have is that they don't have an integrated sun-visor like the Caberg. Once you get used to that it's very hard to go back to doing without and since I can't seem to find a dark visor anywhere I'm going to try putting a strip or two of duct tape along the top and see how that works (the peak is utterly useless for blocking the sun).

·
Living for the weekend
116 Posts
I bought my HJC CL-XS from Hein Gericke about a month ago.
My main problem with this lid is that i find that at speeds above 75 mph i am having to strain to keep my head upright facing the right way.

This can be annoying on fast roads or windy days, which fortunately i don't seem to encounter too often. Either way the maximum speed limit on an English road is 70mph, so it shouldn't matter too much.:eek:
its also effectively a dirt lid, designed for off-road purposes, so how often do you find yourself doing high speed in the mud?!

The helmet can be a bit noisy, but this inst a bother as long as you wear ear plugs, which i would recommend with most helmets anyway. (my ipod works just as well to block out unwanted noise:eek:).

At the end of the day it a fairly budget helmet, and compared to my £50 Chinese lid previously its a huge step in terms of quality and safety.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to butt in on your forum, (Tiger 1050 owner) but I too have owned a CL-XS for the last year and have tried with no success to get a dark visor ANYWHERE!
Oxford have only just started bringing in the CLEAR one, CLXSCV and it retails for £39.99.

I've fitted a fog city hyperoptic at present to help, plus I have dark goggles if needed. Alternately, use some window film and buy another clear one.

The helmet is quieter and far more comfortable than the Arai Tour-X I had, obviously this is not to be taken too seriously as we are all different. Not so good a build quality, but then the Arai isn't worth £300 or more.
HJC are the largest helmet sellers in the USA, so that speaks volumes and I know someone who has had an off with an HJC and his head survived.

As too the peak offering protection in low sun? Yes, it does, you just pull the front of the helmet down. I've ridden at a leisurely 129 and only then was the peak pushing the lid back.

Still doesn't answer where to get a dark visor though. ANy success yet?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry to butt in on your forum, (Tiger 1050 owner) but I too have owned a CL-XS for the last year and have tried with no success to get a dark visor ANYWHERE!
Oxford have only just started bringing in the CLEAR one, CLXSCV and it retails for £39.99.

I've fitted a fog city hyperoptic at present to help, plus I have dark goggles if needed. Alternately, use some window film and buy another clear one.

The helmet is quieter and far more comfortable than the Arai Tour-X I had, obviously this is not to be taken too seriously as we are all different. Not so good a build quality, but then the Arai isn't worth £300 or more.
HJC are the largest helmet sellers in the USA, so that speaks volumes and I know someone who has had an off with an HJC and his head survived.

As too the peak offering protection in low sun? Yes, it does, you just pull the front of the helmet down. I've ridden at a leisurely 129 and only then was the peak pushing the lid back.

Still doesn't answer where to get a dark visor though. ANy success yet?
i got the same lid,,and the same problem lol,,,,:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I've ridden a lot more in this lid now and I'm really liking it, great for the money.

About the dark visor, I was in Crossans near Newry a few weeks back, who have the website www.thevisorshop.com and the guy there said he could get me a dark visor for 40 something quid.

However I'm making do simply with some black tap across the top, does the trick and costs virtually nothing :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I bought one of these recently as I was having gripes with first my Justissimo and then a Shuberth C2 (that's £500 of helmets in six months that I ended up not liking).
Bought this HJC and have fallen in love with it. I just carry sunglasses now.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dark visor for helmet:

HJC CL-XS Motorcycle Helmet Visor Dark Tint

I was thinking of one of these as a replacement for my full face when it needs it since I’m still using MX helmet & goggles while the weather is warmish since I find full face too hot. But the HJC CL-XS seems to have all the fresh air you face could want like the MX helmet but without the drinking rain effect when you get caught in a downpour. Although I keep reading bad reviews on it I tests?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I picked up one of those Tour-X type helmets, a HJC CL-XS, at Hein Gericke at the weekend and am wondering if anybody else has any experience of them ?

I've only had a short spin with it so far, and found that 70mph is about the max with the peak on before my cheeks are pushed down my throat. It's no louder than my Caberg Justissimo but I always wear earplugs anyway.

The only major problem I noticed was the lack of an integral sun-visor as on the Justissimo, I guess I've been spoiled by that. The peak certainly does nothing at all in this regard, too high up. Anyone know where to get a dark visor from ?

I have been using one for offroad for a few miles don't seem to have any drama's in hare'n' hounds with it but it did try to rip my head of at about 90mph with the peak on going up the motorway..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts