Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time since I posted on here, but I've just found a rare treat in need of some love:p 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 11.jpg 2.jpg 10.jpg

I say rare because bikes of any size are anyway extremely difficult to find here in Myanmar, but an AT is an even more stunning find:thumbright:

This one is up for sale for around 1800 US$ so I'm sooo tempted. However I've just bought an Enfield 350 to keep mobile:happy7:

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice. I wonder if you could get it for 15?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
That needs a lot of TLC. Hope you are well Andy

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having just bought the 350, it'll be a few weeks before this finds its way into my hands, but suffice to say it's too good a chance to pass up:thumbright:

As to price, we shall see;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it already registered and plated in Myanmar? Not sure about Myanmar, but if bikes are as difficult there to import and register as Thailand and it already is registered, that's a lot of money and headache saved and makes it worth it probably.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not 'licensed' which is why it's 'cheap'(for a bike here). It'll be about 500$ to sort that out, which is beyond most locals pocket( A lot just don't bother). Getting caught here as a 'Nangachatta'(Long nose:D) riding an unlicensed one will lead to big problems.

As it's probably unique in the country & about the only bike that's big enough for me, then it's a worthwhile adventure...

Hi Paul-S! Yep all fine:thumbright:

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not 'licensed' which is why it's 'cheap'(for a bike here). It'll be about 500$ to sort that out, which is beyond most locals pocket( A lot just don't bother). Getting caught here as a 'Nangachatta'(Long nose:D) riding an unlicensed one will lead to big problems.

As it's probably unique in the country & about the only bike that's big enough for me, then it's a worthwhile adventure...

Hi Paul-S! Yep all fine:thumbright:
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update on this...
I didn't go for this one in the end due to time/cost/hassle, but I've just found a Chappy down in the old capital who seems to have a source of ATs. They are still as rare as rocking horse poo here but this guy has imported a few.

The bloke who had the AT above has been kept busy supplying a raft of Enfield 350/500/Himalayans to the other westerners here, but whilst I love my 350, I still yearn for another AT.

Anyway, I've now bought myself an RD07A project that's basically sound but needs some tidying up and TLC:cool:. It's being licensed at the mo. but will be shipped up next week.

It's good to be back!:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure about the shopping trolley bit in the front.. :)
Just kidding mate, it is a lovely looking bike already. New front tyre and a bit of de-accessorising and I am sure you'll have it looking awesome in no time...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shopping trolley look is the best bit:ROFLMAO:

Yep, there'll be a lot of crap coming off it and the black and red paint that's appeared everywhere will disappear too! The front mudguard will go back to white along with the tailpiece, and the sump guard at the very least will be back to ally.
The seat has been lowered for short-arse Asians so some work to do there too; luckily my workshop guy is a tailor so that shouldn't be a problem.
It's got Excel rims, bar risers, and the Tesco look is actually an African Queens part!

I'll order all the consumables over the summer and get them sent out ready for next season here(we finish in a month), but at least I've got a few weeks to tinker and see if there's anything else that needs replacing. A Reg/Rec will be on the list as well as a fuel pump. Indicators are playing up but that could just be the sticky bar switches...no-one uses them here anyway! Having done wheel bearings on my old AT I might as well do those as well... It's gonna cost a few quid to get it up together but it's worth saving and as I'm planning on keeping this one then it's worth it for future peace of mind; Nipping round the corner to the local bike shop for bits is not really an option here unless it's for a knock-off Chinese 125:p The nearest 'proper' shop is 4hrs drive away in Mandalay!

The tyre will be the biggest hurdle, however I suspect the guys in the shop in Mandalay will be able to sort one...

Anyway I'll keep you all updated on progress...

·
Registered
77 Posts
As long as you keep the cupholder... :) Out of curiosity, what's the powered(?) black box mounted on the other mirror? Just curious...

All things being equal, in Scotland, "popping down to the shop" is also a thing of the past. Most things I buy come from the internet. The wheel bearings for mine were SKFs that came from "simply bearings", most other parts come from ebay and even Honda dealers are easier to deal with over Internet these days. I suppose that you may have some issues with shipping to Myanmar, but hey, you get all the nice weather to work on the bike, so not feeling too much sorry for you ;) The tyre would be too big a challenge but, if I can mail-forward a few small bits from ebay/simplybearings over to you, just ask and if I have the time, I'll do my best.

Coincidentally, your bike is very similar to mine (although you are short on rust big time :) ). The same colour scheme and Excel rims. I didn't really have that much of the choice in the matter when I was buying, but I happen to like that colour scheme the best.

Good luck with the restore. It doesn't look like it'll takt too long and hopefully you'll be riding it soon.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The box is apparently a highway toll payment jobby as used in Singapore- which gives me a clue to its provenance. from what I can gather you stick your chipcard in it and as you move along the highways it deducts dosh according to your usage much like the Peage things in France.

Actually shipping parts here is relatively straightforward as long as the shipment price is less than 500$ otherwise customs get involved.

As to the colour, this is one of my favourites too, although the white ones are the best in my opinion. My old one was purple at the front, but then faded to cowshit green - nice from the front...

They're riding the bike up from Yangon over 2 days, basically a 650km/10hr trip, so that'll be a good a test as any for it! They were halfway earlier... I did notice he IS using the cupholder for his waterbottle in his pics:p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the explainer. Sounds like you got yourself a good one and you're sorted for shipping parts.

White ones? pah! Everyone knows the RWB ones are fastest... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts