Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went down to Plymouth over the weekend to see my eldest son off on his 7 month tour of the South Atlantic to the Falklands and lots of other places including South Africa just in time for the World Cup:rolleyes: :D

This will be his longest time away in one stint, he has done the Gulf, Sierra Leone for a couple of months previously, but this will be the longest in both time and distance.

Anyone on here in the Navy or has been :rolleyes::D got any tips to make his time pass easier ?:thumbright: and things to send him?

I can contact him via email and when he calls us on the Satphone :thumbright:
We also have a postal address to send parcels goodies etc

Cheers Frad

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something like this might help?

I knew I could rely on you Bob :thumbright::D trouble is the youth of today have laptops with hardrives full of downloaded videos :D:D:D

He still wants me to send him Nuts and Zoo etc so may put one in the package for him, might even read it myself before I send it :teeth:

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
I'd send him this one......it's just a b*gg*r to get them wrapped properly.:thumb::D:D. I think she plays Footie too !!.

I knew this thread would'nt stay serious for long..Lmao.:thumbright:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'd send him this one......it's just a b*gg*r to get them wrapped properly.:thumb::D:D. I think she plays Footie too !!.

I knew this thread would'nt stay serious for long..Lmao.:thumbright:

YUMMY! 10/10 Although she appears to be smuggling camels or something similar!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew this thread would'nt stay serious for long..Lmao.:thumbright:[/QUOTE]

Me too :D:D:D

Love it :lol: keep em coming :rolleyes: BUT if anyone does have any sensible tips, I know its a lot to ask in this place, they would be gratefuly recieved :D :thumbright:

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
I have some ADV bike books you can have ( if he likes that sort of thing).

Mondo Enduro
Adventure M/C handbook
Riding the world
etc.

I can bring them to Piel next week mate.:thumbup:.

I still say we send him the "Footie Girl" tho!!.:(:(:D:D.

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
I am reliably informed by my brother-in-law, who is also on the Portland (small world!), that they won't have much time to be bored in as they will be kept pretty busy! :(

From previous tours he has looked forward to emails, post and any parcels from home, but has rarely had time to reply to emails etc - so don't worry if you don't get a reply to every mail you send. :thumbleft:

Here's hoping they get "plain sailing". :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some ADV bike books you can have ( if he likes that sort of thing).

Mondo Enduro
Adventure M/C handbook
Riding the world
etc.

I can bring them to Piel next week mate.:thumbup:.

I still say we send him the "Footie Girl" tho!!.:(:(:D:D.
Nice one Stan :thumbright: but please only pass on stuff that you dont want back as I cant promise their safe return (the books that is :D)

I agree on the footie girl, somehow that pic saved itself on my pc :D

See you on Piel :thumbright:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nothing I can help you with i'm afraid Frad, it is 33 years since I left the RN so nothing I know will help nowadays :D

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
to be serious
good old fashioned letters and the occasional parcel, as has been said they will be busy, its the only way to stop getting bored and unfocussed. There is always a couple of minutes to read a letter sometimes ten times when you need it.
There is something more personal with a hand written letter and maybe cheer him up with a newspaper with the firkin supplement

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Frad, the boat only has a little gun what if it runs in to Argentine pirates, does your boy have to take his own with him.:D:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Frad, the boat only has a little gun what if it runs in to Argentine pirates, does your boy have to take his own with him.:D:D
I think they are supplied with straws and bit of paper.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last February I went on his previous ship HMS Argyll and sailed it back from Gibraltar with him, they did a firing of all the guns on board, mini gun 3000 rounds a minute, 50 cal, GPMG, and the big 4.5" off the bow awsome sight and I for one would not like to be on the wrong side of them :D

They also have various missiles, torpedos, depth charges the full works

HMS Portland : Type 23 Frigates : Surface Fleet : Operations and Support : Royal Navy

That picture does make it look a coat of paint would'nt go amiss though :D

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Last February I went on his previous ship HMS Argyll and sailed it back from Gibraltar with him, they did a firing of all the guns on board, mini gun 3000 rounds a minute, 50 cal, GPMG, and the big 4.5" off the bow awsome sight and I for one would not like to be on the wrong side of them :D

They also have various missiles, torpedos, depth charges the full works

HMS Portland : Type 23 Frigates : Surface Fleet : Operations and Support : Royal Navy

That picture does make it look a coat of paint would'nt go amiss though :D
Yeah But Frad you need a big gun on the front of your boat. BIG Gun means Big hole in the bad guy.
Size matters, Think about it if you shot VADER with a 2.2 rifle it would hurt but he would live, But you shoot him with a 7.62 SLR Then we would be looking for parts of him. Same with a boat, as demonstrated below :D:D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah But Frad you need a big gun on the front of your boat. BIG Gun means Big hole in the bad guy.
Size matters, Think about it if you shot VADER with a 2.2 rifle it would hurt but he would live, But you shoot him with a 7.62 SLR Then we would be looking for parts of him. Same with a boat, as demonstrated below :D:D

:salute: Thats what I keep telling Catherine :D:D:D

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
On A Serious note that's got to be the coolest trip ever. Falklands and the SA then home for Pim's o'clock. I got a think for inhospitable places tho. Whish him all the best.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers J :thumbright: Spoke to him last night on the ships Sat phone, he sounded up beat and glad to be at sea at last, as ever the waiting to go is the worst bit :blob8:

Could you imagine tho 7 months without riding a bike :eek: 6 weeks is killing me :D:D:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts