Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone stores fuel and how much incase of fuel shortages / economy breaking down.

Also like to ask are there any fuel substitutes we can use in our bikes if indeed the usual unleaded at the pumps ran dry?

I run an old 1985 XR250 by the way.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Do you something that we should know about

have you seen korean warships off the welsh coast

I've got a 5 liter container for the lawnmower / just incase, bulk storage is a recepie for desaster and if anything was to happen your insurance may tell you to buggeroff. not sure how much you can hold on property but I'm sure its not much. Dont be too pessemistic

YouTube - Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think that any amount over 20 litres needs hazard warnings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont rely on the BBC,ITV,SKY news to reliably present factual,unbiased or manipulative news that's all.

I look further outside the mainstream and spoon fed presentations.

I've seen some plastic jerry type cans; any pros/cons having plastic ones over the metal jerry cans?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I dont rely on the BBC,ITV,SKY news to reliably present factual,unbiased or manipulative news that's all.

I look further outside the mainstream and spoon fed presentations.

I've seen some plastic jerry type cans; any pros/cons having plastic ones over the metal jerry cans?
Metal cans have to be treated inside to prevent corrosion, plastic cans have a shelf life due to UV.
Unleaded fuel has a shelf life of 3 months before it starts to deteriorate, so it is not worth keeping too large an amount.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
there is a limit to how much you are allowed to keep at home

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Bury it in the garden!!!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Just wondering if anyone stores fuel and how much incase of fuel shortages / economy breaking down.

Also like to ask are there any fuel substitutes we can use in our bikes if indeed the usual unleaded at the pumps ran dry?

I run an old 1985 XR250 by the way.
Whats the point of storing fuel????? it goes off so quickly these modern fuels have a crap life expectancy which is why the supermarkets used to sell it cheaper, it not so much the case now though....

Even if you did buy it and store it some other thieving ******* would pinch it look how many cars have had there tanks punctured and fuel drained to get the petrol out and it's on the increase again (fuel theft) as times are getting harder

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
I never bother storing fuel at home..

but then I have, at least for the car & for heating if necessary, a 5000l tank at work, + 40 odd boats with an average of 800litres a piece in them...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Advice for using and storing petrol at home

What about domestic storage of petroleum?

You can legally store (without a licence) up to 20 litres of petrol in two 10 litre metal containers, or 10 litres in two, five-litre plastic containers. All containers must be designed for the purpose and they must be marked 'Petroleum spirit' and 'Highly flammable'.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You can legaly store up to 275 litres of petroleum spirit at home without a licence. Petroleum licencing authoritied often omit to mention this fact as they dont agree with it, however that is how the law stands. The HSE have to mention this fact on their website but then go on to say the rule is quite complicated.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You can legaly store up to 275 litres of petroleum spirit at home without a licence.
yes but you would need to notify your local petrol lecense authority.

Storage

What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.
Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You can legaly store up to 275 litres of petroleum spirit at home without a licence. Petroleum licencing authoritied often omit to mention this fact as they dont agree with it, however that is how the law stands. The HSE have to mention this fact on their website but then go on to say the rule is quite complicated.
This quantity would require the premises to display a Hazardous material plate and relevant information.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
This quantity would require the premises to display a Hazardous material plate and relevant information.
No requirement for signs or signals, those regs kick in at 25 tons. Insurance is a matter of personal choice. We are talking about storage at home.

Regarding notifying the licencing authority, thats all it ammounts to. A letter every January as long as you are storing it in accordance with the regs. The 6 meters or 20 feet is the distance reconed to be sufficient to prevent fire from spreading to a neibour or public highway.

The regs were published in 1929. They were partly modified as a result of a european directive recently but as the directive only applies as far as a workplace the bit on domestic storage still stands.

The origins of the rule was to allow car owners to store spare fuel when access to petrol stations was not so easy. Essentially it aimed to allow 30 of the two gallon metal cans with brass lids.

Ps i would not advocate this unless you really had a need because petrol is after all a dodgy product, and large quantities only increase the potential hastle!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Advice for using and storing petrol at home

What about domestic storage of petroleum?

You can legally store (without a licence) up to 20 litres of petrol in two 10 litre metal containers, or 10 litres in two, five-litre plastic containers. All containers must be designed for the purpose and they must be marked 'Petroleum spirit' and 'Highly flammable'.
I remember that being talked about during the last petrol crisis about 10 years ago. Made me wonder if jerry cans are illegal seeing as everyone and his army (especially his army) use them and they hold 20 litres

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
I've got a 5 liter container for the lawnmower / just in case
So, let me see if I underststand you correctly:

When the mountains fall into the sea, when the armies of hell rise up to do battle on the plains of Armagedon, when society collapses and civilization implodes in on its self - your plan is to mow the lawn :confused:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
So, let me see if I underststand you correctly:

When the mountains fall into the sea, when the armies of hell rise up to do battle on the plains of Armagedon, when society collapses and civilization implodes in on its self - your plan is to mow the lawn :confused:
If the armies of hell accidentally trip up on an unevenly mown lawn, he could be in all sorts of trouble. It's health and safety gawn mad.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts