Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a report on the new Electra Glide Ultra on MCN this week:

"...75bhp...at 400kg dry it's far too heavy, the gearbox is too agriculatural, the controls clumsy and old-fashioned and the brakes are poor. While riding around a wet corner is terrifying because of its bulk and the complete lack of feel..."

Costs over £21K......and I wondered...is a badge worth that much...?:rolleyes:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
OF course the badge is worth lots, look at me I ride a tractor but it has a big BMW badge on it. so it is an expensive tractor:D:D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
I was reading a report on the new Electra Glide Ultra on MCN this week:

"...75bhp...at 400kg dry it's far too heavy, the gearbox is too agriculatural, the controls clumsy and old-fashioned and the brakes are poor. While riding around a wet corner is terrifying because of its bulk and the complete lack of feel..."

Costs over £21K......and I wondered...is a badge worth that much...?:rolleyes:
in a word NO ! its why harley are in **** street at the mo...they have a few good bike amongst a load of over priced tat:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
in a word NO ! its why harley are in **** street at the mo...they have a few good bike amongst a load of over priced tat:rolleyes:
Short Sharp and to the point.

I happen to agree with you though, they do have some nice machines but most of the range is just using the badge for adding a higher than reasonable price tag.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I guess a Harley is one of the many bikes MCN would struggle to like and like every manufacturer they couldnt possibly make every bike to be liked by everybody. The only reason I see to own an Elec Glide would be if you lived in the States and happily cruised along a straight desert highway, with T shirt and shades ( quite cool I rekon) ,other Harleys out there are.. f'in cool in my eyes and would love a summers day aboard one. Pity about them being in the cack, but I guess they are in pretty much the same state as much of the American automotive industry:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I guess a Harley is one of the many bikes MCN would struggle to like and like every manufacturer they couldnt possibly make every bike to be liked by everybody. The only reason I see to own an Elec Glide would be if you lived in the States and happily cruised along a straight desert highway, with T shirt and shades ( quite cool I rekon) ,other Harleys out there are.. f'in cool in my eyes and would love a summers day aboard one. Pity about them being in the cack, but I guess they are in pretty much the same state as much of the American automotive industry:D
That hits the nail on the head.
Built in America for their roads, they may work well in those conditions but our roads are not suitable for them.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
"98% of all Harleys are still on the road, 2% made it home", that old joke is actually fairly accurate. A lot of blokes in my club ride them and without a trace of exaggeration, at least one per outing has a problem.
Coming back from a large motorcycle run in Cebu today, my road captain's Harley started to badly misfire. We managed to nurse it back, the 180 kms home, but these bikes that appear to be all name and no reliability. I asked him if he got a bit depressed after every time it had a problem, or a part vibrated loose and fell off. He replied that he was considering buying something else before he went bankrupt!:D
I'm really tired of Harleys and I don't even own one!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've owned 6 Harleys from new, and put between 25 - 35K hard miles on each of them. The only issue I've EVER had is when one of them ate the battery over the winter ( my fault - should have been disconnected or plugged in), Thats over 150K trouble free miles - how much more reliable do you want.
This is not a one off as my 5 riding buddies do almost the exact same mileage with the same reliability.
When you factor in re-sale values of 3 year old bikes at over 75% of purchase price, H.Ds do make sense.
I've found over the years that in general the main critics of modern (1999 to present ) H.Ds are "know it alls" who've never owned one and probably never will, but just because they can't / won't afford one they call them over priced ****.

Here endeth the rant

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Well, I've never owned one, could easily afford one, but would not.
I have ridden a few and I honestly think you'd be as well buy a Royal enfield! Same poor brakes, roughly same power to weight ratio, same dated looks but a lot cheaper. That's my opinion, and I'm still allowed to have one in this country.
Everyone to their own, if you happen to like Harleys all well and good. That's your choice, I didn't enjoy the rides I've had on them and wouldn't want one, that's mine.
Yes, never owned one and right again probably never will.

·
17,680 Posts
I've owned 6 Harleys from new, and put between 25 - 35K hard miles on each of them. The only issue I've EVER had is when one of them ate the battery over the winter ( my fault - should have been disconnected or plugged in), Thats over 150K trouble free miles - how much more reliable do you want.
This is not a one off as my 5 riding buddies do almost the exact same mileage with the same reliability.
When you factor in re-sale values of 3 year old bikes at over 75% of purchase price, H.Ds do make sense.
I've found over the years that in general the main critics of modern (1999 to present ) H.Ds are "know it alls" who've never owned one and probably never will, but just because they can't / won't afford one they call them over priced ****.

Here endeth the rant
yup with you on the re-sales made a fortune on mine:thumbup:

some of us are not know it alls who've never owned one;)

now as i stated in my post there is a few good bikes in their range and funnilly enough from your sig line you own one of the few i would consider owning again:cool:

though mine was an old 82 shovel head and was a very tempremental old girl:D turned heads like you wouldnt believe and what a bloody racket:toothy10:

i only had it for a short time because i just wasnt doing that kind of riding and though i would have loved to keep it it wasnt possible.

a friend of mine has his dyna and its a very reliable bike the newer bikes are very good but do suffer from build quality issues:(

but FFs i ride a bmw (e in glass houses and all that):D

but then my experience with these has been good:thumbup:

harleys good ? some yes very

overpriced IMHO yes...and we are all entitled to our opinion:D

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Feck me Chad you had a shovel head bet your knees touched your chin or you sat on the rear tyre. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the debate has been lively indeed....I couldn't afford one but I hhavve a love/hate relationship with Hogs and sometimes I feel that there is one in myy future at some point but not yet!!
Understand the reasoning about the re-sale value but the initial investment is also a massive sum i.e. you only loose 25% but it is 25% of 22K!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
That hits the nail on the head.
Built in America for their roads, they may work well in those conditions but our roads are not suitable for them.
So you both have extensive experience piloting a FLHTCUI then? I have to admit I've never ridden mine on a long straight highway in the US, but I've clocked up about 80,000km here in Thailand on her, mostly up the "Top End" in the mountains around Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle etc where she performs brilliantly (as did the Road King I had before the Ultra, and the Electra Glide I had before that!)..... lots of low down grunt, low down weight, terrific gearbox, those baggers are meant for the twisty bits! It's all about using the gearbox...... I'd love to have had my Ultra in Kent and Sussex, brilliant riding and a lot less hairy than the mountains of northern Thailand!

·
17,680 Posts
I'd love to have had my Ultra in Kent and Sussex
i had this baby out for a few hours whilst staying with friends in cornwall a few weeks back 60 k on the clocks without any issue's its owner will never part with it:cool::cool:, you know what i had a bloody fantastic ride round all the back lanes and over the flowing open roads ridden with the right mindset they handle surprisingly well :thumbright:, sit back in ultra comfort using using the grunt:cool: i could be tempted :D Evo lump much more reliable than the old shovel

i think one of these would make a great stable mate to toxic :)

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
i had this baby out for a few hours whilst staying with friends in cornwall a few weeks back 60 k on the clocks without any issue's its owner will never part with it:cool::cool:, you know what i had a bloody fantastic ride round all the back lanes and over the flowing open roads ridden with the right mindset they handle surprisingly well :thumbright:, sit back in ultra comfort using using the grunt:cool: i could be tempted :D Evo lump much more reliable than the old shovel

i think one of these would make a great stable mate to toxic :)

Yeah! Just think of all the tassles and studs you could put on it!!!!

·
17,680 Posts
Yeah! Just think of all the tassles and studs you could put on it!!!!
you cant resist me now , imagine the state you will be in if i turn up all tasselled and studded:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.