Honda XRV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
personally I hate Harleys as a bike/brand but as an engine that people have put into customs cafe's and trackers it looks cool . I wonder how piaggio being one of the biggest bike/car manufactures and now buying "indian" will affect Harleys as surely the Indian brand is truly the american dream. Yeehawwwww

·
Administrator
1,764 Posts
personally I hate Harleys as a bike/brand but as an engine that people have put into customs cafe's and trackers it looks cool .
I agree.. unfortunately most modern engines look boring, the "UJM" fours etc, and even the TA/@ twins aren't very attractive (and personally I like the 700 TA engine even less). I suppose it's really the water-cooling that's done it - of modern engines I can think of only the Guzzi, Harley, and Victory V-twins, and the boxer BMs that look good. (The Triumph twins are, in my eyes at least, a bit of a parody).

·
Registered
28 Posts
So why criticize it if you don't know how it handles in the twisty bits? I'm just real interested to understand why folk hate them (and those who ride em) so much and all you hear about is "only good on long straight highways" etc etc blah blah....... I've only ever owned an H-D in Thailand and ridden them in the mountains (couldn't ever afford one in the UK) and just cannot understand peoples criticism! They're bloody great in twisty bits!
Sorry, don't understand the "Duh" bit either......... is that Welsh for "No"

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I guess a Harley is one of the many bikes MCN would struggle to like and like every manufacturer they couldnt possibly make every bike to be liked by everybody. The only reason I see to own an Elec Glide would be if you lived in the States and happily cruised along a straight desert highway, with T shirt and shades ( quite cool I rekon) ,other Harleys out there are.. f'in cool in my eyes and would love a summers day aboard one. Pity about them being in the cack, but I guess they are in pretty much the same state as much of the American automotive industry:D
This was my post................... Hmmmmmmmmm hardly critcism, now jog on and stop annoying me with stoopidity

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok it was Stoopidfingers, not you, who said: "Built in America for their roads, they may work well in those conditions but our roads are not suitable for them" Sorry but I call bull**** on that one!

Jeez you're a touchy feller aint you? "Now jog on and stop annoying me" etc etc? You may be some sort of well known 4000+ posts guru on here but ya don't want to join in what was titled a "serious debate?" Bloody 'ell, riders back 'ome sure have changed! Have a great day.

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
I have an 883R Sportster that I bought new in 2002. They are still great value for money if you want a well built, retro type bike. Mine cost £5400 and today would probably make £3500 or so if I sold it. It brings a smile to my face when I ride it and that's what it is all about.
It was a little slow, but 1200cc Wisco pistons, K and N filter, supertrapp pipe and dynojet kit sorted it out. Uprated fork springs, helped the handling and it is now a nice ride. Not quick but nice..... and not a bit of chrome in sight.
A mate fabricated a few carbon goodies for me, side panel, number plate holder, air filter housing so it looks a little different. Look past the badge it may surprise you. It has been totally reliable and very well built.

·
Registered
388 Posts
An upgraded 883 to a 1200 is actually quicker off the mark than the true 1200 due to the gearing don't ya know :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
but its still cost the earth and doesn't like corners / rain / salt and threadlock when the jap crap goes faster , corners better and bits dont fall off and your not obliged to "bro fist" another jap crap owner ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Funny..nothings ever *dropped off* the Harleys I've owned , cornered ok and quick enough and never was obliged to bro fist anyone :teeth: ,,least I dont have to walk around like an anorexic hunchback in a sausage skin ;) Anyway you ever owned one ? Come to think of it is this a serious discussion thread in the Harley section or a drop in caff for haters :kermit: Save the jokes..heard them all before :sleepy1:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Never owned one myself but my Uncle has 5 and Ive ridden a few , street glide /fatboy , and a few others , also a couple of Buells. They were all uninspiring and one was in our workshop as the sidestand had fell off and got caught in the back wheel. they were ok in the same way a moped is ok for pottering about but when you take into account the heavy weight and the huge price tag they are just silly and just a brand.
Obviously i dont know you but I think its also just happens that most of the owners tend to think they are a bit better everyone else and make it quite easy to wind up :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I had a 2005 rubber 883 bored to 1200, big improvement over iron Sportsters. Surprised how effective the rubber mount was, motor really grunty. But the riding position did not suit me at all, didnt suit the previous owner either, seat too low footrests too far forward, did some experimenting but there was no cheap solution so sold it on.
Do have a 95 Ultra Classic which is the only bike my wife can ride pillion on, likes the armchair pillion seat. Now that doesnt like corners, or salt but it quite good at rumbling down main roads and is OK chuffing around lanes if you dont hustle it, gentle and enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
looks like HOGS are certainly capable of one thing....stirring up a lively debate! ;)

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
Quite strange really, peoples attitude to Harley riders. When I ride the sportster.......I am the same bloke that rides my Ducati 916 on another day, my RD04 ona a different day, or my DRZ 400 on the green lanes a different day.

yet people think of Harley riders as W*****s and when on a different bike, especially the 916 as a really cool dude.........

IT IS THE SAME BLOKE....

So I am now confused.....I am either really cool or a W****r :sunny:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
yet people think of Harley riders as W*****s and when on a different bike, especially the 916 as a really cool dude.........

So I am now confused.....I am either really cool or a W****r :sunny:
generalizations are a dangerous game....w*****s are w*****s whatever they ride and the same goes for cool dudes ...well if you ride a Dero you are even cooler but RD04 will do!:thumbup:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Thank Lord there are bikes for everyones taste.

One has not to love the custom models or even the Harleys.
Personally I think it's a shame to judge people after what they ride.
I prefere to judge them after how they ride, and when they ride, regardless of bike model.

And for mopeds, well that is how I started 40 years ago. ;)

I know two guys that in 1975 took their mopeds and rode them all the way down from Sweden to Nice in France, and back.
To me that's more of an Adventure then riding a F800GS the same route in 2013.

Cheers, Kjell (Have bike, will travell)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.