Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd share my experience of this product. We were in southern Chile back in December last year when I noticed some liquid had collected on the left side of the engine - it appeared to be coming from the rear of the front cylinder's head gasket and was running down the block and onto the left-hand crankcase cover. It seemed to be coolant, and checking of the previously-full reservoir confirmed this.....it was almost empty. Being in a remote place, using some of the Holts Radweld Plus which I'd packed as an emergency measure was the only option. At this stage the bike had covered 54,500 miles. Anyhow, the leak stopped once the Radweld was added to the coolant. I kept a close eye on both the temperature gauge and the coolant level, with both remaining fine for the rest of the trip. The bike has now covered 9000 miles with the Radweld, and the coolant level has remained constant. The Radweld did its job very well. I'm debating what to do now we're back in UK. Holts technical dept say that the Radweld will go on doing the job permanently, or at least until I change the coolant again when I can either replace the suspected faulty head gasket or re-fill the coolant system making sure that a bit of Radweld Plus is added. Getting rid of the Radweld from the cooling system is apparently not difficult.....just flush it with plenty of water and an agent such as Holts Speedflush. Replacing the head gasket means taking the engine out of the frame. Whilst the head gasket appears the obvious culprit, I won't know for sure until the head's off. If I go down this route, I'll flush the old coolant and then re-fill with new, adding no Radweld. If the leak then returns, I'll be pretty certain it's the head gasket. Any thoughts....what would other folks choice be.....take out the engine and replace the head gasket or simply carry on using Radweld Plus? I'm sort of inclined to stick with Radweld whilst in Europe where there's easy recovery, but replace the gasket before going off again to properly remote places.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The coolant reservoir / expansion tank will appear fuller or lower depending on the coolant temperature - as it gets hotter it will expand and contract as it cools somewhere between the Upper & Lower marks of the plastic reservoir.Did it drop below the Lower mark on the reservoir? could the plastic reservoir be cracked?

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, there was almost nothing left in the reservoir after the bike had been running a while......and definitely coolant on the left of the crankcase, i.e. well away from the reservoir. There was also some discolouration below the rear left of the front cylinder head gasket, where the coolant appeared to have run down the block and evaporated. I think I'll flush out the old, Radweld-treated coolant, recharge with new coolant and check for any continued leakage. And then decide what to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts