Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making a BBQ I can take on the GSA and I reckon something the size of one of the lids of the panniers would be about the right size. My thought was to make a tray out of sheet aluminium with sides about 2 inches high which would hold the coals and then take an oversize grill and cut it in two so both bits fit in the bottom of the coal tray for storage. That way it would strap to the lid of my boxes and take up little or no additional room.

Questions.

Anyone know if I made the charcoal pan out of 1mm alloy would it survive the heat?

What about a source for the grills? Baking trays seem a little flimsy but what about other sources

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I think 1mm alloy might be pushing it a bit. Is there a recycling place near you?
you might be able to scrounge a couple of grills from an old cooker oven and modify them a bit.:confused:

Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Another link for inspiration. The Grilliput is expensive, but the picture at the bottom of that page seems like a good idea to copy if you're going homemade.

Grilliput portable BBQ and grill | Pots, kettles, tripods & fire pits | Wild Stoves
I've actually got one of these as my mother in law gave me it a few years back. It's a well made piece of kit but only really big enough when cooking for one and I'm thinking about something that can cater for up to 4 people (the sausages in the photo are tiny compared to normal sized sausages). The other thing missing from the grilliput is a firebox for charcoal but when cooking for one over an open fire it would be hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive got one of these on the way (guy on ukgser selling em) Rebel BBQ

I'll be bringing it to Galloway next month if you wanna have a look-see Gordon.
Interesting design. How much is he looking for them.

I really like the stainless below one as well as it being a perfect size for strapping onto a pannier lid it would actually fit INSIDE the bottom of one pannier and having it's own box it should keep everything else clean

Folding Barbecue / BBQ 430 Grade Stainless Steel | eBay

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
I really like the stainless below one as well as it being a perfect size for strapping onto a pannier lid it would actually fit INSIDE the bottom of one pannier and having it's own box it should keep everything else clean

Folding Barbecue / BBQ 430 Grade Stainless Steel | eBay
That's the one I've got. Seems to be excellent quality, folds away nicely in the box and fits inside the panniers. Haven't used it yet, will be this weekend so will let you know how I got on.

L

·
0 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the one I've got. Seems to be excellent quality, folds away nicely in the box and fits inside the panniers. Haven't used it yet, will be this weekend so will let you know how I got on.
I'm all ears. It's the current favourite in the clubhouse.

I'm sure that this has been discussed before.. Most of us simply use this unit (I grabbed an unused one from a carboot sale for £1 )

PORTABLE / FOLDING BARBECUE GRILL / BBQ - IDEAL FOR CAMPING / WALKING - NEW | eBay

In fact I'm sure that we had a mass buy of them a couple of years ago ??? <<In fact looking at the thread you bought one anyway at the time http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/49201-portable-re-usable-bbqs.html >>
Yes I did and it's fine for one person but I'm looking for something to take round Germany that could cater for a bunch of us and this year we don't have Jeff to drag a conventional one around.

Another good one that you could probably make yourself..

Recycling BBQ Outdoor Camping*Hiking Folding Barbecue Grill | eBay
That's pretty much a copy of the Grilliput which I already have. Again good for one person over an open fire but not much cop as a BBQ

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Boris,
If you want to go for the one you like I would be willing to chip in, it will be cooking some of my stuff after all. :toothy10:

Andy.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boris,
If you want to go for the one you like I would be willing to chip in, it will be cooking some of my stuff after all. :toothy10:

Andy.

Thanks Andy but it's not necessary. Hopefully it will last a lot longer than Germany and I'll get a good few years use out of it.

I've found favourable reviews of it on outdoors forums and lots of good feedback for the seller so I've taken a punt and gone for it. Yes it's expensive but hopefully it will serve me well.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I'm sure that this has been discussed before.. Most of us simply use this unit (I grabbed an unused one from a carboot sale for £1 )

PORTABLE / FOLDING BARBECUE GRILL / BBQ - IDEAL FOR CAMPING / WALKING - NEW | eBay

In fact I'm sure that we had a mass buy of them a couple of years ago ??? <<In fact looking at the thread you bought one anyway at the time http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/49201-portable-re-usable-bbqs.html >>
Yes - peeps

I got a load of these for you all in 2010

1 - 20 of 30 Posts