Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peace of mind at last. Have run a 16t Wemoto front sprocket for about a year and was never comfortable with the lack of a rubber cush drive as on the original Honda 15t. A solid drive cannot be as kind on the drive shaft as the rubber bushed job particularly if there is any snatch from the chain. The Honda part no is; 23801-MN8-000 kindly provided by several replies on this site and yes it is a 13 tooth spline. cost £25 from David Silver. Swapped the Honda for the Wemoto 16t and all well after filing some extra clearance on the chain guide which sits in the plastic sprocket cover. I swear the ride now sounds quieter and smoother.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Glad you are happy with it.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just be aware that you will probably need to file the chain guard (sits over the sprocket) to give clearance. This was puzzling as the original Wemoto 16t sprocket which the Honda version replaced fitted without a problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi All...you have got me curious now...
I have a believed genuine honda stamped 15k tooth sprocket (rubber both sides). Now, I can see how it would help stop vibration resinating due to the rubber dampening effect either side, but I have to say I can't see how it cushions the drive as it seems one piece of machined steel?? The rear has "cush drive" but none at the front.

Cheers
Potski

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Potski, I must confess that I had automatically assumed that the rubber provided a cushionning function and indeed this seems to be correct. You will find that a small, say 2mm dia, drill bit will pass completely through the rubber from one side to the other in places thus proving that the sprocket is not a solid one piece machined part. There may steel connections in places between the inner splines and the outer tooth section to ensure concentricity but rubber is also the meat in the sandwich. It would be interesting to see a couple of cross sectional drawings. To my mind Honda have developed the sprocket to be an improvement on bog standard steel and even at £25 compared with around £10 I am happy to fit it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Ken,

Thanks for curing my curiosity, I just couldn't see how it could cushion the drive, didn't realise it was rubber all the way through. That's what forums like this are all about.

Cheers
Potski

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Potski, Thanks for raising the subject. If anybody has a worn out Honda Sprocket it would be very illuminating if the rubber was removed to expose the actual steel connection between outer teeth and inner spline. I am also curious about the shape of the rubber addition.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
A solid drive cannot be as kind on the drive shaft as the rubber bushed job particularly if there is any snatch from the chain.
There is a cush drive in the rear hub (with massive big rubber chunks to handle the large forces involved) and not built into the front sprocket. The front sprocket is one piece and the rubber stuck to it stops the chain rattling about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Strange then that a drill bit passes clean through the rubber from one side of the sprocket to the other.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Well, the drill must have got lucky and hit a hole that is used to anchor the rubber to the sprocket.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
The rubber is purely there to absorb the impact of the chain links hitting the sprocket as they are pulled onto and around it by the teeth. it just makes it quieter and a smoother engagement of chain to sprocket,if you cut some back on an old knackered on you'll find it's all one piece of steel covered by rubber that passes THROUGH the sprocket to keep it's both sides attached. I guess you passed a drill through one of these moulding holes.I did play with the idea of taking the rubber off and retro fitting to a jt sprocket but found it is moulded on and obviously baked on in molten rubber form by the factory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts