Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Yesterday I had a chance to try out the CRF250L and i was waiting to see how it fares compared to my XR400.
First comment is: I am impressed!!!
Yes its not as powerfull as the XR, but it handled the very wet lanes with ease. On road handling is fine and the tyres work ok. 6 speed box is light and precise but needs working hard if speed is what you are after....however it pulls fine away from lights and 50mph comes up quickly. 60mph is no problem as well. After that it takes time to get faster.
Here is a picture before i headed out into the lanes...nice and clean!

Than it was time for a short run on the local byways. The biggest difference to the XR are the tyres. On the XR i have propper enduro tyres and they grip much better off road than the OE tyres on the L. Fueling i found was very smooth and nice, brakes are good and suspension although basic worked fine! Being over 6ft2 the bike is a tiny bit small for me...but bar risers would sort that.
Here are a few shots on the lanes...

as you can see the bike did well and stayed even fairly clean given the wet condition out on the lanes.
Anyway, its a great tool for green laning and short commuting.
Well worth a go.
Thanks,
Lars

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Thanks for posting Lars. Had a good look at one of these first day out at a dealers. Does look like an ideal bike for short commutes and a little laning.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
A friend took a demostrator out from thunder road and said it was a great bike he also said their selling well i just hope they bring out a 400 or 600 version then i may be tempted to buy:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I did go to Thunderoad for a look the other day and was very impressed by it. As I get older the seat height getting lower seems to make more sense. Immediately it felt soft and I sort of pigeon holed it in DR 350 territory.... maybe good maybe bad !!! I did think the engine looked a really large lump in there... but the bike does feel light and balanced just in moving it about a showroom.
The downside to me was the fact the frame looked like it would be in need of powdercoating in a very short space of time if being used for laning ... especially the type of lanes that Im used to here in South Wales. But for the price new.. I do rekon it is value for money

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys,

here is a video of a day out we spent on the Salisbury plain...

as you can see the CRF250L's did very well...

enjoy
Lars

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I thought area's down here were rough but WTF happened to that Lynx, don't tell me he just landed to drop troops and they gutted it

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Funny you that...as it was me on XR and i agree. CRF250L coped better than i thought...
One thing I notice on a couple of clips Ive seen on it is it sounds so strangled, I wonder how much better it will be with a weight saving can fitted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts