Honda XRV Forum banner
34K views 56 replies 36 participants last post by  24ftlb 
#1 ·
Straight from the Honda press release (sorry bit of a rush) (pics at the end)

The Crossrunner represents the best aspects of two separate biking genres: the flexibility and exciting attitude of a Naked performance machine with the upright riding position and rugged appearance of an adventure bike.

The Crossrunner mix is more than that, though. This machine has an 800cc V4 motor that provides a thrilling riding experience, be it for short urban trips or for covering vast distances.

Extensive customer research indicated that whilst buyers liked the appearance and the image of adventure bikes, for some the compromised stability caused by long travel suspension, taller seat heights and dual purpose tyres was a concern. The research further revealed that customers wanted a machine that had a unique stylish image and was also great fun to ride in all conditions throughout the year – whether that be on short trips around town or on long rides out across country.

The Crossrunner addresses each of these issues and in doing so delivers a uniquely adaptable riding experience. The best of both worlds.

Development concept
Stability and rider-flattering ease of use were two core design motivations for the Crossrunner project. It was always at the forefront of the design team’s minds that this motorcycle should be performance-focused, yet supremely manageable to cater for a wide range of riding capabilities. Beyond the practicalities, the Crossrunner’s wide-barred, upright riding position offers a unique riding experience that magnifies the impressions of performance and versatility.

Crossrunner prototypes have endured over 120 sessions in the wind tunnel to maximise stability-enhancing airflow. The net result of this extensive wind-flow research is unwavering stability at all speeds. This airflow technology that helped shape and form the multi-layered fairing panels lends the Crossrunner a distinctive and trend-setting appearance.

The rider’s level of machine control is enhanced by the wider than normal handlebar configuration which serves to maximise the leverage effect. This means that the Crossrunner responds accurately yet quickly to small steering inputs.

The Crossrunner has also been designed to maximise pillion comfort. The passenger is seated on a level, low platform to make mounting and dismounting easier and also to maximise the wind protection afforded by the rider. This also creates a feeling of unison between rider and pillion, adding an extra dimension of harmony to the overall riding experience.

This new model also addresses another aspect that focus groups identified as a key area ripe for consideration: the engine. Most sport tourers use an in-line four cylinder engine and most adventure bikes use a twin cylinder powerplant. This created an obvious opportunity for the Crossrunner design team.

The Crossrunner’s smooth, flexible and soulful 782cc V4 engine is specifically tuned for the kind of riding suited to this cross-purpose machine. An elastic, turbine-like delivery and smooth, readily accessible power make it very easy for the rider to find an effortless, flowing rhythm – an attribute always appreciated by the pillion.

Main features
- Liquid-cooled 782cc, 4 cam, 90° V4 engine delivers a smooth curve of power with excellent torque throughout the rev range
- Low-slung 4-2-1 exhaust system leaves room for a lower, flatter pillion seat as well as allowing for an attractive exhaust design, excellent cornering clearance and a distinctive V4 engine note
- Natural, upright riding position of a Naked machine is combined with the roominess, comfort and rugged appearance of an adventure bike
- Wide handlebar configuration contributes to quick, accurate response to steering input
- Low passenger seat is designed for easy mounting and positions pillion at similar level to the rider, resulting in better wind protection and an enhanced ride feel
- ‘Floating’ instrument binnacle is positioned for maximum visibility at all times and includes a digital LCD speedometer, a tachometer, twin trip meters, a coolant temperature gauge, an ambient temperature indicator and a clock
- Honda VTEC system with refined fuelling and ignition maps combine for a smooth progressive power delivery, abundant torque and precise control
- Aluminium alloy twin-spar frame provides excellent rigidity
- 43mm cartridge-type front fork provides supreme front wheel control and excellent rider feedback
- Cast aluminium Pro-Arm swingarm, Pro-Link rising-rate linkage system and gas-charged HMAS damper with adjustable rebound damping combine for comfort and precise control
- High-performing Combined brakes with standard-fit ABS create powerful, assured braking with optimised control and feedback

Styling
The European design team behind the Crossrunner’s unique proposition was given the opportunity to design a motorcycle that reflected the riding conditions of this new decade. The Crossrunner had to be exciting to ride but at the same time easy to master, and the styling of the machine needed to reflect these cross discipline attributes.

The Crossrunner had to be comfortable for both rider and passenger. It was also essential that the end product reflected the ultra-high quality finish that Honda has become renowned for.

The bike’s sophisticated styling is accentuated by the high and wide handlebars. Positioning the rider this way with an almost straight back and comfortably outstretched arms increases levels of comfort and improves visibility - both ahead and behind.

To place the pillion on a low, flat seat base, the Crossrunner exhaust system is a low-slung 4-2-1 system, rather than the widely adopted under-seat design. This solution also offers a neat, aesthetically pleasing exhaust routing, excellent cornering clearance and a pleasingly muted yet distinctive V4 exhaust note.

Crucial machine data is provided by a ‘floating’ instrument binnacle, placed high for optimum visibility at all times. This design technique also creates a feeling of room and airiness to visually create a sense of space.

Colours
The Crossrunner will make its European debut in three striking colour versions. In two-tone combinations, they emphasise the unique shapes and layers of the bodywork.

- Graphite Black / Matt Moonstone Silver Metallic
- Pearl Fadeless White / Matt Bullet Silver Metallic
- Candy Blazing Red / Matt Moonstone Silver Metallic

Engine
The traits of the well-proven Honda V4 engine configuration are legendary. Along with the appealing engine note, this distinctive engine architecture provides a smooth curve of power with excellent torque figures from idle to the rev limit.

To provide both optimum low speed torque and peak power, a highly developed version of Honda’s revolutionary VTEC system has been specially adjusted. This technology offers variable valve timing to optimise the degrees of valve opening – a unique proposition in the motorcycle market.

Crossrunner engineers have laboured to refine these characteristics. Throttle control linearity – the feeling of heightened rider control – was an early design goal and formed an importantly large part of the Crossrunner’s development time.

The net result is a smooth rush of progressive, linear power with abundant torque throughout the rev range and precise control at every parameter of revs, throttle position, gear position and load.

In pursuit of this goal, engineers experimented with several different inlet trumpet shapes and lengths before the optimum settings were achieved.

The 782cc, quad cam, 90 degree V4 runs an over-square bore and stroke of 72.0 x 48.0mm for efficient cylinder filling via the four-valve, down-draught cylinder heads. The liquid-cooled unit feeds its power to the rear wheel via a six speed gearbox, wet clutch and chain final drive.

An added benefit of maximising the progressive nature of the torque and power curves is efficient fuelling, resulting in a 348km range from the 21.5-litre fuel tank.

Chassis
An adaptable engine needs an equally capable chassis, and the Crossrunner delivers this with a proven aluminium alloy, twin-spar frame that provides excellent rigidity for when the rider demands more.

This sportsbike-derived chassis technology is part of the Crossrunner’s unique cross-over proposition. The design allows a much lower headstock height than traditional adventure bikes, resulting in much improved levels of rigidity. The twin aluminium alloy chassis spars that closely hug the contours of the compact engine also offer much better levels of lateral rigidity than the tubular steel frames of most Naked machines.

In harmony with this concept of a wide-ranging level of performance parameters, the Crossrunner’s suspension is equally adaptable and perfectly suited to a far-reaching range of riding styles.

Up front, 43mm cartridge forks provide supreme front wheel control and excellent rider feedback. The rear wheel is precisely governed by Honda’s race-proven Pro-link rising-rate linkage system and a gas charged HMAS damper with coil-over adjustable spring. Both front and rear suspensions provide a uniquely versatile range of damping control to suit the multi-faceted nature of the Crossrunner.

Brakes
With standard-fit ABS, the triple disc braking setup of the Crossrunner is not only powerful, but safe too. Twin 296mm floating discs are arrested by three-piston calipers at the front, whilst the rear 256mm disc brake adopts a twin-piston caliper for precise control.

Extensive development work with the ratio of master cylinder-piston to caliper-piston ratios has achieved a high degree of rider feel for optimised levels of braking control and heightened aspects of rider feedback.

Optional equipment
Honda Access Europe will be providing a range of tailored optional accessories for the Crossrunner. These have been created alongside the bike and are designed to complement its styling, comfort and versatility. The accessories include:

- 29-litre pannier kit. Operated with the motorcycle key, the panniers are aerodynamically shaped and easily detachable. The left pannier can hold one full-face helmet
- Sleek 31-litre top box featuring a locking, quick-detach mounting system. Operated with the motorcycle key, the top box can hold a full-face helmet with room for other luggage
- Tough and stylish polyester and vinyl inner bags for the top box and panniers. These are black with a Honda Wing logo, and come with carrying straps and handles. As an extra convenience feature, the pannier inner bags can be zipped together for easy carrying
- Higher windscreen that offers extended wind protection for taller riders.
- Pair of slim heated grips with an integrated controller for maximum comfort and compact design integration
- Set of two fairing deflectors, offering increased wind protection
- Mainstand that makes rear wheel maintenance easier and provides more secure parking on uneven surfaces
- 12V DC socket for powering additional electrical equipment
- An outdoor motorcycle cover that protects the paintwork from UV rays. The fabric is water-resistant and breathable, allowing the bike to dry while parked. A rope is included to tighten the cover and prevent fluttering in the wind. There are two holes in the front to allow use of a U-lock
- A U-lock and an Averto alarm kit. The alarm has an 118dB siren, a shock detector with 8 sensitivity settings and features a sleep mode to help prevent the battery from draining. Connectors and pre-wiring are included.

Specifications – Crossrunner ABS (E-type)
ENGINE
Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 16-valve DOHC 90° V-4
Displacement 782cm3
Bore Stroke 72 48mm
Compression Ratio 11.6 : 1
Max. Power Output 74.9kW/10,000min-1 (95/1/EC)
Max. Torque 72.8Nm/9,500min-1 (95/1/EC)
Idling Speed 1200min-1
Oil Capacity 3.8 litres
FUEL SYSTEM
Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Throttle Bore 36mm
Aircleaner Oil-permeated, cartridge-type paper filter
Fuel Tank Capacity 21.5 litres
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Ignition System Computer-controlled digital transistorised with electronic advance
Ignition Timing 8° BTDC (idle) ~ 50° BTDC (1200min-1)
Sparkplug Type IMR9D-9H (NGK); VNH27Z (DENSO)
Starter Electric
Battery Capacity 12V/11AH (YTZ-12S)
ACG Output 386W
Headlights 12V; 55W 1 (low) / 55W 1 (high)
DRIVETRAIN
Clutch Wet, multiplate with coil springs
Clutch Operation Hydraulic
Transmission Type Constant mesh 6-speed
Primary Reduction 1.934 (64/33)
Gear Ratios 1 2.846 (37/13)
2 2.062 (33/16)
3 1.578 (30/19)
4 1.291 (31/24)
5 1.111 (30/27)
6 0.965 (28/29)
Final Reduction 2.687 (43/16)
Final Drive O-ring sealed chain
FRAME
Type Diamond; aluminium twin-spar; pivotless
CHASSIS
Dimensions (LWH) 2,130 799 1,243mm
Wheelbase 1,464mm
Caster Angle 25° 45'
Trail 96mm
Turning Radius 2.8m
Seat Height 816mm
Ground Clearance 140mm
Kerb Weight 240.4kg (F: 115.2kg; R: 125.2kg)
SUSPENSION
Front 43mm cartridge-type telescopic fork with stepless preload adjustment, 108mm axle travel
Rear Pro-Link with gas-charged HMAS damper, 7-step preload and stepless rebound damping adjustment, 119mm axle travel
WHEELS
Type Front 6-spoke cast aluminium
Rear 5-spoke cast aluminium
Rim Size Front 17M/C MT3.50
Rear 17M/C MT5.50
Tyre Size Front 120/70 R17
Rear 180/55 R17
Tyre Pressure Front 225kPa
Rear 250kPa
BRAKES
Front 296mm dual floating hydraulic disc with 3-piston calipers, C-ABS and sintered metal pads
Rear 256mm hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper, C-ABS and sintered metal pads

All specifications are provisional and subject to change without notice.

See less See more
#3 ·
Most definitely!!

Its not as if they don't have sight of what sells well i.e. the R1200GS, R800GS, Triumph Tiger etc :( Very dissapointed, I think the dark side is looming. I'll keep my old RD03's but my RD07a may have to go to make way for a GS or new Tiger 800!!!!!

#9 ·
Not sure what to think - might be Ok, but at 240kg 'kerb weight' it's a bit of a bloater compared with the other 'road bikes with styling' (Dorsoduro and its ilk). Also, since everyone is thinking it, I'll have to say it - if the TDM was nicknamed the 'Tedium', this is surely going to be marked with 'Crossdresser'.

#12 ·
Also, since everyone is thinking it, I'll have to say it - if the TDM was nicknamed the 'Tedium', this is surely going to be marked with 'Crossdresser'.
Remember......you heard it here first!!!!:thumbup:

#13 ·
1/4 tonne minger :toothy1:

oooh Triumph :hitler:

seriously this is a cross dresser, Stig got that one right ..

what is it? :cheers:
VFXR 800 dulville spawn?

#14 ·
Main features
- Low-slung 4-2-1 exhaust system leaves room for a lower, flatter pillion seat as well as allowing for an attractive exhaust design,

<snip>

attractive? maybe, but they dont mention the exhaust is the size of a f**king house, and unless its made of tinfoil will weigh a bloody tonne.

#17 ·
It is heavy that is why it is so low , it is to take the CoG low.
Where is the survey that says this is what customers want?
I am sorry Mr Honda but the current Varadero is a big and ugly as I am prepared to go.
Time to look elsewhere.

I mean he bike is at the limit of style compared to the current trend of designs.

#16 · (Edited)
I like it!

Pics make it look very big but the images with the riders show its more like the old VFR750 with a few more upright gestures.

Add a tall screen, replace the can with an Arrow (bound to come next, before the Euro gits step in), add some soft luggage and youve got a great mileage cruncher suited for endurance rides, alpine holidays and blaps round France.

Its a 1200GS without the ewan/charley looks and for those that realise they arent gonna go off-road in the first place and dont want to spend the extra dosh for a badge.

Weight is a bit heavy which woud be my only concern bit its not that much over the Alp so as long as its low down weight. Couldve been shaftdriven though...concept crossover model shows it with a shaft.

Main competition will be the likes of the Triumph Tiger 1050 or even the ew 800 and maybe even the BMW 1200RS. Obvious big engine and HP difference, but I reckon it'll be more playful on twistys and for the average height riders, will be easier to live with.

Id def have this over the new Triumph Tiger 800 road model, makes the Tiger8 look like a GS650.

If like me, you wanted a Varadero but didnt like the extra weight....this is your boy. (10cm shorter, 10cm narrower chassis/seat heaight only 2 cm less).

#21 ·
Errrr....at the Stella Alpina, some ride up the mountain pass on sports bikes...does that make them off road?

I'd easily have taken my old VFR down that gravel track....show it a muddy/leafy UK lane and the best it can do is park.

Alpine gravel paths are one thing, marketing it as off road is another. I reckon it's just the marketing dept trying to convey the feeling of adventure or point out what the bikes for.

Think charley/Ewan. Most need a picture to tell them what the words mean. Their actual adventures don't go further than a Sunday run to the bike shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
240kg?????????

My Carbedero officially weighs 220kg dry! Don't know what the wet weight is, but the Vara's got a fist full of power from it's 1000cc's.

Don't believe I'll be seeing one of these "CrossDressers" in my garage anytime - ever!

Now the new Tiger :thumbright:

Steve T

:cool:

#37 ·
240kg?????????
They must be using lead and granite for chassis parts nowadays.

Why do they have to make new bikes so heavy!? :confused::confused::confused:

In 6 years time we'll get one that weighs 255kg...

#24 ·
Well that's it, then. Mass exodus to Triumph.

I think that 1200 may take some of the GS1200 market though I'd be pleasantly surprised if the Honda's torque curve was a proper match for the boxer twin.

But the 800? Well it will be as smooth as cream, and some will warm to its looks, but this does not seem to be much of a reply to the Triumph 800, on sale from today...

:confused:

#32 ·
Check out the wheels - spoked like a BMW for tubeless Tyres - I like that the rest is a bit fussy and the engine too big but nice wheels

#41 ·
People that owned real Landrovers didn't moan when the Freelander was released. Because it wasn't aimed at them. Like this isn't aimed at us. :thumb:

However the looks of the crossrunner are growing on me everyday! I will not buy one as its not my bag. But if I was after a road bike, then I would most defiantly try it. Hell I still might just to see how it feels.

#42 ·
triumph are the only peeps that seem to be listening to their buyers at the mo,,,honda seems to have ****ed the Genes of the twin out of their designers minds and are only interested pure road bikes:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.