Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmm, chunky looking
Overall looks good, but, first thing I noticed is very little suspension travel ?
I would like to see shaft drive and a screen
Edit - just blew the photo up and its chain drive :(

·
Registered
268 Posts
https://www.morebikes.co.uk/44181/gotcha-hondas-next-wave-adventure-bike-revealed/

View attachment 133257

And whilst this motorcycle doesn’t ape back to the glory days of Honda’s early Adventure motorbikes like a Transalp or an XR, it does ape the styling and key selling points of that original German bike from nearly 40 years ago.

Honda Bulldog concept:

View attachment 133265
What are they doing? The motorcycling world doesn't need another backwards looking behemoth...Bulldog?...Bullsh*t more like! I hope this is Honda's attempt at an april fool...:compress:

A V twin CRF Rally would be a better bet, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would not bank on this patent ever getting put into production. Two years ago we had this story:

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/28990/patents-suggesting-honda-transalp-back/

I am pretty sure Honda will not go back to a V-twin. The best we can hope for us a CRF800 Transalp, with a parallel twin motor. But I think that is unlikely as they have all bases covered

first 'big' bike & commuting - CB500/NC750
Adventure - CRF1000 & ADV Scooter (or NC750X or CB500X)
Touring - Cross runner/Cross tourer/VFR800
Sports - CBR range
Learner - CB125 & other scooters

It does not appear a new Transalp would fit into their range anywhere

Interestingly the Crossrunner and Crosstourer are not featured on the Honda website anymore

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would not bank on this patent ever getting put into production. Two years ago we had this story:

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/28990/patents-suggesting-honda-transalp-back/

I am pretty sure Honda will not go back to a V-twin. The best we can hope for us a CRF800 Transalp, with a parallel twin motor. But I think that is unlikely as they have all bases covered

first 'big' bike & commuting - CB500/NC750
Adventure - CRF1000 & ADV Scooter (or NC750X or CB500X)
Touring - Cross runner/Cross tourer/VFR800
Sports - CBR range
Learner - CB125 & other scooters

It does not appear a new Transalp would fit into their range anywhere

Interestingly the Crossrunner and Crosstourer are not featured on the Honda website anymore
The CB500X with a few more HP, better clearance and suspenders plus spoked rims (a la Rally Raid but cheaper) would be a safe bet....I'd buy one :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The CB500X with a few more HP, better clearance and suspenders plus spoked rims (a la Rally Raid but cheaper) would be a safe bet....I'd buy one :thumbup:
They do look nice, but maybe a but small if you are tall

The NC750 Rally Raid would be an interesting idea though

STATIC_Rally Raid Honda CB500X_02.jpg

·
Registered
533 Posts
A proper CRF based on the 500 engine is what we need, the current CB500X does not count as an Adv as it has no character nor offroad ability.

·
Registered
268 Posts
..................the current CB500X does not count as an Adv as it has no character nor offroad ability.
Neither do I....:-D

By the time they've tweaked the CRF frame to take the extra stress and luggage carrying capability, it'd be a CB....:king:

Now if only KTM could make a seat you can sit on for more than an hour....and an engine that doesn't need stripping once a month....

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the trouble is, if you put an 700-800cc engine into a bike like the CRF Africa Twin, it ends up being almost as heavy as the CRF1000

Other manufacturers have woken up to the fact that there is a market for smaller adventure bikes than can "do it all". Eg the new BMW F800GS looks nice, as does the Suzuki Vstrom 650XT. Yet Honda only has the big CRF 1000

86072.jpg

060617-2017-suzuki-v-strom-650xt-D4N1291-583x388.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think the trouble is, if you put an 700-800cc engine into a bike like the CRF Africa Twin, it ends up being almost as heavy as the CRF1000

Other manufacturers have woken up to the fact that there is a market for smaller adventure bikes than can "do it all". Eg the new BMW F800GS looks nice, as does the Suzuki Vstrom 650XT. Yet Honda only has the big CRF 1000

View attachment 133322

View attachment 133330
Both are appealing but they're still quite heavy though. Let's face it, most modern adventure bikes will never see anything more gnarly than an unmettalled road, or a stately home car park, unless it's being ridden by a journalist....so the whole 'off road capability' thing is just a sop to those with Long Way Round pretensions (include myself). CCM should smash the truly lightweight adv. bike if and when they bring out the new 650 GP adventure, but it'll be such an expensive niche machine that it'll be poaching potential KTM buyers rather than would-be V Strom/Beemer types.

SWM's Super dual looks suitably business-like but it's a single.

SWMSUperDual01-610x400.jpg

These ladies were most helpful, when I asked them about the superduals' valve timing configuration....and just imagine how much stuff you could stick in those boxes

·
Registered
533 Posts
I live in a village, the roads don't get gritted or ploughed, farmers deposit their fields on the roads, there are more pot holes than drains, and the quickest route to my mate's is across a field. There IS a need for a lightweight adventure bike in rural Britain.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yamaha's T7 will be out soon enough, I'd hope that its a decent weight but Yamaha always go for durability over light weight.
The CP3 engine is a nice powerplant and should perform more than adequately while giving good economy.
Honda have missed the boat again with not having a mid size ADV type machine imo, I don't think Honda have made a decent bike in the last 10 years that excites me like the older stuff.
Dropped the XR650R after a short time, even when all they needed to do was put an E-start on it and make it emissions compliant.
They are too corporate now and any adventurous engineers they had are long since gone to retirement homes or other companies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-and-the-mission-to-get-it-back-idUSKCN1BI18J

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was initially interested in the Yamaha T7, but when the prototypes were released it seemed to be more "off-road" biased. ie skinny seat. Honda already have the CRF range for proper off-roading

What Honda needs is the equivalent to the BMW F800GS or the Vstrom 650. ie A true 'do-it-all' bike that can be used as a commuter, a 'medium distance' tourer, and maybe some gentle off-road/trail riding, ie exactly that the Transalp 600/650 is! This is why the Transalp 600 was so well-loved. It does everything 'quite well'.

A CRF700 Transalp with only ABS (no other electronics) is what Honda should make.

·
Registered
742 Posts
There is a few CRF500L's about that enterprising people have built from the CRF250L frame with a CB500F engine, There was one at a bike show and Honda UK were there and looked at and walked away saying nice job but it has no market here.
To me this is the root of the problem, you have a massive corporate machine that doesn't really listen to what real world riders want. Instead they'd prefer that you went out and bought either their CRF1000 or a Superbike.
It would be a small and cheap exercise for them to actually produce a proper 500cc adv bike even just from the parts that they already make.
If Honda UK could pull their corporate heads out of their collective anuses long enough to actually look at what people are making themselves then they might have a hope, if they are relying on that small lump of excrement called a Bulldog to increase ADV sales I think they are in for a rude shock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the Bulldog is just a styling exercise (and I'm pretty certain I've seen it before... Last year or maybe even 2016).
As mentioned previously, building a 600-650-750-800 wouldn't really give anything the new AT doesn't do already.
For serious ADV style off-road the AT is pretty impressive in every way except the weight (although it's inline with it's big engine competitors).
For the usual ADV stuff where a muddy country lane or farm road is the limit of off-road that the bike will see, the ADV/X options on the 750 and 500 would be more than enough for most people. Whilst for real rough off-road stuff a smaller CRF meets the requirements.
To my mind the Bulldog would fit into the Ducati/Triumph scrambler field rather than a proper ADV bike.
But maybe I'm wrong....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess if the upcoming Guzzi V85 keeps its wheight under control, and the long announced Yammy T7 finally arrives, they will both be very popular.
Then a couple of more years the rest will follow.
But I have to say that I find it genarally very strange that there seems to be such a huge gap between what people want and what is offered by the producers.

You could go almost 40 years back and find the BMW R80GS to be almost exactly what we want today! Heck, put on some modern brakes, suspension and 10 more HP, and I would pick that over anyything sold new today! :D

When they can make a 1000cc 4cylinder 200hp 170kg bike, why the hell cant they make a 600-800cc 2 cyl 60-80hp 180-190kg bike?

·
Registered
268 Posts
........... why the hell cant they make a 600-800cc 2 cyl 60-80hp 180-190kg bike?
They can...they just choose not to. 80hp for a 180kg bike would be more than enough for an adventure style bike....that's like a 600 transalp with 60% more power! Think I'd invest in better brakes...:D

I keep on about it, but either the CB500X with top drawer suspension or the CRF250 Rally with a parallel twin 500 motor would be a big sellers, I reckon

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts