Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all i was in the local honda dealers yesterday and ended up buying a set of genuine heated grips, they were the ones with the new 3 button led control box but they had a couple of sets with the old dial type control, he asked in the workshop if the old control unit was compatible with the new unit and it was, at this point i didnt realise the price :(.

I could see units behind him on the shelf non genuine aftermarket brands from around £50 so i thought these would be around £80 - £90??

By the time i had the two mini looms and a different bracket to the one supplied ( in case i couldnt use the one in the box) even with discount it came to £150. I thought thats ok because ive heard bad stories of oxford ones and alike so i thought it was best paying more for a better product.

I was flicking through the internet this morning and came accros "Jaws motorcycles,blackbird spares" and half way down thier page they are selling a set that looks identical to mine for £38, it says they are a high quality kit that matches OEM HONDA stuff. I'm going back next weekend to pick up some more bits so i'll be showing him the advert and seeing what he says !!

How much have you guys paid for genuine honda ones from a honda dealer ?????

Thanks, Rant over

·
Registered
7 Posts
£150??!!! Outch!!!

My £40ish Daytonas aren't too bad.
Wouldn't know about the genuine Honda items, but then I never buy OEM unless I really have to - especially parts/accessories that are obviously made by someone else in any case! I mean do Honda et al really have all these factories that make their own heated grips, topboxes and panniers, screens, etc. After all, items like wheel rims, front forks, rear shocks, filters and electrical components are all outsourced. Sure, you get what you pay for - but only to a point. Branded stuff is always overpriced IMHO. (Sorry Honda et al!)

Anyway, my first approach before buying anything is to spend what seems an eternity researching on the web - especially informed forums ;) - first!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've used Jaws before as my previous bike was a blackbird and he knows his stuff about bb's. He is really good for aftermarket spares and (I believe) he has fairly recently got into adventure bikes after buying a BMW GS (poor uneducated fool:D), so he may start looking at carrying stock for those kind of bikes. Let's hope!
I would really recommend him, as his customer service is really impressive!:thumb::thumbright:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just been out on the @ this morning and i can tell you the grips are very good, i have a pair of quite thick new RST gloves and you can really feel the warmth whilst you are riding, i stopped and quickly took one of my gloves off and felt the grip with bare hands and it was uncomfortable to grip it tightly for any length of time.

As others have said they do go cooler whilst its on tick over but soon warm up again when on the move again.

I couldnt ever see me using them on anything but max though :).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lutin, i went on his site and could see a set for £90 but couldnt see the ones you mentioned. what was the part number ??

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Isn't there an issue about using heated grips with goretex gloves?
i.e. the liner can't take it??????

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Isn't there an issue about using heated grips with goretex gloves?
i.e. the liner can't take it??????
yes it causes them to leak as does not washing them, But if your wearing gore-tex gloves why do you need heated grips??? The colder the weather is the more the warming effect is from the gloves as gore-tex works better the colder it gets. You do need to check weather the gloves are Gore-tex or Gore-tex lined. If they are fully gore-tex the lining will say gore-tex in the fabric's weave. I use my Salomon gore-tex ski-ing gloves all winter and have neverhad a cold hand yet.

The leaking problem with gore-tex gloves is that the fabric is designed like a spider's web, water beads over the top of it and hence is not absorbed. When heated up the webs expand and allows water through. The reason dirt makes them leak is because the dirt gets trapped between the webs/pores and that makes it possible for the dirt to absorb the water and allow ith through the lining

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
my Held goretex gloves have never leaked or even felt damp inside despite 2 years regular use with heated grips.

As I understand it one of the ways goretex works is by having a temperature differential. I might be talking ******** here but if you can remember O level Physics Boyles Law T=P*V (or is it T=P/V), whatever it means that when the temperature is higher the pressure is higher and the pressure difference pushes the water vapour through the goretex membrane - otherwise it would just sit there getting steamier and steamier. So hot sweaty body "pushes" water vapour through the membrane reducing the likelihood of condensation on the inside.

So when using heated grips with goretex gloves with heated grips I actually thought the problem was that the heater creates a reverse temperature differential, ie colder inside than out and water vapour can come through from outside due to the pressure/temperature differential.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hiya, I have a set of oxfords (£44.95), they took about an hour to fit and my phalanges are like toast.:thumbup:I got two mates who have the same type and they love em as well! I just wear my summer gloves, no problems as yet.
Just need some heated footpegs now!:joker:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts