Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it looks a bit like the old 650 Dommie, but this seems the most appropriate place for a first report.

I finally got the new toy out this weekend as I held of insuring it until the Vara policy was up and put them both on a Multibike Policy. That was hard when the weather has been so good of late :) The dirty deed was done last Friday, a bit of a struggle as only two companies have the Falcon on their lists! My NX4 is a 2003 model, with just 650km on the clock!!!

So out of the container and on with the Airhawk as the seat is a tad cramped for me.

First impression of the 400 engine was that it seemed quite lively and revved out nicely, BUT I must remember she is running in still.... So a gentle first 30 miles, and God, the seat is a pig as it is most suitable for a 5'8" person I reckon. The seat tilts down to the tank a bit too much and needs the butt kick pushing back 2" as well, so a seat mod is high on the list before a big trip later in the year. Footrests a bit too close to the seat for me and need lowering for comfort, again OK for a 28-30" inside leg. Not too bad on vibes which was a bonus, less that the 800GS I felt :)

The miles crept on and I re-learned how to ride a trailie again on my way down to Bishops Castle (to see Vader and the missus who were camping there with Hudders for the w/e). You all know what I mean, laaaaate into corners, dab the rear brake, then chuck it over as far as required, then nail the throttle coming out!! Huge fun and the 400cc motor is happy to do this as well as pootle along in 4/5 gear for B road cruising. Back end is a touch hard, especially for off-road work, but I'll leave alone as in a fortnight, it'll be loaded to within an inch of it's life with gear for a 2-3 night camping session in Naaarfolk. :)

Wind pressure at 60+ is pretty well impossible, says he after years of hiding behind a screen. A small chest screen is earmarked for an early install... Fast dual carriagway means feet on pillion pegs and hunker down into the wind. :)

I became more and more chuffed with the little NX as I whizzed back up to Telford over winding B roads that I know quite well, enough power to have fun and "make progress". Just need to sort the ergonomics out, but for the money I paid, a few quid spent on the seat and the bar risers will be well spent and is affordable. Pick up an old pair of XR footrests and mod them for a slight lowering should be feasible too.

Do I want to do a 400 mile day on it.....? The jury is out on that one :-D Is it a budget small adv bike? I am pretty sure it has all the capabilities for this role, it needs tweaking, but what bike doesn't? As I said to Hudders, I wanted a CCM, but the cost....! I reckon I can get the NX4 kitted to my requirements for a 1/3 -1/4 of the CCM price :thumbup: Not as good off road granted, but how much time do we really spend at MX speeds on a trail??

Hopefully, I have some farkling toys coming from Brazil with the help of Osvalter (of this Parish), then a set of 2nd soft panniers and it'll ready for anything :) It reminds me of the old 600 Transalp in some ways. Jack of all trades....

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are a few available below if anyone wants to have a looksee :) They are I believe 2006 models, made just before they were changed, then removed from the market prior around 2010 to then being relaunched in 2012 with FI for emissions nonsense.

Stafford Honda had a 2nd hander, at a price!

Falcon

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Lovely bikes, big brother to the Tornado 250. Not a bad price, to get hold of a 'NEW" carb'd trail bike in this day and age ! :thumbup:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lovely bikes, big brother to the Tornado 250. Not a bad price, to get hold of a 'NEW" carb'd trail bike in this day and age ! :thumbup:
I hope not to have to fiddle, but as you say a modern, carbed trail bike has appeal for some folks as you can actually work on the engine and fuelling. :) The NX4 feels like a mid 90s trailie to me.

Would it get me the HISS??? Their lies the question ;-)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You went to Churchstoke then?? Blast !!

As it turned out, after 2 days on bike, I actually
Ly did some work this morning...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Of course it'll get you there,why rush ? and it's an ideal bike to do the HISS :thumbup:

Are you doing one of them ? I'm doing the June jobby. Took an outfit last time, this time I think it'll be the Dommie :)

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the bike Steve, but where are the pictures?:p:D:D

Andy.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course it'll get you there,why rush ? and it's an ideal bike to do the HISS :thumbup:

Are you doing one of them ? I'm doing the June jobby. Took an outfit last time, this time I think it'll be the Dommie :)
I am very much hoping to do one, as Spain has been beckoning for Donkeys Years, back to mid 80's when some of the WM TRF group used to ride in the Picos! Probably thosloonies that got bikes banned ;-) June appeals more as it'll be cooler, and the Santander ferry is cheaper, BUT it is further to go. Time is the bugger in June though, as I might be looking at starting hay/silage around then...

Which route are you going? I see you are just "popping in" as ooposed to stopping for a few days?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Are you doing one of them ? I'm doing the June jobby. Took an outfit last time, this time I think it'll be the Dommie :icon_smile:
I am very much hoping to do one, as Spain has been beckoning for Donkeys Years, back to mid 80's when some of the WM TRF group used to ride in the Picos! Probably thosloonies that got bikes banned ;-) June appeals more as it'll be cooler, and the Santander ferry is cheaper, BUT it is further to go. Time is the bugger in June though, as I might be looking at starting hay/silage around then...

Which route are you going? I see you are just "popping in" as ooposed to stopping for a few days?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Change of plan as my mate won't be leaving his farm till the Sunday. I'm going to La Pobla for the Saturday night with Simon an Co,then down to do the whole of the HISS and a bit of other stuff too. My mate will ride alone from UK and arrive in Teruel later in the week. I'm driving down the whole 1500km with my bikes in Camper. :D (it's an age thing coming on). :rolleyes:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you are enjoying the bike Steve, but where are the pictures?:p:D:D

Andy.
Have to admit I hadn't got a camera with me :-( Hope to take an evening run with a spot of laneing that will have some photo op

You doing the Ardnamurchan rally at the end of May?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Change of plan as my mate won't be leaving his farm till the Sunday. I'm going to La Pobla for the Saturday night with Simon an Co,then down to do the whole of the HISS and a bit of other stuff too. My mate will ride alone from UK and arrive in Teruel later in the week. I'm driving down the whole 1500km with my bikes in Camper. :D (it's an age thing coming on). :rolleyes:
Ahh, when/where's your mate coming from then? I am looking at the various options this evening, a ferry to N Spain is a non starte now as they are effectively booked up, ferry to Caen/St Malo and then trek down over 2 full days seems the best option for June at the moment, and can probably be booked late ;-)

Got to say the idea of lobbing the bike in a camper sounds brilliant, 2-3 day meander down and accomodation and the kitchen sink all to hand.

I could ask SWMBO what her thoughts would be on my taking the pickup off for a fortnight....

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Johnny B is doing a one shot from Calais on his Victory Vegas after going to Lords for Cricket on the Saturday ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On the first Hiss there must have been 8/9 vans,trailers or pick-ups. :thumbup:

£160 return on the ferry, 42mpg and no hotel costs. I just hope it's as much fun as biking all the way ? I usually have to lie down on the verge at some point with the bike,leaving passers by to think I'd expired ! At least I can get in the back when I start to fade now. :D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Johnny B is doing a one shot from Calais on his Victory Vegas after going to Lords for Cricket on the Saturday ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Woh, that's a far haul in one hit, pushing on impossible for me!! The Vegas must have an autopilot fitted ;-)

On the first Hiss there must have been 8/9 vans,trailers or pick-ups. :thumbup:

£160 return on the ferry, 42mpg and no hotel costs. I just hope it's as much fun as biking all the way ? I usually have to lie down on the verge at some point with the bike,leaving passers by to think I'd expired ! At least I can get in the back when I start to fade now. :D
Just looking at the ABR thread, it does seem quite a lot of the bikes are being trailered down, and if you can share the cost between 2-3 folks that is a perfect option.

At 56, I am not convinced my body wants a massive ride down to Spain without sensible rest stops en route. France is easy, as you can always find a municipal camp site somewhere and they rarely can't find room for one bike and a tent :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Woh, that's a far haul in one hit, pushing on impossible for me!! The Vegas must have an autopilot fitted ;-)

Just looking at the ABR thread, it does seem quite a lot of the bikes are being trailered down, and if you can share the cost between 2-3 folks that is a perfect option.

At 56, I am not convinced my body wants a massive ride down to Spain without sensible rest stops en route. France is easy, as you can always find a municipal camp site somewhere and they rarely can't find room for one bike and a tent :thumbup:
Ha ! :D .............No, JB isn't doing the HISS,he's heading for the French Pyrenees first and just coming down to meet me later in the week as we plan to do a bit of runnin' round the south of Spain later in the trip (the Vegas mind,is fantastic bike to do distance on :thumbup:)

56 ? According to the "Old arse table" That'll be just three sheets of bubble wrap on the seat then. :) I'm on four now ! :D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
56 ? According to the "Old arse table" That'll be just three sheets of bubble wrap on the seat then.
I'm on four now !
Ah ha, someone else who has "discovered" bubble wrap!! I have used it on the pillion of both my old TA and the Vara when I have had my son on board for a couple of longer trips. Seemed to work well too :) Good for old 'n young alike

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Latest Update:

Now done a run to Thetford this weekend, a mix of A5, M1 and A14 with a bit of B road scratching on the way out, then a full days trail riding with the ATR lads, and then back again cross country on A/B roads all the way from Banham back to Telford today.

Total round trip was 518 miles, consumption overall was a very respectable 70MPG exactly. Engine is good to about 60-65, above which the Single vibes are a bit of PITA, and other places... Cruising A roads is a pleasure and M'way is OK for a while, although the lack of a screen got to me as I am so used to having one (one on order!)

Comfort? Not brilliant TBH, the seat has been remodelled to give more room which has helped and I used an Airhaw, but after a couple of hours I get sore butt syndrome, a bit of B road playing tends to make me forget the bum ache though ;-) Maybe a sheepskin on top of the Airhawk? A couple more inches of seat height would help, but would then be a nuisance without a 36" IL measurement as well, which would negate the improvement :). The seat/footpeg distance is also an issue (for me) , but I will sort that with wider and lower pegs. Foam grips are great and well worth the 12 quid.

Trail riding on it was a hoot, man and machine kept up albeit that Naaarfolk sand is a bit scarey the first time!!! Especially on trail tyres!!!! :-( The NX4 handled it well, and felt safe and secure 95% of the time. Sussies were well capable of coping with full blown whoops, at above TRF speeds! ;-)

Overall? Impressed, I always expected to spend a few hundred to get to my spec (as we all do with our bikes), but the basic ingredients are pretty good. Pannier frame is a must as are engine bars, both for protection of rare plastics!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts