Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
And a latest update on the life and times of a Honda Falcon.....

Well, she went through 8K Km this afternoon humming down the M6 at a steady 70 from Penrith after a weekend in Northumbria with the local TRF group. The bike was heavily laden with all my usual camping gear, so lardy Farmer and 30kg of gear I expect! Still enough in reserve for an overtake to 80 and steady 75 to get past a more trick car... Consumption drops a bit to high 60s then but overall is very respectable.

It has been obvious how much the bike has loosened up over the past few hundred miles which makes it more of pleasure to ride. It still seems a bit small for my build in some ways, but it is fun in the twisties and pulls from really low down with a good set ratios in the gearbox. An annoying change from 2nd to 1st and an awful neutral are the two little grumbles I have there.

Suspension is deffo budget and does get a little unhappy at high speed off road stuff! Whoops are..... a challenge. New fork oil last week helped as the ATF in the forks was like grey soup. I think 15w would have been worth it. I may suck 250ml out of each fork and pop some 20w in for an experiment. Stiffer springs might help too, but are not going to be easy to source?? Maybe more preload with a couple of bits of tube?? The rear gets out of shape and needs a Hagon or something, but manages OK ;)

A few of the farkling kit from Brazil have been useful, the engine bars and centre stand less so. The bars make the bike too wide for very narrow ruts and fitting the centre stand is an issue by reducing ground cleance more than I like for off roading... Carrier is great. I wish i had ordered a plastic tank now too, 120 quid would have been money well spent.

I ride with a gel pad in place at all times, and the Airhawk for longer days on the road. I will be taking it back to Spain in September so more 9-10 hr days. :thumbup:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Had a spare hour last week so I did the operation on the lower linkage on the back end I have intended to do for months. The deep water crossings the w/e before made me think it was time I checked..

That is pull it all apart and grease everything in sight. Well to be honest, it all seemed a bit uneccessary, the whole assembly was OK and seemed reasonably well lubed, so maybe Honda Brazil actually puts a dab of grease on the bearings and shafts on assembly...! It should be good for a few thousand miles now :thumbup:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I finally got on the case and ordered a 22l plastic tank for the NX4, more for crash resistance than extra fuel capacity, but it performs nicely in both areas! :) Donts ask how I know about the former...

View attachment 82609

In the Pyrenees again earlier in the month. Range is now in the order of 400km+, but as I do not have a Reserve tap, I am reluctant to push this any further, but I may try it when I have a spare 3l can some day. A tap is a MUST as soon as I can find one to fit. I had an issue with fuelling after fitting the tank but put it down to a bit og plastic swarf getting in the carb and blocking the float as well as possibly blocking a jet. The air line sorted this.... The bike did 3.5k there and back just fine after my bodging fix anyway! :D

I was well chuffed on my way back when I did Agen to Caen in effectively one hit, no Motorway other than 20miles of dual carriageway, lots of D roads. 11 hours travelling and I was still pretty comfortable. TBH, I question how much quicker the Vara would be over the same distance.

Winter projects are lots of trail riding and try and sort the sussies out a bit. I have another NX4 in my sights as it would be rude not to get another one if the price is good, for my son to come adventuring too!! :cool: I might look at a lighter exhaust, but this is pretty low in priorities. I am pleased at the wheel build so far as I was going to put an XR400 wheel in, but why bother...? Spokes all seem tight and in GWO even after a huge hammering off road.

A mate wondered if it was an adventure bike, I reckon it must be now, by any stretch of the word...!! I was asked in May if I would like to ride in Morocco this Winter, I declined, but not because the bike was inadequate for the trip, as I would happily load it up and ride to Gib tomorrow. :thumbright:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts