Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a genuine honda topbox from ebay and hope I havnt made a mistake. It is off a Varadero so I presumed it would fit an @ question is will it and if not what will I need. On my @ is the original Honda carrier.

Thx

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hi mate, there are two different black plastic racks for the @T, one's just a rack, might carry a U lock under it, the other has the fittings for taking the topbox. The Vara's the same I think.
You could ask around here if someone has the rack that takes the topbox but doesn't use it? I know my first black one had the topbox and rack and when I bought my Varadero I swapped the rack with my mate Craig's one to sell him the luggage. His rack swapped with mine bolt for bolt.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate, there are two different black plastic racks for the @T, one's just a rack, might carry a U lock under it, the other has the fittings for taking the topbox. The Vara's the same I think.
You could ask around here if someone has the rack that takes the topbox but doesn't use it? I know my first black one had the topbox and rack and when I bought my Varadero I swapped the rack with my mate Craig's one to sell him the luggage. His rack swapped with mine bolt for bolt.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice lets hope somebody as one spare and read this hint hint PM if you can help:thumb:

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
I might have one knocking around, but finding it will be fun. Mine is using a cut down Givi mounting plate at present because it's longer, so the Honda one isn't needed. I bought it over Fleabay some time back - realised the sockets must be for the proper top box, but we would need to make sure it's the same fitting first.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
The aftermarket rack isn't that pricey, see here for e.g. -
DavidSilverSparesTopBoxCarrier
I think the main difference was the holes at the front,+ one on top near the back, to take the top-box 'clips'; otherwise they look very similar. Question is, will the top-box fit the carrier - the box + rack I got from David Silver Spares was apparently for a VFR800 & fitted on no problems at all.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
It makes more sense to go for that as all the fittings are included - not a bad price! Shame about the colour, but spray paint exists....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might have one knocking around, but finding it will be fun. Mine is using a cut down Givi mounting plate at present because it's longer, so the Honda one isn't needed. I bought it over Fleabay some time back - realised the sockets must be for the proper top box, but we would need to make sure it's the same fitting first.
When I get it I will send PM and some pics with sizes hopefully it will fit and Thx

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The aftermarket rack isn't that pricey, see here for e.g. -
DavidSilverSparesTopBoxCarrier
I think the main difference was the holes at the front,+ one on top near the back, to take the top-box 'clips'; otherwise they look very similar. Question is, will the top-box fit the carrier - the box + rack I got from David Silver Spares was apparently for a VFR800 & fitted on no problems at all.

Decided to go for one of these as rgarrioch says all the fitments are there and I have asked david silver if it will fit so fingers crossed
Thx all who answered.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to go for one of these as rgarrioch says all the fitments are there and I have asked david silver if it will fit so fingers crossed
Thx all who answered.

Hi all this is the reply to me buying the @ cheap carrier mentioned earlier in the post im hoping for someone with more knowledge lol

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your email.

The MY5 carrier for your bike is designed to have the MY5 top box so the only guarantee I would be able to give is for this top box.

As you have purchased an MCW top box I wouldn’t be able to say either way that it will or won’t fit to the carrier for your bike. It would be left to you I’m afraid to find this out, and you may need to make some adjustments to get it to fit correctly. This would be at your own risk though as we don’t have a workshop so have no way of telling whether non standard parts are compatible with each other.

Please advise if you still wish to order the carrier or if you wish to cancel this order.

Any further questions please feel free to email/call me.

Kind Regards

Ben Thurston

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
my varadero top box plate has holes in two rows of three 246mm apart, holes are 70mm apart.
2007 onwards varaderos have different holes.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi just so nobody else as the same problem as me the Honda topbox I bought which I must say looks good is part number 08L55-MCW-8000-15-A and the carrier for the @ is 08L42MY5C00 AND THE GOOD NEWS IS THEY FIT NO PROBLEM thx for all who tried to help :thumbleft:

Thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts