Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my mind at rest guys ( I know its not far of resting most of then time anyway )

Despite £300 ish for a plastic box I have bought a Honda box ( colour matched to the fastest colour , yellow ( or Barley or whatever its defined as ) Fitted I am sure its OK and seems little slides and it does look as if its designed to have a wee bit of lateral movement.
So does anyone elses do this , fairly easily slides slightly side to side ( less than a cm ) and if so why??
If not why does mine !!!

Never been a big fan of top boxes , always thought they looked iffy but pretty pleased and despite fitting 2 helmets in it does not look as if I have a caravan bolted on top.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, the sliding seems to be a common feature to all the Honda top boxes.

Technical reason: :confused:

The TA 700 looks far more rugged without the std box. I only fit mine if I have to carry something, like the wife :rolleyes: :iconbiggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
From the Honda brochure

A capacious 45-litre locking top box that mounts on the Varadero’s large, rugged aluminium tail rack. The top box’s new floating mounting system permits a small amount of damped side-to-side movement, which reacts more slowly to sudden changes in direction for improved handling and overall riding control

I guess the TA gets the same thing

The whole thing sounds like ******** to me. I shimmed it up solid as it got looser and looser as the miles passed.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Don't remember any movement on my 700 alp back box, could you glue a rubber packer someware to tighten things up? and yes barley yellow is the fastest colour :happy6:

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I fitted mine, the lateral movement seemed quite large to me and just 'not right'. I added some thin rubber washers to eliminate the movement. That was nearly a year ago and so far no problems.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, mine has the lateral movement. I took a good look at the mounting plate, and it's designed in - the box locks onto the plate solidly enough, but there's a bit of float between the mounting plate and the section that bolts onto the bike. It works well enough in my view - Honda generally know what they're doing...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys , it just seemed odd and design looks as if it is meant to move, seems it is. I will keep an eye on it and as others have done there is the option to add a few washers and make it solid. I will assume Honda meantime would have had an easier / cheaper solid mounting had they though it appropriate.
Always nice to have a bit of confirmation I am not alone. Seems odd not all have movement but earlier type ??

Thanks for replys guys

·
Registered
417 Posts
My TA and my VTEC both have the same mounting plates. I suppose Mr H knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honda box mounted on Honda plate is designed to move a bit on the 700TA...it's very obvious when you take off the box - you can slide the mounting plate from side to side. I agree it seems odd but don't worry - it's supposed to move. If yours doesn't move, it should! Biggest problem I've found is making absolutely sure it's secured before I ride off...it's too easy IMHO to assume it's secure when it isn't. ALWAYS check it carefully! My mounting plate also lost all its plastic screw covers within a couple of months...presumably vibrated off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep sideways movement should be there. Well it is on mine '08 TA700 with Honda topbox. fat-mal:thumbright:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
From the Honda brochure

A capacious 45-litre locking top box that mounts on the Varadero’s large, rugged aluminium tail rack. The top box’s new floating mounting system permits a small amount of damped side-to-side movement, which reacts more slowly to sudden changes in direction for improved handling and overall riding control

I guess the TA gets the same thing

The whole thing sounds like ******** to me. I shimmed it up solid as it got looser and looser as the miles passed.
it is a load of ********. i took all that rubbish off because the topbox makes a noise moving around and mounted it properly. it only improves handling when you take it off and remove 2kg of steelwork off your bike!
they know its a dodgy idea but stubbornly try to make us "ave it!" by putting it on with tamperproof bolts so they they think we cant take it off. bit like a BMW.
(even more ********, the rack is plastic, not alu)

As I said on the Varadero it's designed in. Have a look at http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/varadero/29916-loose-top-box.html#post301414 for a breakdown of all the parts required to make what should be a simple mounting assembly.
i kept all the bits (except the tamperproof bolts H put on to deter home improvements, they all sheared off), so if someone wants to retrofit them they are welcome for a tenner+ postage. but why would you?

·
Registered
417 Posts
it is a load of ********. i took all that rubbish off because the topbox makes a noise moving around and mounted it properly. it only improves handling when you take it off and remove 2kg of steelwork off your bike!
they know its a dodgy idea but stubbornly try to make us "ave it!" by putting it on with tamperproof bolts so they they think we cant take it off. bit like a BMW.
(even more ********, the rack is plastic, not alu)

i kept all the bits (except the tamperproof bolts H put on to deter home improvements, they all sheared off), so if someone wants to retrofit them they are welcome for a tenner+ postage. but why would you?
SteveR will love you buddy PM him hes looking for a mounting plate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
OK , I am now completely happy and I can forget my concerns.

As the majority of the population, even in Scotland, wanted to see 22 blokes in shorts run around together (I still think something a little bit gay about that game), the rain had ceased and the wind had dried up the roads before abating I took the bike out for a little quiet road enjoyment.

If the box has survived the Glenshee road it must be more than secure. If you know this road esp the super bumpy bits just after the Spittal you will know what I mean, esp on a "spirited" run :rolleyes:

Sunday tips
  • Major sporting events keep the masses indoors and provide good opportunities for "spirited" enjoyment :D
  • The A93 could potentially supply buckets of bike spares, including the bolt that secured my exhaust heat shield on (anyone know where to source a replacement that matches the other one rather than the too long bolt and lock nut I have temporarily fitted by the way?) Rumour has it you build a complete KTM by picking up all the bits , or is that just KTM owners I know off?
  • Despite my original thoughts the bike looks damn good complete with top box
  • I am complete amazed half way through first attempt to post this my message vanished??? Sorry if there is a part then full similar message ?? (just about sums up my computer skills though???)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
SteveR will love you buddy PM him hes looking for a mounting plate.
i think hes after the adaptor plate the box clips to? i kept that bit, just got rid of the rubbish inbetween it and the rack

·
TB
166 Posts
i think hes after the adaptor plate the box clips to? i kept that bit, just got rid of the rubbish inbetween it and the rack
Sorry to hijack the thread - for Davsato - I was another of your threads about luggage tie downs on your panniers from last year, did you actually put some hooks or anything on your panniers, if so maybe you could post up a photo or two? Thanks, T :thumbright:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
from last year?

you know how sometimes you get that creepy feeling on the back of your neck someone is watching you?

well, its true.........they are........

ive put some pics in my members gallery for you brownetara, anything else you need you welcome to PM

·
TB
166 Posts
Thanks for that, honest I'm not stalking but i did a search, your thread came up, then I saw your name on that more recent one and thought, why not hijack the thread! Think I'm being a bit dim, but how do i get to look at your gallery?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts