Honda XRV Forum banner

Honda Windscreen

8K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Fruit Loop 
#1 ·
Hi

I have finally purchased a new larger Honda windscreen as I found I was being hammered by the wind with the standard one.

I took it out of the box with the intention of fitting it today however after inscrewing the 4 screws on the windscreen I couldnt seem to get the rubber "plugs" out. I can see the top ones slip out but the bottom ones appear to be stuck and I dont want to pull them too hard incase i damage them.

I also see that the speedo cover has to come off and brackets have to be fittedd etc, etc.

Although practical Im not the most mechanically minded and scared of ending up with a pile of extra bits I wondered if anyone has fitted the tall Honda screen to their 650 transalp and if they could talk me through it. The instructions are not the best abilities.

Cheers :thumbleft:

Steve

#2 ·
hi tboy,

I also see that the speedo cover has to come off and brackets have to be fittedd etc, etc. ???????? dont know what you mean:confused:

I`ve got the tall honda screen and as you say the top 2 fixings are PUSHED through and held by the screws, the bottom 2 are slid into plce and held by screws.

when inserting screen first place btm 2 plugs then slide screen in [some wd40 or silicone lubricating spray helps. Then with screen locate top 2 through fairing and screen then screw all screws in. If you have to remove spray csome lubb into top rubber gromets before removing with long noze pliers.

My screen has a home hade extension:thumbright:

And I have a garmin ram mount sat nav on too:thumbright:

#3 ·
You can either pull the plugs out or push them through.
The bottom two are the hardest, if damaged you can buy a pack of 10 from Halfords. They then just push through the bottom holes and the screws tighten to distort the rubber and grip the screen.

#4 ·
Thanks Guys

That helps somewhat. I will try a little wd40 to get the bottom rubber plugs out. I take it they just push back in when reinstalling the new screen.

The instructions that come with the screen give diagrams that look like I have to take the speedo cover off and install a couple of brackets.

Tramp, I take it you just took the old screen out and slipped the new one into place (so to speak!!):p

I'll give it a try tomorrow since its baltic outside and about to snow... again

#6 ·
when removing the plugs it helps to swist side to side and pull at same time.

ps : I aint an escape artist -yet:p

when pushing screen into place be gentle but forcefull -like the gear stick on a old banger:rolleyes:

its raining and a barmy 7.6 hear:blob6:

#7 ·
The little rubber plugs are called "Well nuts". The easy way to remove them is to put the screw back in a turn or two and use the screw to pull out the well nut. If they are very distorted you should be able to manipulate them more or less back to shape, again by using one of the screws you should be able stretch it back to shape.

When refitting the put the top two well nuts in place and slide the screen in place and tighten the two screws finger tight. Then lubricate the other two well nuts with spit, WD40, silicon spray or whatever - but not too much else it won't grip - and carefully push them in. This is where it helps If you have reshaped them. The washer bit of the well nut should be on the outside og the fairing. The screws should also have a plastic washer but it doesn't really matter. The screws can tightened surprsingly tight. If the well nut starts turning with the screw before it goes tight you should be able to carefully hold it in place with a sharp pointy thing while tghtening the screw some more until it grips. Good luck, oh and you definitely don't need to remove the clocks cowling

#8 ·
Thanks to all for your tips and suggestions. I set of to the garage this afternoon and using a combination of pliers wd40 and a twisting action :toothy6: I managed to free the rubber plugs and the windscreen.

One word of note for anyone doing this. Dont be plonker like me and try to fit the new screen with the top plugs in place as they are pushed through very easily. I have lost one to the internal gubbings of the front faring and despite my efforts have no idea where it has gone.

Anyway the new screen slipped in a treat with no additional brackets required contrary to the instructions that came with the new screen.

#10 ·
yeh looking good , as stumpy says look in the bash plate its were everything ends up:confused::p, or remove the underfairing radiator covers but dont loose those small pesky screws;). handy for giving the radiator a coat of wd40:thumbright:

that garage is too clean and organised:bom:

#12 ·
Magic, I found the rubber stopper in beside the indicator as said by Stumpy. I spent ages looking for it yesterday but found it within 30 seconds today but more importantly it saves me a trip to Halfords. All installed with all screws present and correct.:p

Thanks again guys

#13 ·
Oh my garage is my pride and joy. I like to know where everything is. Soon after moving in I scrounged a couple of units brom the builders and painted the floor as I find it keeps the dust down and is easier to keep clean. Im a bit of an anorak that way but hey I like it and I need somewhere nice for my bike:king:

#15 ·
Unfortunately the weather is really poor here with snow and rain. I'm a fair weather biker and don't intend taking it out until the weather improves. We still have grit covering most roads which has killed the front of my car so I don't intend subjecting my bike to that and the salt that is not being spread.

although more expensive I decided on a Honda screen purely because I wanted it to be in keeping with the rest of the bike. At 6'1" I was getting hammered by the wind and intend doing a bit of travelling this year and wanted to try a bigger screen in the hope that it will reduce this. I will post again when I have tried it out but that might still be a month or two away.

Roll on spring time:toothy4:

#16 ·
I have both Honda screens for my 650TA. I'm still not sure which is best, the small screen looks as though there will be a lot of windblast, but the larger screen seems to reduce the blast but give more windnoise and turbulence around my head (I'm about 5'9"). So I'm still undecided, but I think I'll go back to the smaller screen when/if the warmer weather comes.
Oh, and those wellnuts are a real pain - if they're dry they stick in the holes - if lubricated you can't get a grip to pull them out! - My lost ones usually turn up near the indicators.. I have a long tweezery thing that's good for retrieving then, along with a good torch!
:confused:

#17 ·
If anyone is after a tall screen for their 650 silvers is selling them off for 35 quid, a massive saving on honda costs.

#23 ·
yeeessssss, the language of the large bottle of rose on an empty tum, try google for a translation............................................

#24 ·
Well-nuts. A real pain but I got 'em out, and probably for the last time :D Is this just me or has any of our TA membership experienced this scenario..... I have used the tall windscreen since first buying the bike (650 2000...). I also use a HJC CL-15 helmet, and was getting peeved at the noise even when wearing ear plugs. I switched back to the original, and now enjoy near silence. Body turbulence was minimal even at M-way speeds. Is the tall TA screen a poor design then ?

...and I do apologise for not contributing more, but I'm out riding :thumbup:

#25 ·
Yes the well nuts were a bit of a trial but I have to say the advice I got here was spot on and saved me lots of time and effort.

Having bought a Honda screen I can confirm that it's about £100 but in my experience most of the extras/parts are about £100. I found that I was getting buffeted by the wind with the small screen. Since fitting it I thing the buffeting has been reduced but I have found the wind now buffets me at the sides now although so far I find it better than than the small screen. I wear a Caberg V2X which I find very comfortable but noisy whether the vents are open or not. I have only had it about a year so I'm in no rush to change it yet.

I would be interested to know if there is any add ons that improves the wind resistance.

Tboy

#27 ·
I have found the wind noise very wearing with the standard screen on my 650 Alp (I'm 6 foot) though it eases (less turbuent) if I sit uncomfortably bolt upright. It also seems to direct all the flies on to my visor. It has seemed worse in both those respects than the various naked and fully-faired bikes I've had previously (though that was a while ago, so maybe memory's playing tricks).

I've bought a Honda touring screen from David Silver, but hadn't yet fitted it when I had to take back the Nolan 103 helmet I'd bought at the same time as the bike (because of a minor fault). The shop lent me another helmet (VMAC?), and it absolutely transformed the bike! Much less wind noise, and that that remained was less shrill. The bike's mechanical noise that previously dominated, especially with Nolan visor up, was much reduced - I could even hear the exhaust!

I was a bit reluctant to change back when my helmet was fixed. I guess that it must be something to do with the combination of that screen and that helmet. I'm reluctant to bin the helmet as it wasn't cheap, but probably won't have time to change screens soon. In the meantime I've sort of sidestepped the problem by fitting the ear muff type inserts that came with the Nolan helmet - now I can barely hear a thing, wind or anything else!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.