Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of finding a 1980s XL500R to replace my knackered daily ride.
I have seen a few nice bikes for sale in Germany and a Paris Dakar version which was just outside my budget.
Is there anything I should look for when I am looking for one?
If you have owned one of these ,please share your thoughts about this classic thumper.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
sorry I have no experience of them at all closest thing to them I ever rode were xl 250's and a cl 250 single and I loved them im pretty sure I would love xl 500's but I have it in my head the xl600 would be nicer another 100cc and all . I really love the look of the bikes from that era the dominator don't look a patch but might be more comfortable better wind protection electric start and all how about an xl600 lmt if you could find one very sexy bike maybe import one from the uk I have seen a couple on e bay uk recently or maybe even Italy ?

what you riding these days that it will be replacing ?

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Sexy and desire are very strong in the biking world... Ooh must be a Bonnie, @, Ducati yadda yadda.
You won't choose this, but don't knock it...
An SLR or Vigor.
Both have great torque and typical Honda 650 characteristics.
Very small and the front end looks too small, but great bikes.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a 650 dommie project which is almost done so I now fancy summit else , either the XL500R which is my first choice but I also fancy a XBR 500 but I dont think my old back could handle the cafe racer position.
One thing you must remember chaps is that any bike I import into Denmmark is subject to 180% import tax calculated on the bikes price when it was new whatever it is.
The older the bike ,the less tax we have to pay.
If you get a bike 30 yrs or older its free from the tax.:thumbup:
Its a cXXt of a law but thats Denmark for ya.

$_57 (8).jpg
Summit like this would be cool for when I start college in August..:clown::clown::clown:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I would without hesitating buy a genuine and resonable priced XL600R Paris Dakar in good condition!
Sadly they are either to bad, or if in good shape, to expensive.
Never mind the fact that they were never imported to Sweden.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are sure that they are tax-free after 30 years ....
Then you could also consider this old aunt:

YAMAHAXT550-772_1.jpg
Sexy and fun to ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think from memory the XL 500r was a cross over model to the XL600r, They are a 30+ year old bike, but you don't buy old bikes unless you like to tinker with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I owned one for 6 years, sold it 4 years ago and just bought it back - 1983 XL500.

The engine is pretty much bullet proof. The exhaust collets can work free, always carry an Allen key. Drum brakes, so not ideal but they work OK. Loads of parts available. I have an aftermarket exhaust which is much lighter than the original job.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had forgotten about this thread.
I ended up taking the advice of one of our members and getting a NTV 650 which is a great bike but I dont love it.
My thoughts are still with big singles and my project is almost done and ready to rock but I keep asking myself. "What do you fancy next"?
I decided to get a XL500R tank for my project to see how it looks.
10933900_1023449104341892_3712410107248750519_n.jpg

I am seriously liking the tank and enjoyed a whole day hitting it with a ball pane hammer to make it fit.
The emblems arrived today today and look awesome.
What am I going to do next?.......................open to sensible suggestions but I am thinking twin cylinder bobber for my son when he finally gets fed up of this bike we just bought for him.

$_57.jpg

I hope he dont get bored with it but you know how teenagers are today as compared to what we were like when we were 17 yrs old.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts