1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From the HUBB website:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/humm/

July 28th - 30th 2008

Basics: A two-day, no GPS, orienteering event in the eastern Pyrenees of Catalunya, Spain and Andorra. Test your map reading and navigation skills, find hidden secrets and enjoy the fabulous riding. The roads are amazing, the scenery is breath-taking, and the people are wonderful - so why not come on down with us in 2008?!
For 2008, there will be TWO classes:

1 - Dual-sport off-road, all bikes with off-road pretensions are suitable. The trails are amazing - the reviews from 2007 say it all - see the event report below. For 2008 Austin and Lois have outdone themselves and laid out 69 new markers, more than twice as many as in 2007! Austin was heard to mutter something like "No way is anyone finishing this course early!"

2 - Pavement only, anything will do - Susan and I rode (two up on our ancient R80 G/S) the many well-paved, twisty and fantastic roads in the area for almost 2 weeks, loving every minute. Awesome twisty roads, from first gear slip the clutch hairpins to high speed sweepers, with amazing views, minimal traffic, some roads you'll see one car in 10 minutes or more - and some less than that - roads you dream of...

OFF or ON road, it's the most fun you can have on two wheels ;-)

This event was won by our very own iswooley this year - you can read his excellent report here

I've also added this event in the Calendar here

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
Places for HUMM are apparently going fast so thought it may be wise to bring this to the front!!

If anybody is looking at doing this event please shout as it has to be a team entry, I will be taking the XTZ850rx out to play (and possibly another one!) if anyone is interested to join us please shout soon as the paperwork will be submitted in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Damn this looks good, I'll have to check the work diary tomorrow.

Fantastic location , just a short blast from Santander

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I will be riding in the Pyrekneesup event the week before :p , I'd like to stay on to do this as well but cannot get enough time off work :sad3:

·
2,075 Posts
just been looking at ferry costs for the HUMM.... if its any help to anyone.

Plymouth to Santander, Sun 27 Jul 2008 16:00 (Vessel is PONT AVEN)
Santander to Plymouth, Thur 31 Jul 2008 15:00 (Vessel is PONT AVEN)
recliner seat both ways £198 with a road run of 720kms (can be dropped to 620kms if the slower mountain route is used!)

the dates on offer from Brittany Ferries arent really helpfull as they dont leave a great deal of 'travel' time betwen event start or event end so i also checked the Portsmouth to St Malo route wich is a little more flexable.

Portsmouth to St Malo, Sat 26 Jul 2008 20:30 (Vessel is BRETAGNE)
St Malo to Portsmouth, Fri 1 Aug 2008 10:45 (Vessel is BRETAGNE)
recliner seat both ways £127 with a road run of 950kms
(a 4 berth cabin on this run is cheap and works out at £15 pp each way)

all based on 1 bike and 1 rider.

·
2,075 Posts
OK this how things stand at the minute....

Crossing by
SpeedFerries’ new catamaran which makes the crossing in just 50 minutes
Using a flex ticket £60 (bike and 2 passengers) Return.

Speed ferries
25.7.2008 @14:20 –
Dover / Boulogne with Fast Ferry
Arriving 25.7.2008 @16:10

Road run of 1200kms to site
0000> Boulogne
>375> Nantes
>730> Bordeaux
>987> Pau
>1120> Llavorsi

HUMM event 28th/29th/30th July 2008 entry £110 per person

Local camping
25th @ Caen
26th @ Niort
27th @ Mont-De-Marsain or Llavorsi
28th @ Llavorsi
29th @ Llavorsi
30th @ Llavorsi
31st @ Mont-De-Marsain or Llavorsi
1st @ Niort
2nd @ Caen

3.8.2008 @10:00 –
Boulogne / Dover with Fast Ferry
Arriving 3.8.2008 @09:50

This not the fastest of routes, and i have allowed an extra day both ways this is simply to get a chance to see some of France on route. Also because of the flex ticket an earlier ferry on return can be taken if required.

I'm expecting to put in my entry just before Christmas, It would be nice to have a group so its open to anyone else if not we will just enter a second bike ourself to make up the team.

If anyone wants more info just pm me.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
This is the route I took in 2006.

LeHavre - Lisieux -Allencon - Le Mans - Le Lude - Noyant - Borguueil - Loudun - Poitiers - Angouleme(stop o/night). St. Aigulin - Montpon - Duras - Marmande - Nerac - Condom(hee hee) - Lannemezan - Montrejeau - Fos, Spain (Hurrah) Vielha - Llavorsi.

All backroads apart fron one dual-carriageway, bloody great stuff :tongue1:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm keen!!! I met up with Austin and Gerald Vince today and I'm totally sold on the idea. My buddy Billy Ward from bike Truck.com who took my bike down to Malaga earlier this year can offer a bike delivery solution for those not wanting to ride down or don't have time. He can take bikes down for a similar cost to what it will cost to take the ferry and then add up all the costs of fuel and accomodation on route bike wear and tear etc. It can make a lot of sense if you don't have the time. I'm keen on it. For those interested in arriving via easyjet whilst your bike gets sent down have a chat with Billy and tell him Jon sent ya. [email protected]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlm6eBLjPSM

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Count me in!

I finally pulled my finger out and have signed up for this year's event. :thumbright: Will be teaming up with Ian again, but as it's a midweek affair will be taking the whole week off for a bit of Pyrenean trail bashing. :toothy7:

How many others will be there?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
HUMM '08 pack arrives!

The map pack and checkpoint book arrived yesterday. 61 checks this year. I haven't plotted them out yet, but from the descriptions it looks trickier than last year. We've also moved a map to the south west, so new areas to explore! :thumbright:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im going down with the girlfriend and 2 other couples....treating it as a bit of a trail riding holiday.
We are taking a big van and a trailer down with 6 bikes...(anyone aware of any deals on ferries etc?)
I suspect the girlies will quit after lunch and retire to the pool and let us rufty tufty chaps go and take on the big point scoring checks in the afternoon.
Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tall John and myself have entered. got the map and book last week looks like its going to be a lot of fun, I will be videoing it so if it comes out and I have some good footage I’ll put it on my Utube page.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is a bit of a long shot and a bit cheeky, but is anybody taking there bike down there in a van, that live near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, if so would you have room for my rear wheel, if you have I can ride down there on my road tyre, I would be happy to donate something to your drinking fund if you can help me

·
Registered
17 Posts
We can take your wheel..... and even bring it back!
Can you get it to Oakley.... near Thame..... the week before?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts