Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Honda Transalp XL 650v

Please can someone tell me where the horns located as I don't wanna pull off the front needlessly and it's not somewhere in plain sight.
Also is there a way to reduce the amount of sag I get and with a pillion I feel we squash the bike.
Is that what the adjustment hole is in the left side panel?
Same with the forks they feel very soft/easy to compress. Overall I like the softer suspension just not the amount of sag.
Sorry for random questions 馃き
PS it it difficult to buy and fit a new sender unit for my tank as the guage tells lies and says it's full when it's not. I'm having to reset my tripometer each fill up and re fill every hundred miles or so. 馃え

Registered
Bookmark this page >

Horn location is on the front of the frame - toot! toot!

Yes there is access for the rear shock preload

As for forks - might be time for a rebuild / service with upgraded springs and fluid change after a couple of decades

As for the fuel gauge they all show full and then shows decreasing level after about a 100 miles or so. Your tactic of using the tripmeter is what I also do and between them both I've never accidently run out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Surely though we shouldn't have to fill up every 100 miles, that's not very many miles.
Thanks for the horn location, ironically I have 2 bikes and both bikes horns packed in at the same time, bandit was just a connection then when I turned my attention to the Transalp I couldn't even find the bloody thing (it may of fell off 馃槀馃槀)
So the preload adjustment (apologies I've asked about this before) will reduce the amount of sag when we get on... effectively keeping the seat higher..I insert a screwdriver and turn towards hard ?
I don't get the fuel guage not moving till after say 100 miles @ 40 to the gallon we should have an 180 tank range, and why no reserve? 馃槀

Registered
Surely though we shouldn't have to fill up every 100 miles, that's not very many miles.
I fill up my 01 TA every 150 miles (around town) / 175鈥200 miles open road riding.

and why no reserve?
Cos its a new fangled automatic vacuum tap.

If you're worrried about precise range then strap a 5L fuel can on and see how far you can get before running empty using a combo of fuel gauge and tripmeter.

Registered
Bookmark this page >

As for the fuel gauge they all show full and then shows decreasing level after about a 100 miles or so. Your tactic of using the tripmeter is what I also do and between them both I've never accidently run out.
Mine shows full all the time, it's knakered! 馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿 Sorry not helpfull

Registered
Adjusting peload is a ball ache;
Remove rhs panel, remove battery cover & gubbins, remove battery, remove battery tray then hammer & drift the Collars to suit.
The good side is once a good setting is found, it copes with most stuff ok.
The hole on the left is for compression damping. It seems to make scratt all difference solo but screwing it in helps stability when 2up/loaded.

Add spacers above the springs on the forks 1/2" works for me.
I wonder is it has been softened/lowered in the past for a shorty?

The fuel gauges are normally quite accurate (for the 2nd half of the tank), poor connection of dodgy sender. You should be able to get 200 (or close to) miles to a tank

Horn should be below the lh rad

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Registered
I fitted spring preload caps to the forks of my '03 650. They weren't expensive.
What was said earlier about the rear preload being a pain to adjust is true, I adjusted mine years ago and haven't gone near it since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts