Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Anyone else going to the Hostel at Kirkby Stephen?

Edging towards taking the plunge and getting a tent but would consider going to the Hostel if a few others are going.

Spoke to Denise today and she says there are 10 available beds at the moment and could place bikers together in a 4,6 or 8 bunk room.

Told her about the XRV National rally so mention the forum if you book direct with her.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Hi all,
Anyone else going to the Hostel at Kirkby Stephen?

Edging towards taking the plunge and getting a tent but would consider going to the Hostel if a few others are going.

Spoke to Denise today and she says there are 10 available beds at the moment and could place bikers together in a 4,6 or 8 bunk room.

Told her about the XRV National rally so mention the forum if you book direct with her.
Go and get the tent. You would be missing out on a lot of fun and strange sights on the campsite

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go and get the tent. You would be missing out on a lot of fun and strange sights on the campsite
What features would you look for in a tent?
A lot of people at Austins adventure in Galloway seem to have gone for Vango's.
ps bottom end (crap to quote a previous thread) of the market.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You won't go far wrong with a Vango Omega 250/350, I have 2 Vango's, just get at least 3000HH. Buy 1 for the national, if it leaks - take it back,

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Ever thought of going to the National in a car or camper van & sleeping inside it ?

Others have in the past have done the above.

Choice of comfy bed or tent/bivvy bag "Mmmmmmm difficult decision".

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
What features would you look for in a tent?
A lot of people at Austins adventure in Galloway seem to have gone for Vango's.
ps bottom end (crap to quote a previous thread) of the market.
Depends really what you want to do.
You planing to go camping a lot or maybe twice a year?
You planning to use it a lot its worth spending money on a decent tent
If you only go twice a year a cheaper one would do I guess

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Get yourself a tent Dougie... After sleeping in the bunkhouse at Galloway I've realised I am more comfortable on my double airbed than the little beds in a bunkhouse.

The space is nice, i.e. for all your stuff, kitchen and toilet readily available etc but at the national it's a lot more fun being with the crowd in the field :thumbup:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Cheap but what features of a decent tent would be your priority?
For one person plus gear you really need a 2 man tent, light(ish) weight and small pack size to carry on the bike. I have a Vango Halo 200 and it is just the job for me, 2 doors, 2 small porches,cost somewhere around £100 don't remember exactly how much. In the past I have had a few Vango tents and had no problems with them.
Then you will need a decent sleeping bag, good quality sleeping mat and a head torch to see what's what in the dark. :iconbiggrin:

Andy.

Reactions: Dougie

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Get yourself a tent Dougie... After sleeping in the bunkhouse at Galloway I've realised I am more comfortable on my double airbed than the little beds in a bunkhouse.

:thumbup:
Good airbed and a decent size tent are the two vital necessities for camping for those of a more "delicate" disposition and a liking of civilised level of comfort, a "tarp and bivvy bag" are for scouts and squaddies ;)

Always go at least one size bigger than the tent is sold as being suitable for, even better on a bike, is a 3 man with one user...* :D

* Always nice if you have room for a "companion" that you may meet. Remember the Golden Rule. What happens on Holiday, stays on holiday....mostly :D

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Good airbed and a decent size tent are the two vital necessities for camping for those of a more "delicate" disposition and a liking of civilised level of comfort, a "tarp and bivvy bag" are for scouts and squaddies ;)

Always go at least one size bigger than the tent is sold as being suitable for, even better on a bike, is a 3 man with one user...* :D

* Always nice if you have room for a "companion" that you may meet. Remember the Golden Rule. What happens on Holiday, stays on holiday....mostly :D
Defo.

Forget sleeping mats, they're ****e, get yourself a nice airbed, 10 times more comfort.

If you're going to spend around the £100 mark then you might want to consider what I've got which is a Khyam rapidex pole tent, highlander I think. No fekkin about with tent poles, just click and it's up, spot on.

Don't buy a pop-up tent, I found out on the IOM that 1. they aren't as big as you think and 2. they ain't waterproof!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
No, it looks utter ****e.

Get yourself down to go-outdoors, you can pick up a double airbed for a tenner, single even cheaper. :thumbup:
And who am I to argue with such an authoritive figure, especially when he is right (probably....!) Tesco is about the cheapest place for reasonable airbeds, 5-6 quid for a single earlier in the year. A fiver for a 12v inflator or you will be able to borrow one at the National, I am sure.

I agree that the Khyam Highlander is a greattent, and IMO easier to manage than the Khyam Biker. BUT, like the Vangos you mentioned, the Biker has a big porch... which is VERY nice to have.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
About those Tesco airbeds... The one I bought back in Dartmoor had a little paper note stuck in the bottom of the box, that it was only good for 75 kg max. As I promptly found out that same night. Piece of rubbish that was.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Khyam Biker - a very roomy and useful tent - a bit bigger and heavier to carry but worth it. I had a deal on mine a few years ago for £80.

If you want real comfort get a HiGear Comfort Mat from Go Outdoors. They are £79 but were discounted to £49 recently / it really is the most comfortable self inflating mat I have cone across especially for heavy guys like me.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Well by sheer coincidence I am selling some of my camping gear. All of it in very good nick.
Selling a 3man Coleman Phad 3 and some thermarest mats. One the fat camping one and the other the normal trail light.
It could be delivered to the national:angel9:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
The tent:
Coleman Phad 3
about 3kg
packs down real small
supposed to be a 3 man,its ok for 2 and very god for 1 man

Thermarest

1 - 20 of 43 Posts