Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my 5th RD07 and have done MANY, MANY miles touring. During the ownership of these bikes I have tryed different sprocket size combos to allter the xrv´s gearing.

If anyone is intrested here are my 2 cents on getting the most out of the old girl. :D

To start of the OEM combo for the RD07 is a 16t front and a 45t rear. With that combo the bike just never seems to be in the right rpm range & motorway touring 110kph is torture compared to the bigger bmw´s.

I like the following combo:

Honda OEM rubber 17t front
JT sprockets 43t rear

This lets me cruize 100kph(60mph) @ 4000rpm(about 900rpm lower than oem) but it allso makes the bike much faster in the twisties. How is that possible you ask? :smile:

Well! when you make every gear !allot! longer you can stay in a lower gear and get faster pickup.

With 16t/45t I´m constantly shifting betwean 4th and 5th gear in the twisties. With 17t/43t I can run in 4th all day its so nice!

I allso love this combo for dirt roads, you can keep it in 2;nd and 3;rd without redlining it and get massive dirt ripping tourqe.

I feal NO difference in the speed and power of the bike & it´s sooooo smooth =)

I use this combo instead of 16t/40t since i can easly swap the 17t for a 16t if i want to do really slow technical offroad days and get nearly the oem settup....

Here are the parts I used if you want to try this amazing combo. AND REMEMBER ALLWAYS USE A HONDA OEM FRONT SPROCKET. I learned the hard way and had to change the output shaft =(

JT Rear Sprocket 43 Teeth for Africa Twin RD04/07/07A - Rugged Roads

OEM Honda Front Drive Sprocket (17T) for RD04/07/07A - Rugged Roads

If you are worried about loosing hooligan power with this setup you can check out my youtube. I have NO problem wheeling the africa with this setup.
It´s me in the clip on my #4 africa R.I.P. it was allso running 17t/43t. :thumbright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hil3mBiuCY

Wheelies start @ 0:41 =)

·
Registered
14 Posts
How's the clearance on the front sprocket? Is this now not coming very close to the gear change lever?
Since i'm not a changing front sprocket kinda guy, isn't it better to stay with the 16 front and going 40 on the rear?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope! the 17t is perfect. If you go 16t 40t you will have to get a shorter chain. Maybe it will be ok fora a few miles if the chain is new but i am @ position 28 on the chain tentioner and the chain is new (with 17t,43t) you would probably be allmost all the way out with a 16/40...

The clearance is only a few mm´s. But after 10000km´s+ running 17t I have never sean any skratches on the gearshaft so it´s hair close but it wont touch it.

I have not tryed to put the front sprocket cover on with 17t maybe it wont fit? I will try to put the cover on this weakend and report back on that.

But changing to the 17/43 from the 16/45 that was on the bike when I bought it, MAN what a diference! It´s so smooth and it takes 0,56l/10km´s when riding HARD in the twisties runing in 4th gear and really pushing the bike. Allso did a few km´s dirt that day. On tour I would imagine it can go just under 0,5l/10km´s loaded but ridden "softer" The bike is in great condition and has an empty race can, new airfilter and allways run on 98 octance fuel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use a 17 tooth front off the vt500 with the standard 45 rear, D I D gold chain, did 18k with no adjustment (scottoiler) it knocks 500 rpm off at 80 mph, also it keeps the chain of the swing arm slipper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
interesting read......Im just looking into changing my set up from the standard 16/45 as I want to drop the rpm on the motorways, as I like to run at about 75mph:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did the front sprocket cover fit with 17/43 setup ?

Thinking of trying your suggested 17/43 setup but i want the sprocket cover on :thumbup:

Cheers
Kasper Winding

·
Registered
497 Posts
The front cover fits with 17 front & standard rear no problem

Reactions: alias and mrmrva
1 - 20 of 23 Posts