Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a US Transalp with Africa Twin parts on it. I'm pretty sure the headlights came from an RD04 or RD07. I think these are Euro-spec headlights. Here's what's on each lens:

Right: Stanley D01-1981 (02083R20).
Left: Stanley 5900 (0240R20), has a "city light" mini bulb in it.

Here's a picture, if it helps.

Can anyone tell me how these lights are supposed to be configured? Is the right lamp supposed to be high-beam only? Should the left lamp turn off with the high beam, or do both lamps light on high beam?

Incidentally, I'm considering buying some Cibie or Hella Euro-spec replacements because the light pattern is pretty disappointing. The original Transalp headlight had a better beam pattern. Any advice on that front would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
From the picture, it looks like those have H4 bulbs in them. And they should be pretty good. Low beams on both and high beams on both. When the high beams are on, the low beams are off. Except when you press on the "passing" button located on the front of the left switchgear. Then low and highs are used together.

Remove the bulbs and make sure they are H4 and not the RD03 and early RD04 35w shitty bulbs. Jut to make sure...

Hopefully, you don't have those (yellow or clear)

Those H4 are better

You can't just change the reflectors, you must swap their base too. It seems the early Honda Fireblade has the same headlamps

Lee

·
Registered
552 Posts
It looks like lamps on my RD04, can check for sure tomorrow. Right is only for highbeam, both lamps are on when high beam is turned.

EDIT: Since lenses are different only left is for low beam. Models for some countries had identical lenses in which case both are for low beam.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It looks like lamps on my RD04, can check for sure tomorrow. Right is only for highbeam, both lamps are on when high beam is turned.

EDIT: Since lenses are different only left is for low beam. Models for some countries had identical lenses in which case both are for low beam.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/125609-another-rd03-resto-11.html#post1119953

My RD03 with RD07 headlamps. Low beams on both. High beams on both. I am using a relay for lows, and another for highs. The harness behind the instruments use the white wire for lows and the blue wire for highs. Use them to trigger the relays and save the main harness from any possible meltdown. ;-)

Also if you are tempted to fit HID H4 bulbs, don't. I tried. The pattern is pretty shitty. About the same can be said for LED H4 bulbs. The solution is to fit some Halogen H4 bulbs in there and use auxiliary lamps (HID or LED).

Low beams

high beams

And I fitted LED city lights. In my RD07 Greece-sourced headlamps, there's a city lamp in each reflector.

Old incandescent bulbs on the right. LED on the left.

New LED bulbs on both sides

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was thinking of fitting HID projectors but but gave up in the end as it is not quite legal. Installed a switch so I can use both for low beam if I want to. Not the most ideal light pattern but no one ever flashed at me so it seems it doesn't blind incoming drivers. Good idea on using relays btw.

Just went outside and took a pic, same numbers as jfitzsimons

20150930_232512.jpg

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The H4 bulbs have high and low filaments. Maybe some countries have restrictions on how they are used. But for best lighting, why not use all these bulbs have to offer? ;-)

Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Comparing my picture to mrmrva's, mine looked kind of foggy. So did what I could to clean and polish them. The reflectors had some crud on them, and both lenses had a foggy residue on the interior. The right bulb had a bit of rust near its base, too. Here's a picture after cleaning:

The bulbs are both H4, but they're mismatched. The high/low lamp had the weird Philips bulb with some partial blue coating. I'll probably order some Osram or Narva bulbs next.

Once I get the bike back together, if the headlights are still disappointing, then I'll look at Cibie, Hella, or Candlepower replacement lamps. I found this thread on swapping out lamp housings.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Philips did some brighter bulbs with thinner filaments which where quite good but had a shorter life. Maybe it's one of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts