Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I need some more help please?

Due to my 28" inside leg I need to lower the rear end. I have seen lowering kits for the RD08 but not the 02.

Can I lower it with the dog bone links, or a DIY version because I love cheap fixes.

The other option is to cut and lower the seat height as my bike is a bit of a mix between scrambler and shit kicker. Chopping the frame wouldn't bother me but I would need to get the welding done by someone else, I'm really bad at it and wouldn't trust myself to weld a frame let alone my own.

Cheers.

Ian.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i would have thought the links on an 02 would be the same as the 08, just the shocks were a different length. some one will come along soon and confirm or correct. what about looking for a different length shock? or unwinding the pre-load? will be a bit boingy boingy though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The kits I've seen seem to raise the mounting point at the top of the shock. Although I've had a few bikes over the years, admittedly this is the first with a mono shock so I'm not sure how it works with the links.

As for lowering the pre-load, I've tried that and I'm too heavy. The bloody thing bounced around like mad, as I'm quite heavy for a short fella.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You can't just fit "dogbones" like on many bikes because the NX doesn't have them. More specifically the dogbone is part of a casting which incorporates the bearing sleeve which pivots in the frame.
The usual route is just to back off the preload on the rear shock and drop the forks through the yokes as far as they will go before hitting the handlebars.
Alternatively seek out a shorter rear shock?

Reactions: ian6760

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sounds like your shock is blown if its bouncing, the preload should have no effect on the shock rebound and compression.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info guys.

I am confident that the shock is still good. I did wind down the preload to lower it but I prefer a firmer ride so wound it back up again. Maybe bouncing was the wrong description, too soft for my liking would have been a better way of describing it.

I'll try backing off the spring and upping the rebound to see how that is.

Although I don't recall the brand of the shock I remember the previous owner telling me he had spent a considerable amount of money on it so it would be a shame to not keep it.

The overall plan is to make a scramble that out of it so chopping up in the sub frame to level it out wouldn't be the end of the world as it will be happening sooner or later.

Thanks for the help.

Ian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts