Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The neutral light comes on every time I pull the clutch in... it does light and stay on when in neutral, anyone know if this is a common problem or is it a case of new neutral switch?

As for the fan.. I've never heard it come on and the temperature guage doesn't appear to do anything.. is this likely to just be the thermostat? Any ideas?

These are the last two problems with my bike so I'd like to get them sorted :D once these are done it's alll suppperrr! :sunny:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Does it light when in neutral with the clutch out? If so then the gearbox switch is fine. Assuming the AT is the same as most other bikes there is a complicated arrangement of neutral light, side stand and clutch that stops you starting the bike under certain conditions. Part of this circuit is a diode pack and this going short circuit could well cause the symptoms you describe.

As I say I don't have a drawing but maybe someone who has could see what the symptoms the diode pack failing would cause. Or you could just take it out and test it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it light when in neutral with the clutch out? If so then the gearbox switch is fine. Assuming the AT is the same as most other bikes there is a complicated arrangement of neutral light, side stand and clutch that stops you starting the bike under certain conditions. Part of this circuit is a diode pack and this going short circuit could well cause the symptoms you describe.

As I say I don't have a drawing but maybe someone who has could see what the symptoms the diode pack failing would cause. Or you could just take it out and test it.
Yes neutral light stays on when bike is in neutral and clutch out.

The sidestand switch appears to work fine as it won't start with stand down or in gear.

Everything seems to work properly, just the light comes on when I pull the clutch in when in gear and then goes off again when I let clutch out.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My fan never comes on, the bike always looks like its running cold i have been told by many AT owners this is normal. If i leave the bike ticking over for 5 or 10 minutes the temperature gauge does go up and the fan comes on at about 3/4 the way up. If you just want to test the fan then short the cable going to the fan switch on the radiator to a clean metal part of the bike (Earth or ground) this should bring the fan on
As for the neutral light again the switch for this just grounds the neutral cable for the light to earth.
there is a diode which the cable for the neutral switch and clutch switch go to that could be breaking down but could be just an earth fault try cleaning all the connectors on the clutch switch and the diode first earth faults can be difficult to find.
By the way i have no idea where this diode is located good luck:thumbright:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I've just checked the varadero diagram I have and the diode going would cause the exact symptom you have.

The other option is the diode lives in the fuse box and is the same size and looks similar to a fuse. If someone has actually replaced it with a fuse it will have the same effect.

Get a meter and test it out

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh I've heard of this diode before, possibly ridiculouly expensive too if I'm right?

I'll have a look tomorrow and see if its there, or replaced with fuse etc - I believe simply turning it around may sometimes cure the problem, but might be wrong!

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Mine runs cold too.

You can check the thermostat by taking it out, check that it´s closed then chuck it in a pan of boiling water. You should see it move.

As for the fan - there is one wire (live) going to the fan switch. A second wire (earth) goes from the top area of the radiator back into the loom. Check that this wire isn´t broken (mine was) as this will stop the fan coming on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everything seems to work properly, just the light comes on when I pull the clutch in when in gear and then goes off again when I let clutch out.[/QUOTE]
im having the same problem,was it the diode in the end? or something else?,and yeah its takes a while for the bike to get up to temp for the fan to kick in,as the lads said its just past half way on the gauge :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I had these symptoms on my RD04 when I bought it.

It turned out to be the plug in diode (located under the tank on the left frame rail on the RD04) and changing it cured the problem.

You can get secondhand ones from breakers, but Wemoto sell them new for £16, although they refer to them as "rectifiers" when they are in fact diodes.

HERE

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The best bit is, you've come back and told us (which some people don't bother doing) and it really helps the thread, and people suffering the same symptoms in the future.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
and a very happy christmas to you to,glad thats sorted,me bro has the same bike just switched the two n happy days,problem detected,thanks again for the help

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
And love your new avatar Bob.....

I aim to please Kenny! :thumbup:

Have a great Christmas down there in Kiwiland mate, and please give my old mate Burt Munro a pat on the back if you run into him on the beach :p

Regards

Bob :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts