Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you.....

A/ Get the big Dero on to it's main stand without having a heart attack or a hernia?

Got a second hand 05 VA Dero which came complete with the Honda main stand and topbox plus panniers. I want to lubricate/ adjust the rear chain without having to roll it backwards and forwards each time.

B/ How do you remove the panniers?

Removing the top box is easy it's the same as Givi, but the panniers? Help!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi
I am based in Derby City Centre, have a Varadero too if you want me to show/help you?
Mine has the Honda centre stand too, dont find it too bad personally? As for the panniers, not had mine fitted to the bike since last summer, they are curently in the loft. Happy to get one out and refresh my memory, then i can post back here how to do it.
Cheers
Simon

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Centre stand. Is the bike lowered? If so its going to be difficult. If not then it's technique and practice. I had an 07 vara with the Honda stand. IIRC it was a bit more difficult than some but not that hard. My current BMW gsa12 is very easy to get on the stand.

My technique is right foot on the stand's lever to get it to the floor followed by a little shuffle that gets most of my foot on the lever. At this point you should be able to let go of the bike and it will stay firmly upright on two wheels and two stand legs. Then, left hand on left handlebar and right hand on a pannier frame, seat sub frame, or somewhere strong about two thirds or three quarters down the bike. Bend you right knee slightly, lean back a bit then put all your weight on your right foot, and at the same time straighten your leg causing you to lift with your right hand and pull back with your left. Momentum is your friend here and once it starts moving keep up the pressure but most of the effort comes from your right leg so keep a bit of bend in your knee in reserve.

Good luck.

Panniers. I probably can't help but which panniers?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Forget trying to heave the bike backwards onto the stand just just put your foot on the stand, hand on the handle bars, other hand on the pinion handle ,push down with your foot and and just stand up straight .
I've never had trouble putting the vara on its main stand, I don't understand why peeps have trouble doing it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Forget trying to heave the bike backwards onto the stand just just put your foot on the stand, hand on the handle bars, other hand on the pinion handle ,push down with your foot and and just stand up straight .
I've never had trouble putting the vara on its main stand, I don't understand why peeps have trouble doing it.
+ 1 so long as you push foot down and pull right hand up (pillion handle, panniers frames easier for me as I have Trax boxes) one move and the bike goes up on the stand. If you are fully loaded then it's a different ball game......

Reactions: oldman59

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
going by your user name your no spring chicken and as the years go by we are not as strong as we used to be a lot of us bikes have had broken bones in crashes and pulling and dragging big lumps of bikes on the center stand is not as easy as for every one .

one bloke on hear suggested placing a piece of 2 by 4 timber right in front of the back wheel then ride the bike up on it . this will make it easier to pull up on the centre stand then kick or hammer out the lump of timber . it works on an Africa twin and may well on the varadero . I got givi panniers they are easy take off but I don't know how the hell id get my little transalp 600 on the center stand with them fitted as it is .

my woman gives me a hand to pull the transalp up on the center stand if shes near by . takes all the grunting and swearing out of it its a bit stiff but I like that it don't rattle and bang up and down like they do on some other bikes I have had . panniers are very handy but a pain for working on or cleaning a bike if hard to remove .

when getting the bike serviced ask the mechanic to give you a demo on how to remove the panniers . a scottoiler if you don't have one fitted will make life a lot easyer on you not cheap to buy but easy to fit if you have basic mechanical knowledge and money well spent .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a lifting handle in the middle on left of bike( in grey trim through triangular hole)
I welded and painted on mine but s w motec make one for around £29.that clamps to frame.
My method.
Left hand on bar grip right hand on lift handle .
Push bike backwards to just start moving them push down centre stand with right foot slightly lifting with right hand.
Using rear momentum and pushing down stand and lifting handle bike pops up.
Mine has a new hagon rear shock so sits very tall.so does not take much to lift.
With old shock and bike sitting low it had to lift at lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found out how to remove the Honda panniers, dead simple.

1. Unlock pannier
2. Lift handle
3. Pull pannier up and towards you
4. Off it comes

Just wish I could get it onto the main stand as easily.....

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Your only 1 year older than me and I have no trouble so I don't think age comes into it, it's more of a technique.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
+1 what Austin says, momentum is your friend. Don't pull it up a little, pause and then pull it the rest of the way. Pull it up from rest in one smooth flow.

Or swear at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts