Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Thinking of buying a XR250 (not sure if its a xr250r or xr250l). Its currently unregistered and used for off-roading only. If it is the xr250r, is it possible to make it road legal? A conversion kit?

Thanks

Billy :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue, I got a BSA B50MX road legal with an age related plate.

If you don't want it reg'd as a 10 plate you may need to get some evidence of build date from an owners club or something.

You shouldn't need lights, reflector, etc for a daylight only MoT, just a matter of sticking some road legal tyres on it and a compliant exhaust and popping down to your MoT station and getting a pass cert, then some insurance, and off to the DVLA office for an inspection.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hello Folks,

Thinking of buying a XR250 (not sure if its a xr250r or xr250l). Its currently unregistered and used for off-roading only. If it is the xr250r, is it possible to make it road legal? A conversion kit?

Thanks

Billy :)
To my knoledge all xr250/400 were road legal, if it's just unregistered and used for field work i would check to see if it's stolen

·
Snotty lane fan!
160 Posts
Make sure the frame number is visible, then most places can give you an age related document (as will Honda). With this, an MOT and insurance (on the frame number) off to your local DVLA office with £80; they may want to see the bike so you'll have to trailer / van it in. Done it a few times now. Remember FRAME NUMBER!;)

MOT wise ask your local MOT station as everyone's opinion varies, a 'Daylight' MOT being the easiest. You wont need a 'Kit' just a bit of common sense.

Good luck and nice to know your getting it back on the road.

Do listen to previous advice as 'Field bike' usually means 'Nicked' bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, bluestoesonnose, jasonbc, and stretchy for the advice!

Cheers

Billy

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
To my knoledge all xr250/400 were road legal, if it's just unregistered and used for field work i would check to see if it's stolen
As I started to read the post my immediate thought was that this bike sounds as though it a hot bike...as has been said most XRs are registered for at least green laning if not enduro racing, where the bike has to be capable of being used on the road...so a registration would be needed. If the one that you're contemplating has no documentation & you buy the bike, if the DVLA get a sniff that it's stolen then you will lose the bike...& your money. So be very wary.

Do you know a mate who's a copper who'd go along with you to have a look? If it was at all suspicious he/she could report back to someone that there may be more to the seller than meets the eye...just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts