Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an intermittent starting problem on the Varadero for a couple of weeks, can't complain it the bikes first fault in 10 years.

Sometimes it would start ok othertimes you couldn't reset the safety circuit. Metered the sidestand switched last weekend one minute fine next minute i got some strange resistances, so ordered a new switch at £49 fitted it this morning no better same problem. Checked clutch switch resistances were fine, metered the loom between switches again resistances fine. Gave up for a bit and went to bandit country to see the outlaws new kitchen got home noticed my audicator wasn't working metered the kill switch and found the fault poor contacts........
Cleaned them then WD40 switch is like new, now i feel stupid at buying a switch that i'm not 100% certain was required, still i have a spare should i need it:mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Never mind mate, I hate electrical faults, they're so hard to pin down some times.
At least you've got the problem sorted! Nothing incompetant about being able to trace and fix an electrical fault, well done. :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never mind mate, I hate electrical faults, they're so hard to pin down some times.
At least you've got the problem sorted! Nothing incompetant about being able to trace and fix an electrical fault, well done. :thumbup:
Thanks for those words, just seemed a bit of a drama and expense when a squirt of wd solved the problem. Guess winter riding and wet cleaning is begining to catch up

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Just as Jim says --- electrical faults , don't ya just luv em :confused:

On the way to Piel with Raymo, got caught in torrential rain on the way down, indicators packed in on the motorway :confused:
Once dried out, ok again, never happened since :thumbup: I have immersed in wd40 and hoping a re occurrence will not happen :D
Bit worrying all the same, not being able to diagnose the exact failure

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I love that Kill switch fault.
I have spent too many hours over the years going over the bike trying to find the reason for it not starting only to find the Kill switch to be the cause, for one reason or another.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have spent too many hours over the years going over the bike trying to find the reason for it not starting only to find the Kill switch to be the cause, for one reason or another.
All things considered, I'm glad it's there!!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
And who hasn't been sat at the side of a road kicking hell out of a kickstart or shurning over the starter motor, wondering why the damned thing will not start.... then looks down and se the kill switch has been toggled by a passerby...AAAAARGH!

Or the almost as stupid trick, of wondering why the Zumo had packed up.... checked fuses, checked connection at battery, looked for a pinched cable and then I got a multimeter to start and check all the circuits to find that I had pulled the plug out of the cradle a few weeks previously to cut the feed to prevent the pins corroding and had forgotten what I had done.... AAAARGH!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts