Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up this morning to find the cover on my bike was off and it has acquired two flat tyres!

Im thinking that some yobs must have come into the garden, to try and nick it, maybe saw there was a massive chain around the lot and just let the tyres down instead.

My only worry now is that they will come back with some big tools and have it away. :angry4: or you think they were just having a “laugh” and let them down for the fun of it? I can see that if maybe its on the street and can normally be accounted for by drunken idiots on the way back from a pub, but to actually go into someone’s garden is a bit different.

How legal do you think setting up this trip wire would be?!

Alarm trip mine (12g) - Airsoft Guns, Two-tone Airsoft Guns, Airsoft Shop

Basically takes a 12 bore blank cartridge, if they set it off it would a) scare the #!$* out of them and b) would wake me up

The only problem is that I am currently in an attached, so not sure if there is any laws on setting off blanks close to other peoples houses?

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Woke up this morning to find the cover on my bike was off and it has acquired two flat tyres!

Im thinking that some yobs must have come into the garden, to try and nick it, maybe saw there was a massive chain around the lot and just let the tyres down instead.

My only worry now is that they will come back with some big tools and have it away. :angry4: or you think they were just having a “laugh” and let them down for the fun of it? I can see that if maybe its on the street and can normally be accounted for by drunken idiots on the way back from a pub, but to actually go into someone’s garden is a bit different.

How legal do you think setting up this trip wire would be?!

Alarm trip mine (12g) - Airsoft Guns, Two-tone Airsoft Guns, Airsoft Shop

Basically takes a 12 bore blank cartridge, if they set it off it would a) scare the #!$* out of them and b) would wake me up

The only problem is that I am currently in an attached, so not sure if there is any laws on setting off blanks close to other peoples houses?
brilliant!!

i would have no quarms in trying this out... but becuase of its size, i would be inclined to give it a go... the only thing is is a fox or something trips it... after a while it would piss off your neighbours...

could you not just put a gate up ??

keep us updated on how you get on..

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
perfectly legal, its an alarm not a weapon

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
In the current molly-codling climate, I think the biggest risk to you would be a law.suit for trillions following any injuries to any would be theives who might experience aural discomfort for a couple of days after as the two well intentioned, up-standing, entrepreneurial chaps were only trespassing on your property and casually, innocently checking the interity of you security.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know these are used sometimes to stop poachers on farmland, and have seen signs saying "Beware tripwires" that might cover you in a legal sense? But would also give the game away a bit.

I was thinking of attaching it just under the bike so animals could not trip it but it would go off if the bike was moved, it might be a bit late then however. Or i would forget it was there and set the thing off!

Or I could set it up on the gate, so it would go off if it was opened.

It would be good to put a better gate in, but im only renting this house at the moment so dont want to do too much work to it!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Connect it to the bike cover, when they remove it, it trips the device.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Tell the neighbours what you are doing, I expect you would get pleanty of support. Actually, if they know what is going on, you mught end up with a possy when it goes off.
Trouble is, if you don't catch them, they migh come back, mob handed for revenge.
You could have a look in CPC for a cheap camera and alarm, not so much fun but might be a better chance of catching the *&%^$%$ards.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live out in the sticks and these are very common. You often come across them tied across field gates and around pheasant pens. The main problem is forgetting they are there. On most occasions they are set off by the owner:oops:

But they do go off with a right royal band which would certainly give your visitors something to think about.:thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I do shoot quite a bit coming from a farming background, so I wonder how “Sorry Mr Judge must have got the live rounds mixed up with the blanks” would go down in court… :rolleyes:

Ive also got a big 3million candle power lamp, which I used to use for lamping rabbits. Might keep that next to the window as well
I am very tempted to use the blanks, but dont really want it to bring more hassle than its worth. Dont want to be up at six in the morning after the yobs have run away due to fright talking to the armed police.
Maybe just a bike alarm would work, but where is the fun in that!!?!

·
Xi dwejjaq member
921 Posts
Farmers fence

How about employing the electric fence (that you rural types use to encourage livestock to stay where you want 'em to graze) ... to deter those despicables intent upon interfering with your pride & joy property ?
Or man-traps ... No. They were outlawed some while ago.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Re: Farmers fence

Or man-traps ... No. They were outlawed some while ago.

They were banned by the PC prats they have to called person traps and need a licence and warning signs in 34 languages

set an electric fence all round your garden leaving the gate free until tripped
3 phase
would be best

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
why use blanks.
i know its a shame but the things are designed in such a way a live round wont work in them. they would fly apart, theres a plate over the end stopping anything coming out and 12bore blanks are a lot shorter than a live one anyway, or were the last time i saw one.

i was given some oiling rounds once, (look like live cartridges but only have a primer and some gun oil in them, after you clean your gun you use one of these as a snapcap and it shoots an oil coating down your barrel) very gimmicky and expensive but if you could put these in a ground mine filled with that ink you get in some clothes security tags, you could "paint" the thieving bast###s for all to see

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Or the neighbours cat :)

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
May I recommend a large dog as shown below: -

She certainly works for me, anyway!:thumbup::D

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts