Honda XRV Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Beautifully written. Common sentiment; just like that first wave that tells you that you are in a club you didn't know you had joined. Impossible to remove the smile from my face in response. :thumbup:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
I've just pulled this off that thread
Shamelessly stolen from Motorcycle Safety Site

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height,
programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sportbikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

And Finally...

Top Ten reasons Cruiser Riders don't wave back

10. New leather jacket was purchased at the same size as suit jacket.
9. Didn't know that the bike wouldn't fly off the road if left hand was removed.
8. Was looking at the handle bars wondering what accessory could mount where.
7. Was wildly grasping at some valve under seat. (3.7 gals BAH!)
6. Rider was actually pulling up black socks and pulling down on jeans trying to close a few air gaps.
5. Rider was too caught up in reciting his mantra 'Left hand clutch' 'Right hand Gas AND Front brake' 'Left foot Gears' 'Right foot Rear brake' 'And for Gods sake Both feet down at light'.
4. Waved after you went by. You just thought they didn't wave.
3. Was searching GPS to find local Bike wash.
2. Rider wasn't really waving, was doing wind airfoil test with hand and arm.
1. Rider was involved in trying to get new throttle stop to STOP.

Try that for size

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
lots of multi-directional snobbery going on in this thread.....

i remember the first nod i got in me 125 days and the realisation that it existed between strangers where motorbikes are concerned,

since then i must have nodded at a million other bikes

sometimes its just a slight tilt of the head so no need to gamble with your split seconds as you can keep your eyes on the road ahead.

i agree with sharrie you shouldn't generalise(generally speaking).

i think those that dont nod for whatever reason are in the minority otherwise nodding might have faded out.

and they say that 1 in 4 people are an ar$ehole anyway in all walks of life

chubby brown says "look at three of your friends and if it's not them it's f**king you!":D

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
lots of multi-directional snobbery going on in this thread.....
On the subject of (IMHO unnecessary, unhelpful and totally self-defeating biker snobbery), continuing from Boris's magic find. Only read this if you understand the gentle art of irony...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
sometimes the humurous side sums it all up better than any other means..

it's not the bikes we ride or how good we are at riding them or the clothes we wear or the places we ride or the weathers we ride in.

it's just the desire to want to get out and do it....

good find lulu:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My theory is allot of GS owners have watched ewan's adventures and decided they want a piece of it bought themselves the bike and all the gear but are not what I would call real bikers and dont understand what the bike culture is all about.

No matter how much they say it didn't and don't like to admit it, The Long Way Round has sold 100's of thousands on 'Aventure' motorcycling and the vast majority seem to have bought 1200 GS's. I was in a BMW dealer two summers ago when a guy who a week before returned to complain. He could barely get the thing on the centre stand and then went into the showroom and complained that the Rallye suit he had spent about £1000 wasn't waterproof. He had 1200GSA, new suit, enduro boots Tour-x, the full bolloxs and he was clueless. Still those big Ali panniers are very handy for the Tesco run.

The fact that every other bike you see on the road now is a 1200 GS is enough to put me off riding one.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Craicin day today so me and the missus went for a ride to the coast via the city.

On the way in I noticed a fair few GSs riding 2up like us, afforded the usual nod and received the usual ignorance yet they clearly seen us.

Pulled along a set of lights and a bike pulled alongside, nice clean red Triumph Tiger, L Reg. He admired my new Alp, turns out he'd just sent 6 months reconditioning his Tiger, lovely job too. He noticed the usual snobbery GS riders too. Had a good laugh chatting at each of the red lights round the ringroad.

Got bored counting them after a while so started ignoring them too so sorry if I ignored anyone who actually has a life and may read this. The rest can p##s off back to their warm garages for another 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i find i get "the nod" from most other bikers when out on my T/A but if i am out on my MTX200 i seem to be invisible! is this beacause it looks the same as a 125? not bothered i nod to EVERYONE!

181 - 192 of 192 Posts