Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never yet sold anything on there and feeling a bit lazy so am asking here,how much do eBay charge to sell on there?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Too much, we are unfortunately in britain where they think we can be fleeced.

·
Registered
379 Posts
And don't forget if you sell by paypal (which they try very hard to force on you) then you have to pay them a cut as well.

(I figure if you sell something on ebay and accept paypal then try and build in at the very least 20 - 25% it depends on the start price, reserve, how many pictures, final value fee (which can vary a lot depending on if you are selling near one of their price points) also the category affects the fees, paypal is a whole different range of fees!)

I used to sell a lot through ebay, but as it was only a way of making a bit of odd money I gave up when the fees became too much. My sister has an ebay based business and makes a good living out of it but she has time to research the best and cheapest way to sell stuff. These days I still use it to shift stuff but not very often.

Axe

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
do what everyone else does- one or all of these jolly japes;
1. put the item on for 99p to get a free listing, but put the P+P at a ridiculously high rate and post 2nd class.
2. get a mate to bid on it to just below what your willing to let it go for.
3. always put free collection and COD as a post option so your mate will not actually have to pay anything if nobody else bids, then give eachother great feedback and relist "an identical" item.
4. if its a big or valuable item and you dont want to start the auction at 99p, set a starting price of what you would be willing to sell it for, dont use a reserve it costs more and just annoys buyers.
5. write a decent ad. dont outright lie because ebay is completely biased to the buyers side, but ive bought loads of things for a song because the seller cant be bothered to describe the item well or has a really boring ad or a crap pic.
6. dont request your balance from paypal unless its over £50, they charge a fee for under £50 transfers. if its unlikely you'll ever have that much in there then have a look through ebay and buy something, use it up. it costs no fees to buy with. neither does ebay, which is why i gave up my sellers account they are just too greedy and the seller has to pay all the fees, and has none of the rights.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A mate sold a moped on Ebay for £23, they charged him £28 sellers fee.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
A mate sold a moped on Ebay for £23, they charged him £28 sellers fee.
yeah their vehicle sales is totally different than the other auctions, its a bigger fee for the ad and also a final sale percentage. i think they are so big now they think they can charge what they like. ebay would be the last resort for me.

i used to sell a lot of books and suddenly they reviewed their policies and i was expected to offer free royal mail P+P, because "its what buyers want"?
well, i dont bloody think so matey, i put "postage by alternate courier" so i could charge a reasonable ammout.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
yeah their vehicle sales is totally different than the other auctions, its a bigger fee for the ad and also a final sale percentage. i think they are so big now they think they can charge what they like. ebay would be the last resort for me.

i used to sell a lot of books and suddenly they reviewed their policies and i was expected to offer free royal mail P+P, because "its what buyers want"?
well, i dont bloody think so matey, i put "postage by alternate courier" so i could charge a reasonable ammout.
I looked at that policy and thought the way around it was to add P&P to the initial price so then the P&P box can say FREE.:thumbup:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I looked at that policy and thought the way around it was to add P&P to the initial price so then the P&P box can say FREE.:thumbup:
thats one way of doing it but when your selling a set of ten books and put free postage on it, you have to start the bidding on a tenner just to cover your costs. that puts a lot of buyers off from day 1 and costs more for the ad, if you do a 99p auction its free, they dont include postage costs in the fee. i like to be honest in my descriptions, some people are as thick as s##t and dont realise that books are like lumps of wood and you have to explain that theres no way i should be expected to post 8kg of books for nothing.
but some people expect something for nothing, these are the ones who complain to ebay and take all the sellers rights off them which is why i dont bother any more.
i have a month of selling before christmas selling any of nippers toys and books that are still "as new", foreign buyers always seem to go mad for toys they dont seem to have much in the way of toy choice, or they are extremely expensive. i have explained with the postage abroad the cost is sometimes twice what the new item cost in a shop here, but ive never had anyone backout of a sale. ive sent jigsaws to greece, toys to ukraine, even did a deal with a chinese woman in beijing where i sent her daughter some barbie doll accessories "from father christmas" and she sent my mother in law a load of the glass beads she loves, that cost a fortune here and pennies there. that was a good one.
another was a load of my mums catherine cookson VHS cassettes that went to a woman in america because they simply cant get them over there. i explained that our PAL system wont work in USA but she said no problem, she'd ebayed a VCR and TV from Britain too! you cant argue with determination like that......

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
do what everyone else does- one or all of these jolly japes;
2. get a mate to bid on it to just below what your willing to let it go for.
3. ... then give eachother great feedback and relist "an identical" item.
I realise that this kind of thing happens, but be aware that such "shill bidding" and is illegal. North Yorkshire Trading Standards recently secured a conviction against someone for doing just that:

BBC News - Fake eBay bidder in County Durham faces £50k fine
Login - Law-Now

·
Registered
379 Posts
I realise that this kind of thing happens, but be aware that such "shill bidding" and is illegal. North Yorkshire Trading Standards recently secured a conviction against someone for doing just that:

BBC News - Fake eBay bidder in County Durham faces £50k fine
Login - Law-Now

Doing it that way doesn't end up being free either, as you still sold the item in the eyes of Ebay you still have to pay the listing and final value fees.
For it to work properly you have to sell the item to your mate (unless a genuine bidder wins it) then start a dispute with them, both agree not to complete the sale and then your final value fees are refunded (IIRC you still have to pay the listing fees) but one aspect of the dispute being settled is that no feedback can be left for either party and any which has been left for that transaction is removed by ebay.

Axe

·
Registered
379 Posts
wow. after reading all this maybe i wont bother selling on eBay after all!
Give it a go, If you'v got something to get rid of it's worth it, but be prepared to not make as much profit as you think.

It can still be an adrenalin rush to watch the last hour or so of bidding.

But if you'v got something which is valuable then don't try selling that as a first go.

I'v let a car and a bike go for less than £600 each before fees both of which would have been worth twice that with a day of fettling, but at the time it was more trouble than it was worth and ebay provided some interesting entertainment for a couple of days.

You could try selling something worth next to nothing and practice your selling technique first? I once sold a second hand pair of boots for £25 and got offered a job in advertising/sales off the back of my listing and responces to questions.
It can be fun.

Axe

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
and if its high value gear some nigerian d1ck will bid well over the odds, kill the auction, agree to pay any extortionate postage to get the item to him and try to get you to accept a moneygram, take your cut and send the change to his sick relative in birmingham. and then a few weeks later after he's got your camera or whatever the money is claimed back from a stolen credit card, or "funds unavailable". there is no time limit on bounced cheques and moneygrams.

my mate was actually going to fall for this and accept a western union moneygram and send his volkswagon to south africa!!

i have sold a lot abroad quite happily, you soon spot the scammers with either no feedback or a lot of feedback in a short time from only a couple of different people etc, things dont ring true. eg i dont accept payments from non verified addresses (where the postal address is identical to the credit card registered address in paypal)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after all of this in my e-mail inbox this morning is one from eBay.

its a free listing weekend! hahahaha!! looks like i will sell stuff after all.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
eBay is ridiculously expensive, but they have a massive audience (and they know it) so can get away with charging over-the-top fees.

I'm making a small income at the moment from eBay, which is getting me through the doldrums of no work.

My tips are.

1) Consider when your auction will end, this is important This will dictate when you should list it. If it ends between 17:00 and 19:00, obviously half of your audience will be running out of work for their train, so won't be sitting there bidding.

2) Take clear pictures, and give clear descriptions. Use the title to describe your item and don't be a [email protected] and put words like "look" "bargain" "wicked" which waste your chances of your item being found in a search. Nobody searches for LOOK or WICKED!!

3) For God's sake, make sure you spell correctly in your description.

4) Don't try and be too smart with buyers or eBay, you will get your fingers burned. Dispute resolution always favours the buyer.

5) Anything you can't put in the post is a PITA to sell on eBay. People NEVER send deposits for vehicles and always turn up and want to haggle. I listed a Karmann Ghia on eBay a few years ago and took loads of pictures and described it quite clearly. The winner did pay the deposit, but then turned up after a 300 mile drive with a trailer and complained that I hadn't described it accurately. He tried to haggle the price. Needless to say he went home with an empty trailer, although I did slightly relent and gave him back half of his £100 deposit. I ended up selling it for more again on eBay to a Polish bloke who pitched up, paid cash, and drove it straight back to Poland to be restored.

6) Think twice about selling stuff for mates. This has always backfired on me, and I ended up getting bad feedback for it. I sold a Land Rover Defender for a mate, and clearly listed it as UK only, and £100 deposit within 24 hours otherwise it would be relisted. The winning bidder was in Germany, and didn't send the deposit or answer any emails. Over a week later, after eBay had taken their fees, he moaned then left me negative feedback. It's still there spoiling my unblemished feedback!

7) I tend to get better luck nowdays by listing items with a realistic BUY IT NOW price, but with an option to MAKE AN OFFER. It seems to cut out on timewasters.

8) Free P&P is enforced on some categories to overcome some of the cheap listings from Hong Kong, selling 50" flat screen tv's for £1 with £500 postage fees. If you listed the same thing in the UK, everyone would drive round and pick up their £1 TV's wouldn't they, whereas this isn't an option for something in Hong Kong.

When everything goes right on eBay, it's a great, but expensive way to sell stuff, but remember the economy is suffering at the moment, so if you're thinking of selling stuff because times are hard, you may find that there aren't so many buyers out there with money to chuck around like there were a few years ago.

:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts