Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled the GSA and without even trying to top it off I got over £40 in the tank :eek: This was 34.94 litres and I know I could have got a bit more in if I had tried.

Question is I thought the tank was 33 litres and it's clearly not. Anyone any idea how big it is and how many miles, if any, are left when the countdown reaches zero (mine was at 11)? Unlike other bikes not many I suggest.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Did you do the comedy, double-take check for fuel gushing out underneath, Gordon? (ust what I did the 1st time I filled the @.... :) )

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Nothing to add, just a bit peeved at the cheap petrol you guys get...

Last top-up the stuff went for 25p more than that per liter, and it's a thirsty old cow.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I was only saying to sharrie with the petrol increase how much will it cost to fill up my little beasty disgustdisgust.
Vader has had minus 14 on his GSA range clock.:D
That would scare me sheite less about pushing her to a garage, But Pete has no fear :D:D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If I was a conspiracy theorist I might suggest that you got 33 litres, but they cahrged you for 35!

I'm not conspiracy theorist......they are out to get you: that is a fact not a theory....

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
With 11 miles left the tank was obviously empty. I applaud your bravery in trusting your fuel computer that much. It's only supposed to be a 33litre tank it wouldn't be unheard of for a garage to do this though.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
With 11 miles left the tank was obviously empty. I applaud your bravery in trusting your fuel computer that much. It's only supposed to be a 33litre tank it wouldn't be unheard of for a garage to do this though.
hmmm yup i would say the garage is screwing you over:p

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't being brave, just stoopid :rolleyes: I assumed it was like most cars in that when you get to zero there is still at least 20 or so miles to go.

I know better now.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
hmmm yup i would say the garage is screwing you over:p
Next time you're filling up take a calibrated 1 ltr container and pump out 1 ltr to see if you are - then summon the manager / trading standards......

This may not be the most scientific check and would likely need a bigger comparison - 5 ltrs etc to see what margin of error (if any) the pump could be delivering

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd send that picture off to trading standards anyway,
Include a description (what bike you filled, tank size, garage name/location etc etc)

They will investigate and take action if the garage is found to be cheating you (and they should let you know the outcome of any investigation)

I'v done similar things through trading standards in the past (pubs serving short measures usually)

for the ten minutes it takes to report, you might save yourself a few quid next time you fill up if they are found to be cheating and are made to tow the line.

Axe.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A 33 litre tank should have space for 37 litres.
It is down to the expansion allowed in hot weather, the army UBRE has a 2100 litre tank which was only allowed to hold 1500 litres, due to expansion and weight.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got this back from trading standards.

Further to your email I have received your complaint regarding possible short measure fuel. It is common for tank capacities to vary in their construction and take a degree more than the manufacturer's specification. Also, the tank capacity will often be excluding any filler neck capacity etc.

I will be happy, however, to visit the site and check that the pump in question is accurate. As I will be using my powers to perform these checks, I'm afraid I will be unable to inform you of the results of the tests I carry out.

I would also remind you that use of electronic equipment in such close proximity to petrol pumps is not advisable, especially if the picture you took was using a mobile telephone.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me

So I have a filler neck that holds two litres then. I especially liked the bit about the photo. :cheers: I must remember not to park the care or bike so close next time as they are full of electronics.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Got this back from trading standards.

I would also remind you that use of electronic equipment in such close proximity to petrol pumps is not advisable, especially if the picture you took was using a mobile telephone.

So I have a filler neck that holds two litres then. I especially liked the bit about the photo. :cheers: I must remember not to park the care or bike so close next time as they are full of electronics.
oh sweet lord what planet are these people on:rolleyes:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well worth the email though.

At least now the garage will get a visit and if they are taking the p155 they will be made to tow the line.

Axe

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
These guys obviously don't watch Myth Busters

"Myth statement Status Notes
Using one's cell phone while pumping gasoline can cause an explosion. = Busted
After singeing Adam's eyebrow in a small-scale test, the team attempts to ignite a mock gas can. A properly-working cell phone failed to ignite gasoline, even when surrounded by gasoline vapor with the optimum fuel-air mix for ignition. The actual risk comes from an electrostatic discharge between a charged driver and the car, often a result of static electricity buildup from getting into and out of the vehicle. Re-tested in Myths Revisited, the conclusion was validated."

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Vader has had minus 14 on his GSA range clock.:D
That would scare me sheite less about pushing her to a garage, but Pete has no fear :D:D
Nah: he's just used to having to push his... :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
As has already been said you will get more than 33 litres in (I've managed 35) but this "overfilling" the tank. The reason for BMW giving it a 33 litre capacity is for expansion and putting it on the sidestand.

As regarding using eletronic equipment in "hazardous areas". The components in pumps are rated not to cause an ignition source in these areas and cannot be compared to 'phones and the like that are not rated. In the Oil & Gas industry specially constructed radios are used to copmmunicate.

Petrol stations are constructed the way they are to prevent a build up of flamable gases as car engines are not rated as "explosion proof".

Don't wish to be a bore but I wouldn't use any radio gear in a service station - the notices are there for a purpose.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As has already been said you will get more than 33 litres in (I've managed 35) but this "overfilling" the tank. The reason for BMW giving it a 33 litre capacity is for expansion and putting it on the sidestand.
I know you can normally overfill tanks but I didn't do that. I simply bunged the nozzle in the tank and when it clicked I lifted it up a bit so the end of the nozzle was level with the BOTTOM of the neck and fully squeezed again. When it stopped next time I finished. No trickling it in like I usually do. It took just shy of 35 litres and hopefully there was at least one in the tank before I started.

As regarding using eletronic equipment in "hazardous areas". The components in pumps are rated not to cause an ignition source in these areas and cannot be compared to 'phones and the like that are not rated. In the Oil & Gas industry specially constructed radios are used to copmmunicate.

Petrol stations are constructed the way they are to prevent a build up of flamable gases as car engines are not rated as "explosion proof".

Don't wish to be a bore but I wouldn't use any radio gear in a service station - the notices are there for a purpose.
This has been done to death many times. Petrol is explosive but sparks are everywhere from dodgey HT leads to the courtesy light switches on the car doors they all produce a spark. The trick as you say is clearing the fumes before they get a chance to accumulate.

One rumour years ago was the notices were only put up as the emf from radio transmitters was buggering up the metering of the early electronic pumps so it was a commercial decision as opposed to a safery one.

Just look at the use of mobiles on planes. Now the carriers can see a few bob in it the safety fears have all but melted away.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Do you know if that is typical of the bike industry or just BMW (who for instance uniquely used to say their cars were slower than they were)? Taking yours and Stumpyfingers' comments together, am I to understand that if in Winter I get 28litres into my 28litre tank there was probably three litres in there to start with? So that one has a longer Winter touring range? :confused:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts