Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
I guess he's never heard of spray on chain cleaner!!

That looks like it hurt man, I thought common sense would tell you not to put your fingers so close to a moving chain and sprockets though!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Believe it or not but you do not feel it.
When I lost my two fingers I only felt it 8 hours later and it was pain beyond explanation.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Bonus points for remembering to take a few pics of the amputated fingers before & during the hospital visit, then posting them onthe internet to show everyone :eek:

Phil

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I lost the end of one finger while cleaning my chain, but not with the bike running in gear I might add!

I used to get the back wheel up in a paddock stand, spray a rag, hold it wrapped around the chain, then spin the wheel the same way every time, sensibly, so if the rag got caught it would take my hand away from the sprocket.

That was until the one day decided to remove the gloopy chain guard, and then commenced my normal procedure, but holding the top part of the chain!

Luckily, they sewed my finger back on, but that was after I almost fainted, and the nurse almost fainted, when the doctor had to remoove the remains of my fingernail with pliers and a sharp yank!!!

:withstupid:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Wont be playing with his willy today then, or wiping his arse, That smarts :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
OMG!

That looks like it HURT..........

I'll stick to not cleaning my chain, Refill Scotoiler, allow everything to get a nice protective layer of oil, Job done....

Axe

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
he'll soon find out who his real friends are now:D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
ouch! He'll not do that again in a hurry!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
A simple rule someone told me at college last week; it applies to exactly this type of situation

"Don't stick your finger where you wouldn't stick your kn*b"

Keep that in mind and you'll never hurt your digits.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
One of the guys at this weeks event has half a thumb missing. Of course I asked and guess what? He did it cleaning his chain with the engine running. He only has shaft drives now :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
This is so common. It happened to a guy I knew back in Uni. It was a Suzuki B120 and was idling in gear on the stand. He had lubed the chain and overdone it and decided to clean off the excess. He doesn't know why he did this as he was aware of the danger but he picked up a cloth...

Everything went well until the rear sprocket picked up the cloth and pulled his hand into and around the rear sprocket. His fingers jammed it and stalled the bike. There he was, with a B120 stuck to his hand. He had to turn the back wheel with his other hand to wind his stumps out of the sprocket so he could get help.

Having seen the injury first hand (no pun intended) and the amount of physio it took for him to get over the injury, I have always managed to overcome that inner idiot that we all have that says 'Ooh, that looks a bit messy. Give it a quick wipe...'.

Fair play to the bloke for taking and posting the pics :thumbright:.

·
White van man
560 Posts
Back in the seventies i was a tyre fitter for a large haulage company.

One of the truck mechanics slipped while working on a truck engine, threw his hands out, straight into the fan, ouch.

The gaffer fetched him out of hospital after a few days of surgery. His hands were bandaged like two big snowballs.

So, we took him to the pub for a few beers to cheer him up.

As the beer flowed he needed a pee :confused: How was that gonna happen?

None of us were willing to help :D

So we sent him home to his wife in a taxi, with a bladder at 35psi.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
One of my in-laws has a friend they all call 'Johnny Fingers' - he works / worked in a sawmill... ***fill**in**blanks**here***

I have, incidentally, had to become 'personal pub assistant' to a friend-of-a-friend who'd lost use of both arms through a bike crash... Not as bad as it sounds, after a couple of drinks :( :eek: :cool:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Definalty the argument for use of a scottoiler

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Well I think that kind of mistake is easier to make than we care to think. After all The cloth pulled his hand into the sprocket. As others have said, what kind of mentality says, "Ooh, look, my fingers have been cut and mangled let's phone for an ambulance... No wait! Take a photo first!" :confused:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts

Naaaa he's left handed
10 outa 10 for camera work:thumbup:
that quote about dicks and fingers was taught to me as well unfortunately I've still chopped a finger off, thankfully not my own although the poor lad never let me forget and always showed me the stinky finger when he saw me.
Recovery "A" frames are not to be messed with

1 - 20 of 26 Posts