Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

new to bikes + mechanics in general so bear with me please...

ive replaced the oil + filter on my 700xl transalp and afterwards noticed that there is a slight weep around the seal.

I didnt have a torque wrench on me, but as i've done with cars i understood hand tight is ok, and too tight is worse than too loose as you have to start again if you split the seal.

however, because of the weep i thought i probably should get a torque wrench in there and do it to recommend settings to see where ive gone wrong, but the t.wrench, socket, and filter tool assembled together means theres no room to fit the whole thing in to turn the filter!

do most people go hand tight? i dont think i can get it much tighter but dont want to split it. any suggestions or is it time to drain it and start again?

ta

·
Registered
767 Posts
Did you smear the filter seal with oil when fitting - I use a filter socket and then just nip it up

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yep, just a nip up here, either by hand or with the filter tool. Does anyone actually torque oil filters...?

Did you check the filter seat area was clean, they can get minged up with chain lube which dislodges when you remove tge old filter.
Did you oil the seal? If so is the excess running off, if not (why not?) Did the seal distort when tightening?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't. The brands I use Hiflo and K&N say tighten 3/4 of a turn from finger tight, when the seal touches. The Hiflo brand have numbers 1 to 8 printed evenly around them. I now write the numbers on any that aren't marked. Last time I wrote them in the wrong direction and had to think a bit harder to get it right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the replies.

ok good, going by hand tight is the right method then. i didnt notice the seal distort when tightening.

i didnt smear with oil when i put it on, but it seems like it came pre-lubed. it had like a grease on it so assumed this was serving the same purpose?

i used a hiflo too @Jackflash - do these also need an oil smear?

sounds like the dislodged chain lube could be the issue as there was quite a bit of that running down the side stand too. ( i cleaned the chain at the same time so its a bit hard to pin point)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes I do smear oil on seal. I usually partly pre-fill/prime the filter with oil. This usually leaves a small pool of oil on the return part of the filter and I use this oil to smear the seal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi all,

new to bikes + mechanics in general so bear with me please...

ive replaced the oil + filter on my 700xl transalp and afterwards noticed that there is a slight weep around the seal.

I didnt have a torque wrench on me, but as i've done with cars i understood hand tight is ok, and too tight is worse than too loose as you have to start again if you split the seal.

however, because of the weep i thought i probably should get a torque wrench in there and do it to recommend settings to see where ive gone wrong, but the t.wrench, socket, and filter tool assembled together means theres no room to fit the whole thing in to turn the filter!

do most people go hand tight? i dont think i can get it much tighter but dont want to split it. any suggestions or is it time to drain it and start again?

ta
Remove, Clean , check seal and base cleanliness then reinstall.. This should take care of any leaks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
think ive managed to sort it, i slightly tightened more by hand and it appears not to be leaking any more. i think i had managed to over fill the bike too. I know thats not good long term but hopefully noticed in time but that probably hasnt helped pressure + leak wise.

not sure how i managed to over fill it. was on the centre stand, level ground, cautious and kept adding, checking, adding etc.

pre-filling the filter is a good tip

I read it was meant to be 2.9litres to fill?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts