Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can anyone give me a step by step guide to accessing/changing the air filter on a 2002 Transalp, i.e. how to get the tank off etc....?

Thanks
John

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
From memory.....

Remove seat
Remove lower side panel screws (into front subframe above bashplate)
Remove clock surround screws
Pull 2 side panel fixings each side out from tank (1 top 1 bottom)
Remove clock surround
Remove tank securing bolt (under seat)
Pull off fuel pipe from tank
Lift tank and pull off 2 hoses underneath (overflow & breather?)
Remove tank
Undo numerous screws and remove airbox cover
Swop filter (was much easier on the 600 but stand back and admire the 650's underseat storage)
Re-attaching the 2 undertank pipes is a B*STARD

Disclaimer:
As we 'speak' I have consumed several (9) bottles of Kronenbourg and may have the order slightly boss-eyed. Take your time with the above procedure and bear in mind that all plastics are brittle and just dying to fragment to make you laugh. The proper way is to remove the whole front fairing - I have described the shortcut.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Slightly pie eyed or not, the order of removal is okay. Good job recycler !
No need to remove the front fairing halves or pull forward, the tank will be free once the saide fairing tabs are released from the tank. The previous bits like the clock surround etc., do need to be removed, to give the whole plot some flex, or it will break - that's a certainty.
Good thing you don't have to get at it often, but what a PITA adjusting the balance of the carbs........ removing the tank to get to the hole through the aircleaner housing leading to the adjusting screw of the carb links - bloody ridiculous !

·
Registered
323 Posts
jackafrica said:
Slightly pie eyed or not, the order of removal is okay. Good job recycler !
No need to remove the front fairing halves or pull forward, the tank will be free once the saide fairing tabs are released from the tank. The previous bits like the clock surround etc., do need to be removed, to give the whole plot some flex, or it will break - that's a certainty.
Good thing you don't have to get at it often, but what a PITA adjusting the balance of the carbs........ removing the tank to get to the hole through the aircleaner housing leading to the adjusting screw of the carb links - bloody ridiculous !
Amen to that, it's not a job I want to do often.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Re-attaching the 2 undertank pipes is a B*STARD - EUREKA!

"Re-attaching the 2 undertank pipes is a B*STARD "

Using a bit of lateral thinking, a solution to the above:

Cut the pipes where they are accessible (i.e. where they are exposed below the level of the tank) and rejoin with a plastic pipe connector from halfords after the tank has been refitted. No need to fight for hours scraping knuckles trying to reattach to bottom of tank with one hand, while holding up the tank with the other.

John :geek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have just spent some time getting to the stage of removing the tank as described above, having not read this thread before i had removed the whole front fairing (Bastard), but have one question before i go any further.

I don't know about the 02 model but the 04 does not have a fuel tap as such so if i pull the pipe off will i have fuel pissing all over the place or does it work on a vacuum principle to suck the fuel thru?

I am doing this to remove the restricter that i had to have fitted which i believe is somewhere between the airbox and the carbs, any ideas or knowledge would be very helpful.

Cheers

Loic

·
Registered
582 Posts
Glad I've got a 600. Whole job takes about 15 mins.

IanS

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
If it's 'owt like the girlfriend's 600 Monster, the restrictors will be between the carb's and inlet stubs (engine side of carb's).

You should get enough movement by slackening the jubilee type clips and pulling the carbs up a tad and use a screwdriver or piece of wire to hook the washers out.

Be sure to seat the carbs properly and be ready for the ripsnorting power of the trusty steed!!!

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Why that sounds like a practical bike! All that work just to change the air filter. Buy an Africa Twin and all you need to undo is 4 screws and you've got the air filter out! Easy peasy, lemon squessy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts