Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first of many questions no doubt.

I am picking up my Africa Twin tomorrow and whilst it was in the garage at work today I gave it a clean.

I noticed that on both wheels there seems to be pitting which has discoloured the alloy.

How do you get the wheels up like new. I tried with some Muc off but it dosen't shift it.

Any ideas peeps?

Jon :cyclops:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The wheels do not really live up to the bike's quality-image and the price these bikes could once be found at in the show room. Imho there is a disappointely long list of things that does not live up to that (my old RD03 was substantially better built than the RD07 I have now, not sure about the RD04's), but basically it is still a great bike that with a bit of care and improvements should be mandatory material in every biker's garage. Looking at the number of newbies here, it seems we are getting pretty close to that :cheers:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to agree Robelst,

My 98 VFR was the fuel injected Fi model and when
you compare it against my mates 96 model vfr750
you could see that the older model was so much better finished.

It seems that as they bring out newer models the quality of the older ones always seems better.

I will probably get the wheels repolished in the spring. I can handle some dirt etc but my wheels have to be mint.

Jon

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unfortunately if you're wheels are pitted, this means that the Anodizing has been oxidised.
You could sand the Anodizing to the bare ally and Polish to a Mirror finish, this is a bit maintenance intensive as you'll have to polish them pretty regularly.
You could get them re-anodized at around 40quid each, but as you need to remove the spokes and rebuild it probably getting some new rims and lace em with SS spokes around 300 quid though !
BTW I thought a recognised your avatar from the VFR Club.
I've also a '98 VFR(with polished wheels !) another excellent machine, pretty much the opposite of the @
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah, I can't complain about the build quality of my RD03. It's 'neglected' at best, but the thing refuses to fall apart.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have an arbour (polishing cloth) that fits on my electric drill. for polishing the TVR wheels. These are soft alloy, and pit, dent, and are easily marked by stone chips. but a bit of autosol on the cloth, give it a bit of water, and prepare to get covered !!!.... brings the car wheels out a real treat.. you could try that to sort out the pitting, followed by a coat of lacquer (from Halfrauds)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will give that a go,

I have a drill atatchment for polishing but i
don't think it will get between the spokes.

Jon

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posiwev said

"BTW I thought a recognised your avatar from the VFR Club.
I've also a '98 VFR(with polished wheels !) another excellent machine, pretty much the opposite of the @ "

Yes Thats me but I no longer have the VFR. I didn't have much luck
with it unfortunatly and during the Autria trip last year I saw the people on the GS's and tiger's etc and thought I would opt for a more upright riding position.

Very comfy it is to. seat not included of course.

Jon :cyclops:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I spray a small amount of WD40 onto a cloth and give them a rub, be careful not to get any on the tyre tread, gives them a nice shine

·
Registered
552 Posts
If your wheels are pitted on the outer rim, then you have corrosion on the inner rim. WD40 will repel water for approximately one Month, then it becomes hydroscopic. The AT is a great Bike made frome very poor materials.

Try ACF 50. it costs an arm and a leg, but it works.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
This is on my GS which mr BWM have also not got right yet..

I have tried this Hammerite Metal Degreaser from Halfrauds over the weekend. Now make no mistake my rims is past the point of getting them shiny ever again never mind clean.

This is before.....

And after spraying some of this stuff on and rinsing it with cold water after a few minutes.

When it's warmer will try this with maybe a electric toothbrush and then autosol it again afterwards and see what happens. I bought the bike with the rims like this and can't stand it but if they so far gone you spend hours trying to get them to look decent and then they still look crap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Maverick,

Mine are not as bad as yours but I have the same sort of problem.

I did Autosolve them with a drill atatchment and it did improve them a lot however trying to get in between the spokes...... forget it.

I will wait till spring and maybe get them redone.

Maybe gold like the imports as I have a black and gold @. :cyclops:

Jon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts