Honda XRV Forum banner
17K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  Daffyd 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had an Africa Twin before and used it for a trip through Africa. I liked the bike very much. It proved to be very reliable.

Now i'm contemplating getting an Africa Twin. Part because i'm getting the itch go on an adventure once again, partially because i like to farkle/modify bikes. I dont like old stuff/classics, but for the Africa Twin i make an exception. One thing i didnt like was the weight.

So if i get one, what could i do to shed weight in a sensible way? Any idea or numbers about the actual savings?

- Changing to a plastic/fiberglass tank? They are also are bigger in capacity, but as long as the tank isnt full, it should be lighter right?
- different brake discs (had experience with braking before. Was 200gr if i remember correct. Which in unsprung weight counts extra.
- front forks?
- rally fairing including headlights and aluminium dashboard frame?
- aftermarket exhaust?
- alu handlebars?
- different hubs/rims?
- skid plate in carbon?
- stealth rear sprocket?
- how to lowering centre of gravity?

And of course:
- soft luggage. Had fairly good experience with wolfman luggage
- packing light

Before you bring out the pie argument. My weight is spot on for my age and lenght, so nothing to gain there in a healthy way ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Changing out the exhaust and wheels will net you the most. Removing rear pegs and all other nonessential stuff as well as a solo seat. Other than that, looks like you have everything covered. I've been saving up for a set of Magadan soft bags myself. :cool:

#4 ·
Yeah, thanks for pointing out the website. I had a look at all kinds of carbin/kevlar stuff.
But i'm curious for numbers. What are realistic weight saving numbers.

Im just hoping someone took the trouble to weight some stuff or had a project bike go on a diet

#13 ·
Yeah, thanks for pointing out the website. I had a look at all kinds of carbin/kevlar stuff.
But i'm curious for numbers. What are realistic weight saving numbers.

Im just hoping someone took the trouble to weight some stuff or had a project bike go on a diet
Hey, sorry for reopening this old thread, but I'm thinking of the same thing.
Was there a positive develop in your quest @darkhelmet? Have you managed to shed some weight of the Africa?

Thanks!

#5 ·
I found going to the gym and cutting down on the proverbial pies more useful...and I've done a lot of proper off-roading on mine. It's got a Venom exhaust and new wheels but not for weight purposes - because I like the noise and the old rims were f*cked!

Gym doesn't beat proper 'bike time' though especially for off-roading. Your forearms, quads, and glutes will hate you.:D

Even being the correct weight doesn't mean much if there's not much muscle/stamina where it's needed. :)

#8 ·
That seat certainly looks no worse than the real one

#19 ·
full kit,
custom;
mudguard
carbon fairing
side panels
Rear brake lever
magura clutch
footpeg brackets
sidestand
RC30 fast action throttle
wiring loom
CBR / CR switch gear
chain guide
brake line guide
Excel rims w/stainless spokes
Leo Vince Exhaust

lots of stuff removed.

Next steps are CRF Rally screen and new carbon fairing and CRF Rad shrouds in carbon and new carbon bashguard.

#21 ·
Magura were really nice, they sent me a couple of master cylinders and a few slave cylinders so I could try a few options. Its not that hard to do. I used a mountain bike brake cable adjuster with the standard cable clutch bracket
And get the master cylinder with the choke lever

#30 ·
Magura were really nice, they sent me a couple of master cylinders and a few slave cylinders so I could try a few options. Its not that hard to do. I used a mountain bike brake cable adjuster with the standard cable clutch bracket
And get the master cylinder with the choke lever View attachment 165739
Hey, can you please show more if your bike? For insiration?

#25 ·
I am not worried, it only has to be used a couple of times a day so isnt being used all the time. Phones and laptops etc that have caught fire have done so because apps etc are overloading them. So I think they are fine. Besides I have used them for a few years in bikes and not had a fire yet :)

#42 · (Edited)
#28 ·
One in use and the other is actually more of an abuse(a crash - I don't know if it' a mechanical rupture of the cell or a heavy short circuit). But it's one of those things you can't do anything about and you just wait for it to finish. Wouldn't want to see this to a bike that had a ton of custom work done to it.
Maybe cranking it cold after it has been sitting for a long time should be done with a bypass from a spare lead acid battery. After all it happens only in the garage and in the other cases it takes half a second to start so normal cranking doesn't put a strain on the battery.
On a side note - did you change your voltage regulators to a li-ion specific if there are any?

#29 ·
I see what youre saying. But I am ok with the risks, I always warm up the battery before starting the bike (A KTM tip) and as I and friends all have them with no issues, I am confident they are ok.

latest job is making it easier to remove the seat without having to remove the side panels. (An old carbon seatpost provides the basic shape)
Brass Automotive exhaust
Brass Automotive exhaust

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.