Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm desperate. I detached all the screws, wires, pipes from the airbox and after spent more than a hour I'm still unable to remove the airbox :(
We (my friend and me) tried on every possible way, no luck, I start thinking the frame was welded with that bloody box inside.
Please give me an advice, I'm completely clueless.

IMAG0750.jpg

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Is it bolted inside?
Take side off and have a looksee

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This whole housing is one unit, can not take apart any further. It is moving freely in every direction now, but it is just too big to easily pull it out to any directions.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Does the sub-frame unbolt then the air box slide out the front????? just a suggestion never worked on a TA before

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Have no fear someone will have no dought worked on these before and will be along shortly to help ya.

Got a pic of the other side

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have no fear someone will have no dought worked on these before and will be along shortly to help ya.

Got a pic of the other side
I have a feeling this strip-refurbish-repaint-rebuild project is way over my limitations :)
Here is the other side of this evil box.
IMAG0752.jpg
The only possible way would be down, but there is the swingarm.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
On the second pic take out the bottom bolt .
Looking at the pics will give you a little space to manouver.
I'm not certain but move box to the left pipe side and try and rotate bottom up.
If that don't work try rotating the other way,it must come outa the left side of the frame , the buggers put it in there it must come out.
Take everything off the box , all screws ,rubbers fixings that can come off take off.

People have to change the shock on these and that's behind the airbox

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All bolts and pipe has been removed (it can't be seen on these pictures, but I swear we removed every possible bits), still too big to get if off.
Tomorrow I will make a video footage. You are right, they put it there somehow so there must be a proper and easy way to remove.
If nothing else helps I will contact a shaman or Harry Potter to do some magic here :)

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
I've removed one in years gone by from a scrap bike I broke for spares. Can't remember having a problem like your experiencing though!

I'll take a look at the airbox itself tomorrow (if I can find it! I know it's in the garage somewhere :rolleyes:) and try and confirm the number of bolt on points there are on it.

Steve T

:cool:

Reactions: paulc

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, thanks!

Is it possible the frame is damaged and that is the problem?
I haven't seen or experienced any problem with the bike while the fairing was on.
How can I check if the frame bended, twisted or damaged on any other way?

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Iv recently stripped my 91 Alp to the frame, see here http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/84955-violet-gets-face-lift.html

Cant remember exactly how i removed it

Pretty sure it came out down through the sub frame, think i moved it to the left and then tilted it down and out

But the swingarm and rear shock were both removed at the time which must of given more clearance

Just use the old 'wiggle and whack' technique!

Good luck!

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
Apologies for not getting back sooner.

Can't find the old airbox in the garage - must have sold it years ago.

again, apologies for not replying sooner.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries mate, thanx for the effort :)
Saturday I'm gonna remove the swingarm and the spring, so it can be removed downward.
If not I have a massive sledge hammer, that can solve any kind of problem :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
hi the air box is held with two blots on top, one below the battery box, and one hidden on the left hand side at the back of the engine just above the starter motor and you will need to remove the bolt that holds the coils just where the tank bolts to. hope this helps.

Dan TTB1

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers mate, the problem is not the bolts (found and removed all of them).
It is just too big to pull it out from the frame.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
after I removed the spring I've been able to get rid of that airfilter-box, but it wasn't easy. I'm sure there must be a much more easier way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts